Author Topic: Fed vs Nadal semi match prediction  (Read 938 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Fed vs Nadal semi match prediction
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 06:11:35 AM »
I think he cares more.  Because he knows that 17 is at risk.  He wants that record to stick... it may on it's own, but just one more makes it that much harder.
Then why no drastic change in game plan v. Raf?
Content to let someone else knock him out?
Belief that he can beat Nadal from the baseline?
Hope for a Nadal injury?

I'm of the mind that if Fed wants another slam and knows he has to go through Nadal, some strategic changes (which he is capable of) are in order. 

Serve big both serves.
1st strike tennis on every point.
Move into the forecourt at least 75% of the time when an opportunity presents itself.
Deny the rhythm Nadal seeks.  Let no point last more than 4 shots.
Move Raf North / South rather than East / West.
Scorn the stall and every other sort of gamesmanship Nadal employs.
No mercy.

Is he so arrogant that he thinks he can beat Nadal at his own game?
He hinted at this in an interview several years ago by saying he didn't need to change strategy in order to beat Nadal.  Well Rogi, apparently you've gone a bit soft in the head.  It's time for a change or you might as well give him the walkover next time.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »
I think he cares more.  Because he knows that 17 is at risk.  He wants that record to stick... it may on it's own, but just one more makes it that much harder.
Then why no drastic change in game plan v. Raf?
Content to let someone else knock him out?
Belief that he can beat Nadal from the baseline?
Hope for a Nadal injury?

I'm of the mind that if Fed wants another slam and knows he has to go through Nadal, some strategic changes (which he is capable of) are in order. 

Serve big both serves.
1st strike tennis on every point.
Move into the forecourt at least 75% of the time when an opportunity presents itself.
Deny the rhythm Nadal seeks.  Let no point last more than 4 shots.
Move Raf North / South rather than East / West.
Scorn the stall and every other sort of gamesmanship Nadal employs.
No mercy.

Is he so arrogant that he thinks he can beat Nadal at his own game?
He hinted at this in an interview several years ago by saying he didn't need to change strategy in order to beat Nadal.  Well Rogi, apparently you've gone a bit soft in the head.  It's time for a change or you might as well give him the walkover next time.

Good stuff!  I recall seeing *some* Fed-Rafa match over the last few years, where Fed did some of this.  Specifically, he employed quick strike tennis and didn't give Nadal any rhythm.  Maybe it was one of their London matchups?  Regardless, I thought it worked great.  Heh, or maybe it was a Fed-Djokovic matchup, where the same principle applies.

I was happy to see Fed moving Nadal up in the court with his drop volleys - and they worked great.  Nadal was able to run them down, but couldn't do anything with them.  I thought Fed tried to make some changes, but ran into the same problem that Rafa used to be accused of - he'd attack for a couple of games, then back off.  Thought P Mac nailed it when talking about it during today's final - of course, as P Mac said, it's easier to stick to the changes when you're ahead.  Maybe Fed will learn from watching Stan today :)

Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 04:36:33 AM »
Dudess gotta know when he walks on the court he's going to get thrashed if he tries to play Nadal from the baseline.  What's going on between his ears or legs that prevents him from taking the risks necessary to try something different?  I wonder if he's come to terms with losing to Raf and now finds it acceptable?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
Dudess gotta know when he walks on the court he's going to get thrashed if he tries to play Nadal from the baseline.  What's going on between his ears or legs that prevents him from taking the risks necessary to try something different?  I wonder if he's come to terms with losing to Raf and now finds it acceptable?

Sure hope he doesn't find it acceptable.  Can't imagine it not pissing him off.  But he has to fight more at this point, because Rafa is so frigging comfortable against him now.  Some of Rafa's shots in the semi were ridiculous.  One of my favorites was him drawing Fed wide to the forehand and coming in - Fed hit a pretty sweet slice cross-court.  Rafa takes it out of the air, topspin, near the service line, when the ball was at his frickin' knees.  Are you kidding me?  That's the sign of a guy who's completely comfortable with whatever.  So it's a bigger hurdle than just Fed playing well - somehow he's gotta get Rafa to come down too.

I'm hoping that all we saw were some glimpses of what's to come, given that the Edberg relationship has just begun.  But hard to tell, Fed's been stubborn before.  Once or twice.  :innocent:
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »

Sure hope he doesn't find it acceptable.  Can't imagine it not pissing him off.  But he has to fight more at this point, because Rafa is so frigging comfortable against him now.  Some of Rafa's shots in the semi were ridiculous.  One of my favorites was him drawing Fed wide to the forehand and coming in - Fed hit a pretty sweet slice cross-court.  Rafa takes it out of the air, topspin, near the service line, when the ball was at his frickin' knees.  Are you kidding me?  That's the sign of a guy who's completely comfortable with whatever.  So it's a bigger hurdle than just Fed playing well - somehow he's gotta get Rafa to come down too.

I'm hoping that all we saw were some glimpses of what's to come, given that the Edberg relationship has just begun.  But hard to tell, Fed's been stubborn before.  Once or twice.  :innocent:
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Disruption.
Intentional.
Intimidating if necessary.
No rhythm.  Don't allow the stalling or the antics.
Make war.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »

Make war.

If he could he would've by now. Bumrushing the net against Nadal is pure suicide.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 04:18:02 AM »

Make war.

If he could he would've by now. Bumrushing the net against Nadal is pure suicide.
Pure suicide is thinking you can rally with Nadal from the baseline.
I don't consider a well-laid out strategic plan for first strike tennis a 'bumrush'.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »

Make war.

Pure suicide is thinking you can rally with Nadal from the baseline.
I don't consider a well-laid out strategic plan for first strike tennis a 'bumrush'.

Agree.  I thought Wawrinka did a great job of showing that Nadal can be approached, both off the serve and off the ground.  IMO Stanimal put more on his approaches - more penetrating and maybe a little deeper.  Though another factor may be that Rafa was less comfortable against Wawrinka.  That's just something Fed is going to have to suck up and play through.  Reverting back to his plan B of trying to play baseline is going to get him mauled, so why not keep attacking?

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Something to remember about the Aussie final though before the injury...

Stanimal was continuing his aggressive style from the past week and serving near perfect.  Yet Nadal, was one breakpoint from 3 wasted in that final game of the set to changing the tune of the entire show.

I think Nadal can be effectively combatted in baseline rallies.  You just have to be able to cover tremendous ground and turn defense into offense on a dime.  See "Novak Djokovic" for the blueprint.

The issue with the attacking game nowadays, is that these guys are soo good that you have to be near flawless (Stanimal , Del Potro few years back), otherwise they will turn it on you in a heartbeat.

To sum it up, i think the mixed style we see now (off-def) is here to stay.  36 out of the last 38 slams isn't too bad a record for this type of play (Murry, Fed, Nadal and Djoker).
The Logo Knows!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Fed has refused to change his game plan against Nadal.
That stubborness has cost him dearly.
A disruptive, chaotic, attacking game may or may not give him a better chance.
We certainly know what to expect if he continues to play into Nadal's hand by sticking with a strategy of baseline play....... :whistle:

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »
Fed's a fool at times and stubborn.

I can't tell you haw many times he hits the ball directly back at Nadal while at the net, he has the whole court open but no, he has to be a macho man.  :)>>>>

Village People - Macho Man OFFICIAL Music Video (short version) 1978

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »
That's odd, I've never, ever, ever,  thought of Fed as 'macho'.
Waaaaay too much of a metrosexual in my opinion.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »
That's odd, I've never, ever, ever,  thought of Fed as 'macho'.
Waaaaay too much of a metrosexual in my opinion.

I don't think of him as macho either, but agree with Swish's observation that Fed will frequently decide to go at or behind Nadal, and it's as if Nadal reads his mind (or more likely, Fed doesn't execute), and Nadal ends up making Fed look silly.  The word that usually comes to my mind is "petulant", which is very metrosexual in my opinion.

:))