Author Topic: 2014 DAVIS CUP (FIRST ROUND), 1/31-2/2, 2014  (Read 581 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2014 DAVIS CUP (FIRST ROUND), 1/31-2/2, 2014
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »
Some interesting first round match ups...  particularly:

Serbia vs Swiss (just announced that Roger will play with Stan!)

Here's the website:

http://www.daviscup.com/en/home.aspx

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: 2014 DAVIS CUP (FIRST ROUND), 1/31-2/2, 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
Switzerland Got More Power !
Federer will play in Davis Cup 1st Round!Come On Swiss Boys!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:46:12 AM by Dallas »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
Oxfam panache he tips his hat.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »
So who's playing #1 singles for the Swiss???   :gleam:
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »
Roger should check out the new Swiss #1 to see how to play real man's tennis.  :king:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
Well, when we get Roger and Stan together....then the Serbs dismantle!  They are playing some folks I've never heard of before.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »
Well, when we get Roger and Stan together....then the Serbs dismantle!  They are playing some folks I've never heard of before.
Most of them are under suspension for illegal substance abuse !!
The world awaits no genius

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »
GB last won a top group Davis Cup match in 1986 fingers crossed we beat the USA  :whistle:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
Classy from Andy that,his game is looking good 2 beating Donald Young.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »
I saw Fed - Bozoljac and Stan - Lajovic live today  :))

It was great atmosphere and I enjoyed it. Watching Fed and Stan live was a phenomenal experience.

I gotta admit I enjoyed Stan's match much more than Fed's. Seems like Roger played just enough to secure the win but watching him live was more than enough especially for my dad who's a longtime tennis fan and a Fed fan also.

Stan - Lajovic was a joy to watch. Those freaking backhands!  :ice cream:   I could watch it all day long. Gotta give huge credit to our 'youngster' Lajovic for his gamestyle. Such a rarity to see! He was brave enough and trying to WIN crucial points and not waiting for opponent's mistake.
He is really the only fellow countrymen that plays tennis I like. Shame on that last smash, but the kid put a wonderful performance. I'm hoping for great things from him as I now finally have someone from my country to root for.
And Wawrinka, well there's really nothing more to say that I haven't said already million times. A true gem in tennis.

Gonna go on Sunday as well. Lajovic vs Fed should be a cracker!  :cool:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
Tommy and Kohli finally played together for Germany  :)) :))

And they beat Spain in tight 4 sets. Great doubles match!

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »

This is begging to be 'shopped.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
....................Gonna go on Sunday as well. Lajovic vs Fed should be a cracker!  :cool:
Lugburz  I understand you - I've seen Federer play many times, but it's always a privilege. Glad your father got to see him.

And I hear you re: Wawrinka too.  I could watch that back hand all day.  Haas's too.

Lammer/Chiudinelli won the doubles too & Switzerland are through.  If they couldn't do it now - with no Djokovic or Tipsarevic, they would never do it, so good job!   :)

And well done to Germany for getting 3-0 on the board too. I'll try to watch Haas / Kohlshrieber if I can as they will no doubt have put up some excellent tennis. Talking of beautiful back hand's, Kohlshrieber's is featured on the DC website home page. Sensational shot!

Gasquet /Tsonga were the clear favourites & have taken France through 3-0. Pity the Aussies couldn't do much about it.

Sid -   Good job by Murray, but frankly, I wouldn't expect Young to get past him. What impressed me was Ward's performance. What a fight!  Very well done to him to get through.  I just watched the tail end of the doubles & no surprises that the Bryan's won.

With Querry having played a 5 setter against Ward it will be an  especially tall order for him to get past Murray & I'm hoping that it will be 3-1 to Team GB to clinch it.     
Carpe Diem

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
Well seems like most likely I won't be going tomorrow since Swiss got the job done already which means only exhibition matches tomorrow and most likely no Fed and Stan.

But anyway day 1 was awesome so it was a nice experience.  :cool:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »
Well seems like most likely I won't be going tomorrow since Swiss got the job done already which means only exhibition matches tomorrow and most likely no Fed and Stan.

Yeh I thought of you when I realised the Swiss doubles team was winning.. you and another Serb guy whose nick I'd have to see in front of me to be able to spell it. Really sorry you didn't get the extra match  :(

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »

Yeh I thought of you when I realised the Swiss doubles team was winning.. you and another Serb guy whose nick I'd have to see in front of me to be able to spell it. Really sorry you didn't get the extra match  :(

Yeah cheers  ;-()

Well if it was in Belgrade I'd definitely go regardless of who's playing. And I wouldn't mind watching Lajovic even if he doesn't play Fed. The kid is amazing live.
But since it's in Novi Sad and it really doesn't make sense for me to trouble and go there to watch some uncompetitive and exhibition matches.
Having no Fed and Stan(most likely) just made me decide it more not to go.. Plus the weather has been horrid for all the travelers across the country for past few days. A Lot of people got stuck in their vehicles.

But its all good really because I got to see Stan and Fed on a day 1 and it was well worth it  ;-() An extra match would have been cool, but I'm completely satisfied with this much already.
Next stop: probably Halle if not even earlier to watch my all time fave #1  :wicked:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:47 AM »

It was great atmosphere and I enjoyed it. Watching Fed and Stan live was a phenomenal experience.

I gotta admit I enjoyed Stan's match much more than Fed's. Seems like Roger played just enough to secure the win but watching him live was more than enough especially for my dad who's a longtime tennis fan and a Fed fan also.

Stan - Lajovic was a joy to watch. Those freaking backhands!  :ice cream:   I could watch it all day long. Gotta give huge credit to our 'youngster' Lajovic for his gamestyle. Such a rarity to see! He was brave enough and trying to WIN crucial points and not waiting for opponent's mistake.
He is really the only fellow countrymen that plays tennis I like. Shame on that last smash, but the kid put a wonderful performance. I'm hoping for great things from him as I now finally have someone from my country to root for.
And Wawrinka, well there's really nothing more to say that I haven't said already million times. A true gem in tennis.

Gonna go on Sunday as well. Lajovic vs Fed should be a cracker!  :cool:
Good stuff Lugman!
Must have been a treat to see The Stanimal fresh off the AO final.
He must be rockin'!
Any pics to share Mate?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Good stuff Lugman!
Must have been a treat to see The Stanimal fresh off the AO final.
He must be rockin'!
Any pics to share Mate?

Uhmm all I had was cellphone which has only 3megapixels.  ..-)
Trust me they are not worth uploading lol

I was pretty close to the play but on some pictures it looks as if I was 10miles away haha

Same with my pics from last year semi final vs Canada....

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »
Congrats to all the winners in the first round -- Especially to the Swiss team!!!!!  On the USA...boy, the USA is in trouble with Men's tennis.  There is no one coming up either, is there? Seems like all the younger players for the US are women.