Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

ATP TOURNAMENTS 8-16 February 2014

<< < (4/4)

Gawdblessya:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on February 13, 2014, 09:11:49 AM ---Washington grinds to a frozen halt under 15 inches of snow.  :blue:

So, it is good to watch Del Potro win over Mathieu on TV this morning in two sets and in fine form.
Next up for him is Gulbis whom I have not seen play in quite a while.

Personal tennis, these days, is indoor courts only, if you can get to them.  :(

--- End quote ---

Sorry the conditions are so difficult, Euroka, and I hope they'll improve very soon. We've got very wet and windy weather here, and some are suffering from the floods in certain parts of the country. 

Lugburz - sorry to note that Haas is out, but after his gruelling episode with Verdasco, and Janowicz on form, the result is no surprise.  Enjoy your skiing.

I couldn't watch any tennis yesterday, other than Sijsling / Berrer, which was a tad one-sided in IS's favour. 

There are some potentially excellent matches today. 

I'm watching Janowicz / Berdych.  JJ was serving for the match & got broken. Careless and losing focus.  And TB holds well, leading 6-5. 

It wouldn't surprise me if TB breaks again to take the set. Let's see.  Williamchung - what is JJ doing out there????

EDIT :  JJ holds & it's a tiebreak.  TB up 3-1 & serving. JJ needs to relax & get some momentum. 

TB makes an error - into the net &  JJ gets the break back.  JJ serving.

What a cross court forehand from TB! Superb.  He now serves at set point.

And a beautiful, clean winner from JJ to go 6-6.  And JJ has found that momentum again - beautiful play. Now serving for the set at 7-6.  Blast! He double faults & its 7-7 again. 

Well, that was typical from JJ. Nets his shot. TB serving at 8-7.

Wow! What a forehand down the line from JJ to go 8-8.   TB misses the line - 9-8 to JJ & serving for the set.    And TB gets the point - 9-9.  TB hits the net for the ball to go out. Lucky point for JJ.

Excellent return by JJ  & TB can't get it back.  JJ wins the set.

This was a very strange tiebreak. Either man could easily have won it, and TB had 5 chances to do it.   I'm glad JJ won it in the end.

JJ serving first in the second set. A ball falls out of his pocket to stop play & TB making a fuss about it.
JJ holds to love.

euroka1:

--- Quote from: Gawdblessya on February 14, 2014, 06:53:02 AM ---This was a very strange tiebreak. Either man could easily have won it, and TB had 5 chances to do it.   I'm glad JJ won it in the end.

JJ serving first in the second set. A ball falls out of his pocket to stop play & TB making a fuss about it.
JJ holds to love.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it was, and it's all very entertaining.  :)

I'm looking forward to Del Potro - Gulbis and hope it comes on before I have to go out.

Gawdblessya:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on February 14, 2014, 07:30:29 AM ---......Yes, it was, and it's all very entertaining.  :)

I'm looking forward to Del Potro - Gulbis and hope it comes on before I have to go out.

--- End quote ---

Well, JJ lost a winnable match.  All credit to Berdych for remaining focused. As the commentators said, he had little to do but sleep walk to win the second set.  The 3rd set was better by JJ, but still too many UF errors.  Berdych plays Gulbis next, I think. 

I managed to watch some og the Del Potro / Gulbis match. What a pity that DP is injured. Commiserations to him.
But congratulations to Gulbis who is playing very well. What a game he has, consistency aside. Did you watch it Euroka?

I've set aside time to watch tennis today, so will hopefully see at least some of the remaining matches.  :)

euroka1:

--- Quote from: Gawdblessya on February 14, 2014, 10:56:46 AM ---
--- Quote from: euroka1 on February 14, 2014, 07:30:29 AM ---......Yes, it was, and it's all very entertaining.  :)

--- End quote ---

Well, JJ lost a winnable match.  All credit to Berdych for remaining focused. As the commentators said, he had little to do but sleep walk to win the second set.  The 3rd set was better by JJ, but still too many UF errors.  Berdych plays Gulbis next, I think. 

I managed to watch some og the Del Potro / Gulbis match. What a pity that DP is injured. Commiserations to him.
But congratulations to Gulbis who is playing very well. What a game he has, consistency aside. Did you watch it Euroka?

I've set aside time to watch tennis today, so will hopefully see at least some of the remaining matches.  :)

--- End quote ---

I had to go out after the first few games so missed it. But from what I saw, Gulbis was playing very well indeed. It would be great if he has a good season ahead. He is never dull!

Gawdblessya:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on February 14, 2014, 02:08:29 PM ---................I had to go out after the first few games so missed it. But from what I saw, Gulbis was playing very well indeed. It would be great if he has a good season ahead. He is never dull!

--- End quote ---

Lool!  Gulbis is a character, and as you say Euroka, , never dull. That eccentricity could well be the tip of the iceberg of genius, but I hope he can translate this potential into results soon. I like his game a lot.
I hope you'll be able to see some of the semi's today.

As for these tournaments, some potentially interesting matches coming up, as one would expect at this stage of the 3 tournaments.
In Rotterdam, I watched some good quarter-finals yesterday. Murray isnít playing his game yet, and obviously trying to get back some momentum. Despite this, he put Cilic under pressure many times. It was a good idea to take the wc & see how he goes, getting some much needed match play.   Cilic played an excellent match, remaining focused and  playing his beautiful, attacking game to its best.  Well done to him for continuing his run of success in recent weeks.
Sijsling is very much the man of the tournament for me.  A wc entry and nothing more than a mere contestant with no perceived chance of doing much, he is into the semiís.  A great effort, playing some excellent tennis  and going for his chances. Kohlshrieber looked positively subdued in the first set, and was outplayed again in the 3rd.   
In the semiís,  Gulbis plays Berdych  &  Cilic will face Sijsling.    Gulbis will need his wits about him if he wants to get past Berdych.  Cilic has looked confident, but will be facing a the home crowd as well as Sijsling, who is clearly enjoying his run here.   

Schedule of play :
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Schedule.aspx?EventId=407

In Buenes Aires, it will be Ferrer-v- Almagro &  Robredo Ėv- Fognini.  Could Almagro resist the temptation to revert to type & overcome Ferrer?  Ferrer has looked a little off colour, so to speak, more recently and will no doubt be seeking a title here.  Fognini ? Robredo ought to pack some action & I'll try to watch this one if I can. These two have history & it could get boisterous. Fognini continues his excellent run & is playing well thus far this year, and I he can continue doing so. 

Schedule of play:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Schedule.aspx?EventId=506

In Memphis, I watched a bit of the Hewitt/Russell match.  I knew little about Russell, but will know him next time after the excellent match he played.   Like Sijsling in Rotterdam, he is the outside chance turned  home hope in the semiís.  Heíll  play Nishikori next, who looks in good form.  I thought Lopez would beat Karlovic prior to their quarter-final match, but no. The latter will play Lu in the semiís.     

Schedule of play:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Schedule.aspx?EventId=402

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version