Author Topic: ATP TOURNAMENTS 8-16 February 2014  (Read 635 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
ATP TOURNAMENTS 8-16 February 2014
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »
ATP TOURNAMENTS 8-16 February 2014

I've added 3 current tournaments in one thread as it seems easier to update one thread as required. No doubt those prefering single threads will make the necessary arrangements.

ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament Ė Rotterdam   8 Ė 16 February 2014 
ATP 250

This is underway, and has a good field including:
Murray, Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga, Monfils, Haas, Gasquet, Youzhny, Dimitrov, Gulbis, Janowicz, Cilic, Kohlshreiber.

Schedule for 10th February:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Schedule.aspx?EventId=407

Singles draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?EventId=407&Year=2014

Doubles draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2014&EventId=407&Draw=md

Copa Claro Ė Buenes Aires  10-16 February 2014
ATP 250

The field here includes :
Ferrer, Almagro, Robredo, Fognini, Granollers, Haase, Monaco, Chardy.

Schedule for 10th February 2014:

Singles Draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2014&EventId=506&Draw=ms

Doubles Draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2014&EventId=506&Draw=md

US National Indoor Championship -  Memphis  8-16  February 2014
ATP 250

The field here includes Nishikori, Lopez, Hewitt, Lu, Matosevic, Querry, Przysiezny, Kukushkin, Harrison.

Schedule for 10th February :
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Schedule.aspx?EventId=402

Singles draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2014&EventId=402&Draw=ms

Doubles Draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2014&EventId=402&Draw=md
Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: ATP TOURNAMENTS 8-16 February 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
Thanks for posting blessya.

The Rotterdam tourney looks great, some big name players too, this is a 500 tournament it seems.

Here's the list of players and where they're playing with this trusty site: http://live-tennis.eu/

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »
The Rotterdam tourney looks great, some big name players too, this is a 500 tournament it seems...

Hi, Swish. Thanks for the correction - Rotterdam is indeed an ATP 500 event.
No wonder more big names are going to bother to get out of bed for this one!   :)

I hope Del Potro can play well. 
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
I've finally got time to watch some tennis & Kohlshreiber / Stakhovsky is on.  PK up a set & the 2nd set going with serve.   SS did well to hold under pressure & is attacking Pk's serve now. Some good play from him.  But PK wins the game. 

Beautiful drop shot from SS. And he holds to go up 5-4. Can PK focus & hold?  Yes, he can.  5-5.

I sense a tb looming.  But hang on - Wow! What a superb forehand past SS from PK! Outstanding play by him for a couple more killers! 2 break points.  And he breaks in stunning form.

PK up 6-5 & serving for the match.  And he holds to win the match 62,75.  That was an entertaining 2nd set.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:34:21 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »
I just started watching  Dimitrov / Tursonov.  They took a set each & it is 3-3 in the 3rd.
GD has a beautiful game. Playing some gorgeous shots, low over the net.
He leads 5-4  on serve. Neither man has broken the other this set & both are playing well. Tursonov is receiving treatment for his back. 

Wow! What a rally at match point!  DT defending well & saving several ( three I think ) match points. But GD broke in the end to win 62,16,64.

GD plays Gulbis next - definately one for me to watch if I can.

Other results today include Cilic beating Rosol, Sijsling ousting Youzhny, Gulbis through against Istomin.

Janowicz is about to play Benneteau. This might be fun.

Benneteau just took the 1st set by breaking Janowicz's serve,  63.     The veteran giving the youngr man something to think about!  :) 

And JB promptly losing the opening game of the 2nd set.  JJ using the drop shot well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:45:38 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »
7-6 Verdasco 1st set.

Tommy's looking very sharp so far even with dropping a 3-0 lead.
---

Tommy breaks already in the opening game of the 2nd set maintaining good level of play.
--
Verdasco breaks back, some good tennis here, but also some some silly errors.
Hah another break for Tommy, practically being given that one just as he gifted previous one.
--
Finally easy holds by both, *3-2 Tommy
--
Again easy holds by both, *4-3 Tommy.
Highlights were Tommy's between the legs volley try and Verdasco's 177kmh fh winner dtl!
--
*5-4, Tommy's serving fir the 2nd set.
Tommy broken again and will serve to stay in the match *5-6.

Tommy takes 2nd set 7-6(1) Should have been way sooner, but I'll take this as well.
---

Verdasco took an early break and leads *2-1
Tommy breaks back with some gutsy play there *2-2
3-2* Haas, great game so far and Tommy upped his game a bit.
Also somebody tell Verdasco this ain't clay, so sliding like this will get him hurt lol
--
4-3* Tommy leads, being closer to breaking Verdasco and seems to be having a momentum.
--
5-4* Relatively easy holds by both..
---
Tommy secures TB and leads 6-5*

Tommy wins 6-7(4) 7-6(1) 7-5
Good match with some help from Verdasco at the end but Tommy was pretty solid and forced Verdasco to miss a lot even with less winners.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:53:40 AM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
Janowicz played very well to win last night.  When he gets his momentum , his timing & execution is superb, and the potential he has, is clear.

As for today, Hi. Lugburz. I'm watching the Haas match too, but only with half an eye as I'm working.

What a meal they've made of it. Unforced errors by the gallon. But some excellent tennis too. FV missing on his forehand a lot.

It's 6-5 to TH with FV serving.  This looks like another tb, unless Th can work his game.  He has match point! 

Yes! TH takes it 7-5 in the 3rd set.  Well done to him for prevailing in this tough match. Both he & FV were inconsistent, and I don't think TH played too well today. Certainly, not his best. So hopefully he'll settle down for the next match. He'll need to as he's playing Janowicz. 

There are some potentially excellent matches looming, and I'm looking forward to watching as much as I can.

Here is today's schedule for the 12th February:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:55:42 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:55 AM »
In Memphis,  Querry, seeded 6,  is out to Bogomolov Jnr.  I havenít watched any matches here, but note that Baghdatis plays Hewitt next, a match that could be interesting & Iíll try to watch it.
Nishikori, the defending champion,  has yet to play & F.Lopez, seeded 2 plays Karlovic next.

Hereís the schedule for the 12 February:

In Buenos Aires, Fognini, Ferrer, Robredo, Almagro are among those through to the next round.  I wonder if Fognini can retain his momentum here, and take this title. Heís playing his opponent in the final of his previous tournament, L. Mayer next.   Dolgopolov, for whom I have a soft spot, is playing here & I wish him well. 

The schedule for the 12th February:
 http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Schedule.aspx?EventId=506
Carpe Diem

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:30:28 AM »
I'm enjoying Gulbis - Dimitrov one. Always like watching Ernests, such variety! But I like Grigor as well. So that's a bonus for me heh

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:54:04 AM »
Gulbis won over Dimitrov 64 76 showing some amazing tennis. Happy for him, let's hope can maintain it. Possible encounter vs Delpo would be good one.

By the way, no coverage on court 1 in Rotterdam is ridiculous. Meaning no Haas - Janowicz and Kohli - Gasquet, I'm mad  :mad1:

TOMMY HAAS

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 07:15:39 AM »
Jerzy played strong and wins strong today.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 07:26:19 AM »
Jerzy played strong and wins strong today.

If only we could have watched that  :\ :\

lousy scoreboard. At least I won't miss Tommy's matches while I'm on skiing trip  ..-)

TOMMY HAAS

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »
Washington grinds to a frozen halt under 15 inches of snow.  :blue:

So, it is good to watch Del Potro win over Mathieu on TV this morning in two sets and in fine form.
Next up for him is Gulbis whom I have not seen play in quite a while.

Personal tennis, these days, is indoor courts only, if you can get to them.  :(

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »
Baseline Rally Jerzy>Berdych at the moment.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »
Jerzy breaks Berdych.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 06:53:02 AM »
Washington grinds to a frozen halt under 15 inches of snow.  :blue:

So, it is good to watch Del Potro win over Mathieu on TV this morning in two sets and in fine form.
Next up for him is Gulbis whom I have not seen play in quite a while.

Personal tennis, these days, is indoor courts only, if you can get to them.  :(

Sorry the conditions are so difficult, Euroka, and I hope they'll improve very soon. We've got very wet and windy weather here, and some are suffering from the floods in certain parts of the country. 

Lugburz - sorry to note that Haas is out, but after his gruelling episode with Verdasco, and Janowicz on form, the result is no surprise.  Enjoy your skiing.

I couldn't watch any tennis yesterday, other than Sijsling / Berrer, which was a tad one-sided in IS's favour. 

There are some potentially excellent matches today. 

I'm watching Janowicz / Berdych.  JJ was serving for the match & got broken. Careless and losing focus.  And TB holds well, leading 6-5. 

It wouldn't surprise me if TB breaks again to take the set. Let's see.  Williamchung - what is JJ doing out there????

EDIT :  JJ holds & it's a tiebreak.  TB up 3-1 & serving. JJ needs to relax & get some momentum. 

TB makes an error - into the net &  JJ gets the break back.  JJ serving.

What a cross court forehand from TB! Superb.  He now serves at set point.

And a beautiful, clean winner from JJ to go 6-6.  And JJ has found that momentum again - beautiful play. Now serving for the set at 7-6.  Blast! He double faults & its 7-7 again. 

Well, that was typical from JJ. Nets his shot. TB serving at 8-7.

Wow! What a forehand down the line from JJ to go 8-8.   TB misses the line - 9-8 to JJ & serving for the set.    And TB gets the point - 9-9.  TB hits the net for the ball to go out. Lucky point for JJ.

Excellent return by JJ  & TB can't get it back.  JJ wins the set.

This was a very strange tiebreak. Either man could easily have won it, and TB had 5 chances to do it.   I'm glad JJ won it in the end.

JJ serving first in the second set. A ball falls out of his pocket to stop play & TB making a fuss about it.
JJ holds to love.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:20:18 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 07:30:29 AM »
This was a very strange tiebreak. Either man could easily have won it, and TB had 5 chances to do it.   I'm glad JJ won it in the end.

JJ serving first in the second set. A ball falls out of his pocket to stop play & TB making a fuss about it.
JJ holds to love.

Yes, it was, and it's all very entertaining.  :)

I'm looking forward to Del Potro - Gulbis and hope it comes on before I have to go out.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
......Yes, it was, and it's all very entertaining.  :)

I'm looking forward to Del Potro - Gulbis and hope it comes on before I have to go out.

Well, JJ lost a winnable match.  All credit to Berdych for remaining focused. As the commentators said, he had little to do but sleep walk to win the second set.  The 3rd set was better by JJ, but still too many UF errors.  Berdych plays Gulbis next, I think. 

I managed to watch some og the Del Potro / Gulbis match. What a pity that DP is injured. Commiserations to him.
But congratulations to Gulbis who is playing very well. What a game he has, consistency aside. Did you watch it Euroka?

I've set aside time to watch tennis today, so will hopefully see at least some of the remaining matches.  :)
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
......Yes, it was, and it's all very entertaining.  :)

Well, JJ lost a winnable match.  All credit to Berdych for remaining focused. As the commentators said, he had little to do but sleep walk to win the second set.  The 3rd set was better by JJ, but still too many UF errors.  Berdych plays Gulbis next, I think. 

I managed to watch some og the Del Potro / Gulbis match. What a pity that DP is injured. Commiserations to him.
But congratulations to Gulbis who is playing very well. What a game he has, consistency aside. Did you watch it Euroka?

I've set aside time to watch tennis today, so will hopefully see at least some of the remaining matches.  :)

I had to go out after the first few games so missed it. But from what I saw, Gulbis was playing very well indeed. It would be great if he has a good season ahead. He is never dull!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
................I had to go out after the first few games so missed it. But from what I saw, Gulbis was playing very well indeed. It would be great if he has a good season ahead. He is never dull!

Lool!  Gulbis is a character, and as you say Euroka, , never dull. That eccentricity could well be the tip of the iceberg of genius, but I hope he can translate this potential into results soon. I like his game a lot.
I hope you'll be able to see some of the semi's today.

As for these tournaments, some potentially interesting matches coming up, as one would expect at this stage of the 3 tournaments.
In Rotterdam, I watched some good quarter-finals yesterday. Murray isnít playing his game yet, and obviously trying to get back some momentum. Despite this, he put Cilic under pressure many times. It was a good idea to take the wc & see how he goes, getting some much needed match play.   Cilic played an excellent match, remaining focused and  playing his beautiful, attacking game to its best.  Well done to him for continuing his run of success in recent weeks.
Sijsling is very much the man of the tournament for me.  A wc entry and nothing more than a mere contestant with no perceived chance of doing much, he is into the semiís.  A great effort, playing some excellent tennis  and going for his chances. Kohlshrieber looked positively subdued in the first set, and was outplayed again in the 3rd.   
In the semiís,  Gulbis plays Berdych  &  Cilic will face Sijsling.    Gulbis will need his wits about him if he wants to get past Berdych.  Cilic has looked confident, but will be facing a the home crowd as well as Sijsling, who is clearly enjoying his run here.   

Schedule of play :

In Buenes Aires, it will be Ferrer-v- Almagro &  Robredo Ėv- Fognini.  Could Almagro resist the temptation to revert to type & overcome Ferrer?  Ferrer has looked a little off colour, so to speak, more recently and will no doubt be seeking a title here.  Fognini ? Robredo ought to pack some action & I'll try to watch this one if I can. These two have history & it could get boisterous. Fognini continues his excellent run & is playing well thus far this year, and I he can continue doing so. 

Schedule of play:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Schedule.aspx?EventId=506

In Memphis, I watched a bit of the Hewitt/Russell match.  I knew little about Russell, but will know him next time after the excellent match he played.   Like Sijsling in Rotterdam, he is the outside chance turned  home hope in the semiís.  Heíll  play Nishikori next, who looks in good form.  I thought Lopez would beat Karlovic prior to their quarter-final match, but no. The latter will play Lu in the semiís.     

Schedule of play:

Carpe Diem