Author Topic: Wimbledon 2014  (Read 3038 times)

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
Re: Wimbledon 2014
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
I want hugs and kisses  :). Well done Nole. I almost got a heart attack ... It's just too much ...

congratulations Alex  :))

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »
I want hugs and kisses  :). Well done Nole. I almost got a heart attack ... It's just too much ...

congratulations Alex  :))
Thanks Mimi. Unfortunately I won nothing  ;-()

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2014, 05:56:43 AM »
Yesterday's final was a heartbreak..so close, yet so far.. :weep:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »
I feel for Fed fans but Fed gave it all. We witnessed a fantastic match with 2 great champions. We got treated like never before. We watched aggressive tennis with so much variety from both players. Again Fed was fantastic, Nole was just a little bit better. I thought Nole was going to choke after he couldn't close the 4th set but this time he didn't. Nole said 'the thing is I had to fight Federer but above all I had to fight myself and was very hard'.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
I feel for Fed fans but Fed gave it all. We witnessed a fantastic match with 2 great champions. We got treated like never before. We watched aggressive tennis with so much variety from both players. Again Fed was fantastic, Nole was just a little bit better. I thought Nole was going to choke after he couldn't close the 4th set but this time he didn't. Nole said 'the thing is I had to fight Federer but above all I had to fight myself and was very hard'.

I'm upbeat about how Roger played yesterday.  If he can keep up this level, he'll still be in the 'mix', even though he'll be 33 and the father of 4! :))  Novak played really good.

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
I do really hope fed overcomes this tough loss with a title win at USO !! ://

Congrats to Nole & his fans !!

I dunno about you guys, but i think this match was better than the AO 2012 finals..almost as good as the Wimby 2008 finals.

Q : Do you think Nole has benefited much with Boris becker in his camp ( since Dec 2013 ) ??? or was he better off without him ???
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
Dallas, Ash, I wouldn't have a problem with Fed winning the USO at all. I'd love to see it happening and it is possible. People say 'oh he is so old, blah, blah' but his game is still there. His brilliance is still there. He loves tennis and he can school youngsters. It was funny how Raonic was so helpless against him.

Offline Michael

• Tennis Player
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
I think provided Federer can keep that standard of play going forward there is cause for some optimism and room for improvement. I feel like he's still getting used to playing with the new racquet. He's had to sacrifice some feel in exchange for a bigger hitting zone and easier zip. Means fewer shanks and has been good for his backhand, but still getting to grips with adapting his forehand to stop it zooming away on him. He's been looping with more topspin to keep it in (which in the final was bouncing up into Novak's hitting zone allowing him to flatten out some big attacking forehands) with rally shots and hasn't been able to be as consistently aggressive and penetrating every time he has a chance to hit a forehand.

The heavier topspin has helped his out-wide/running forehand down the line quite a bit though. That's a big bonus if he can improve the running cross court forehand too. Hopefully he'll gradually relearn control so he can flatten and open opportunities with the forehand more consistently.

His backhand will always be a relative liability, but I feel like it has made a nice improvement. It was still responsible for leaking more errors or weak replies in the final, but seemed to hold up better to extensive probing. He's looked a bit more willing to flatten it out; and he's taking it on earlier when he has time and that should help it against topspin too. Think he could have taken the backhand down the line a bit more in the final on some opportunities (to at the least adjust the shape of the point); but I guess it is a risky shot in a very close, tense final if it's not in your comfort zone.

While I appreciate his improved attitude to approaching the net; he could still get much better at using it by reading opponents, coming in with some planned and better-timed approachs and having some ability to anticipate them. Great net play is about making the opponent feel rushed and cornered (and having lots of court to hit into); and the mind games of trapping, anticipating and feigning them to cut them off is an important part of that. A few times Federer got picked off at the net or coming forward, not looking like he knew what exactly he was doing. I'd say his net coverage and volleying ability is maybe a bit weaker on his forehand side and he often gets passed there, so he should be a bit quicker and more prepared to read those. This is an area where I feel he could still improve significantly. (with help from Edberg)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:16:52 PM by Michael »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
I think provided Federer can keep that standard of play going forward there is cause for some optimism and room for improvement. I feel like he's still getting used to playing with the new racquet. He's had to sacrifice some feel in exchange for a bigger hitting zone and easier zip. Means fewer shanks and has been good for his backhand, but still getting to grips with adapting his forehand to stop it zooming away on him. He's been looping with more topspin to keep it in (which in the final was bouncing up into Novak's hitting zone allowing him to flatten out some big attacking forehands) with rally shots and hasn't been able to be as consistently aggressive and penetrating every time he has a chance to hit a forehand.

The heavier topspin has helped his out-wide/running forehand down the line quite a bit though. That's a big bonus if he can improve the running cross court forehand too. Hopefully he'll gradually relearn control so he can flatten and open opportunities with the forehand more consistently.

His backhand will always be a relative liability, but I feel like it has made a nice improvement. It was still responsible for leaking more errors or weak replies in the final, but seemed to hold up better to extensive probing. He's looked a bit more willing to flatten it out; and he's taking it on earlier when he has time and that should help it against topspin too. Think he could have taken the backhand down the line a bit more in the final on some opportunities (to at the least adjust the shape of the point); but I guess it is a risky shot in a very close, tense final if it's not in your comfort zone.

While I appreciate his improved attitude to approaching the net; he could still get much better at using it by reading opponents, coming in with some planned and better-timed approachs and having some ability to anticipate them. Great net play is about making the opponent feel rushed and cornered (and having lots of court to hit into); and the mind games of trapping, anticipating and feigning them to cut them off is an important part of that. A few times Federer got picked off at the net or coming forward, not looking like he knew what exactly he was doing. I'd say his net coverage and volleying ability is maybe a bit weaker on his forehand side and he often gets passed there, so he should be a bit quicker and more prepared to read those. This is an area where I feel he could still improve significantly. (with help from Edberg)
The FH is a shadow of the weapon it used to be and his confidence in it along with it.

At times, he looked as awkward as Andy (not Murray) moving into the forecourt.  Many approaches were ill-timed and poorly placed.  Once there, he appeared to be lost at times.  Like most of his generation, he's spent so much time behind the baseline that the other 95% of the court is like stepping on another planet to him.  Recognition of opportunities, movement and shot selection take years to learn (probably why youngsters seeking instant gratification stick to learning simple groundies and the baseline game).  Edberg may be able to help him improve, but I doubt he has time to learn the nuances well enough to become a solid forecourt player.  It's a whole different mindset.  Too bad, I think he could have excelled at it if he'd undertaken the journey sooner.  He'd probably have 25+ slams by now playing S&V attacking tennis........
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:55:26 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
Here is Mertov's nomination of another promising Australian.  :scared:

"Samuel Groth may have lost to Dolgopolov in a tight 7/5 7/6 7/6 match today, but I will gladly hire him as my bodyguard if tennis does not pan out! He has one of the biggest serves in the ATP Tour and has a bright future as a big hitter."

According to Wikipedia:

"He is best known for hitting the fastest serve on record at 163.4 mph (263 km/h) in 2012 at the ATP Challenger in Busan. Association of Tennis Professionals does not formally recognise this serve speed record: Ivo Karlovic still holds the official record for the fastest serve of 251 km/h (156 mph)."  :hammer:

He  took out Donald Young at Newport yesterday.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »
Dallas, Ash, I wouldn't have a problem with Fed winning the USO at all. I'd love to see it happening and it is possible. People say 'oh he is so old, blah, blah' but his game is still there. His brilliance is still there. He loves tennis and he can school youngsters. It was funny how Raonic was so helpless against him.

I'll hold you to that Alex! :))

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
Very dramatic final, the big 4 continue to set a very high standard for whoever comes next.  I largely agree with MT's thought that Fed's FH is a shadow of its former self.  Not sure what the winner/UE counts were, but it didn't look good to me.  The 3 FH UEs in the 3rd set tiebreak were the dominating feature of the tiebreak.  And overall, the relatively conservative placement of FH shots weren't enough to get Djokovic out of his comfort zone.  On the other hand, Fed's serve was fantastic, especially early in the match.  That was worrisome itself though - having a dominant serve, having Nole's serve off, and still not being able to get anywhere near a break.  I also thought Fed played too passively after Nole's 1st injury timeout - in fact, I think that's when he lost serve in the 2nd set.  Also looked like Nole was a little gimpy when he took the injury TO in the 5th set but Fed wasn't able to capitalize there either.  I thought Fed did play really well after he got broken for the first time in the 4th set.  His first break of Nole was impressive - several of his best returns of the match, and he finished with a (finally) strong aggressive FH winner.  For his part, Nole looked a little frazzled in the latter part of the 4th set.  But once he shook off the last injury TO in the 5th set, his game really tightened up and he played very strong to the finish.

I also thought the Nole-Dimitrov SF was really exciting.  Thought it was interesting that JMac "early picked" Dimitrov for next year's final.  No surprise, I really like Dimitrov's game and am excited to see what he can do. 
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
:)) that you're not aware exactly what I'm referring to. Please tune into the final, or look on youtube, you need to hear it.

I've always found WTA watchable, so I don't mind 'grunting', which I've gotten used to. With Kvitova, it's her "Come on!"-s. It's a literal, fully-committed with 100% of her body's energy, top-of-the-lungs primeval violent shriek.

This is her photographed during it:

Try to attach a sound to the image; of a high-pitched, vocal cord abusing shriek that turns up every hair on your skin and sends your blood cold. She does it every time she wins an important point, and the tighter the match, the more intense and violent they become.

It really makes me route strongly against her for no other reason than that, and they ought to have reprimanded her for it a long time ago.

Unfortunately (?) I didn't turn on the final quickly enough, and missed a chance to hear the shrieking.  I was able to catch one on youtube, from a few years ago.  Sounded obnoxious.  And personally, I'm too easily annoyed by post-point talk in general.  But somehow, the in-point screaming seems worse, as it affects player concentration etc.  Then, at the other end of the spectrum is JamesDSter's concern about fans clapping when a challenge is made.  For whatever reason, that just doesn't bother me at all.   :confused1:
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline lizbeth

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »
What a Wimbledon! As a Roger fan, I was crushed that he wasn't able to pull through, but he
was amazing in his effort.  Kudos to Novak for fighting back after losing the 4th set.

Kvitova was outstading, but her outrageous shriek when she wins a big point is just one more
way the players are discovering to turn off spectators. You can't tell if there is an out call from the linesperson because of the deafening sounds the players are making. WHEN will the quiet
players start complaining?  The umpires say that's all it would take for them to issue warnings
to the ones making the noise.   I truly hope this will change SOON.

Is there any news on Serena?  Where she is, what her plans are, whether she is splitting
with her coach/lover, etc.?  I still can't get the image out of my mind of her whiffing those
balls in the doubles warm-up.  Another bizarre chapter in the Williams saga.  My hunch is that during
the rain delay in her match with Cornet, something happened between her and Patrick Mouratoglou
and she went off the rails in the 2nd and 3rd sets.  Went back to the apartment, didn't eat or drink
properly and got dehydrated.  I seriously doubt if there was a 'viral illness', but of course, I could
be wrong.  I hope she comes back strong for the USOpen.  It would be great to have her and
Azarenka back in good form to take on the Bouchards and Haleps.

Hard to get back to the real world after two weeks of being glued to The Big W.  Thank heaven
for TV and for the DVR system!  A fabulous fortnight for tennis fans.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
Very dramatic final, the big 4 continue to set a very high standard for whoever comes next.  I largely agree with MT's thought that Fed's FH is a shadow of its former self.  Not sure what the winner/UE counts were, but it didn't look good to me.  The 3 FH UEs in the 3rd set tiebreak were the dominating feature of the tiebreak.  And overall, the relatively conservative placement of FH shots weren't enough to get Djokovic out of his comfort zone.  On the other hand, Fed's serve was fantastic, especially early in the match.  That was worrisome itself though - having a dominant serve, having Nole's serve off, and still not being able to get anywhere near a break.  I also thought Fed played too passively after Nole's 1st injury timeout - in fact, I think that's when he lost serve in the 2nd set.  Also looked like Nole was a little gimpy when he took the injury TO in the 5th set but Fed wasn't able to capitalize there either.  I thought Fed did play really well after he got broken for the first time in the 4th set.  His first break of Nole was impressive - several of his best returns of the match, and he finished with a (finally) strong aggressive FH winner.  For his part, Nole looked a little frazzled in the latter part of the 4th set.  But once he shook off the last injury TO in the 5th set, his game really tightened up and he played very strong to the finish.

I also thought the Nole-Dimitrov SF was really exciting.  Thought it was interesting that JMac "early picked" Dimitrov for next year's final.  No surprise, I really like Dimitrov's game and am excited to see what he can do.
I think that's where the old confident FH would have come in handy.
Fed appeared unable to finish points on Nole's serve even when he had him on the ropes.
He better dial in that FH asap as the clock is ticking away on his career slam chances.

Kudos to him for the willingness to move into the forecourt though he still looks like a fish out of water at times.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »
Nick was absolutely fantastic. He hit 70 winners, 37 aces if I remember correctly  :shocking:. He is only 19 yo. Here is your new bright star. He is very confident and brave. Rafa was actually pretty solid, but Nick showed the whole world how to play to def. Nadal. You have to be ultra aggressive.

Alex, how do you think things will go tomorrow against Raonic?

When playing against another big server (I think) Cilic, Roddick once said "Why don't we save time and go straight to the tie-break?" I expect it will be a bit like that .  It is strange to think of Raonic as being the senior player in this encounter.

I honestly don't know what to think. It could go both ways. If Nick manages to serve as well as he did against Nadal he'll have a good chance. I just hope that Nick won't have a mental meltdown after his big win. It will be a battle of 2 big servers. I think that Nick, although younger, is a bit better mover and more versatile than Milos. What do you think?

Nick's mental toughness has been one of the most impressive parts of his game so far (compared to his compatriot Tomic, for example  ..-) ) so tiredness might be a greater problem. Compared to Rafa, I didn't think he moved all that well today although he did get to some impressive shots. But it will probably come down to just the serve and, honestly, I do not want to make predictions.  :dunno:

By the way, I wasn't the only one who didn't think Kyrgios would win today. Laver and other Australian tennis greats and even his mother also had their doubts.

I was sorry to read in the papers that Kyrgios has just taken delivery of a new Mercedes. Bad move. At best, a distraction; but it could lead to much worse.

I also see in the Australian papers a rumor that Tomic has been dumped by IMG.

edit: rumor confirmed.

http://www.si.com/tennis/2014/07/16/bernard-tomic-splits-with-img

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:16:58 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
Hi euroka,

I think Kyrgios has a good head on his shoulders and knows what is facing him.  I agree with the car move, but he never behaved in a cocky way even after defeating Rafa at Wimbledon.

Tomic just won a tournament, maybe the IMG decision woke him up?  He had only a small number of wins in the last 12 months (if I remember correctly) prior to IMG dropping him.

Offline morganli

• Tennis Player
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2014, 03:38:45 AM »
I won't be surprised at all if Djokovic wins Wimbledon.. and I won't be surprised if Murray is out somewhere in the beginning (p.s. it really annoys me that everyone blames Mauresmo for his shi**y performance)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »
I won't be surprised at all if Djokovic wins Wimbledon.. and I won't be surprised if Murray is out somewhere in the beginning (p.s. it really annoys me that everyone blames Mauresmo for his shi**y performance)

Is this a prediction for 2015?   :)