Author Topic: Racket thread  (Read 2998 times)

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« on: July 26, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
What kinda sticks does everyone here play with?  

I'm using a Wilson Hyper Prostaff 6.0 95 right now and either moving to a nCode 6-1 95 or Tour.  Took out a demo of the Tour for a whirl today and I and impressed.  Some ppl think that it's heavy and not maneuverable but I thought i wasn't so bad (i've used heavier rackets - HPS 6.1 with 6g of lead at 12 o'clock and my current racket with a similar configuration).  It's rock-solid and feel soooo smooth when I take a big cut at the ball.  The downside is that defensive shots (tough returns and wide balls) are not great.  Serves were average, more spin but less pace and consistancy compared to a midplus racket.  I'll try it tomorrow in a match and if all goes well, maybe i'll switch to that this fall.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 01:06:27 PM »
I'm using the now out of date discontinued Wilson Rok. It's a good racket. I would move
on to the N6-1 but I got 3 Roks. I also like Federer older red/yellow Wilson PS but 95 sq in.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 01:16:56 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
I also like Federer older red/yellow Wilson PS but 95 sq in.

That's my current racket.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 01:19:48 PM »
That's a nice racket. I would switch if I was using it. But isn't it also discontinued?

EDIT: I meant wouldn't, not would.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 01:44:14 PM »
I'm using the now out of date discontinued Wilson Rok. It's a good racket. I would move
on to the N6-1
but I got 3 Roks. I also like Federer older red/yellow Wilson PS but 95 sq in.

My partner has the NCode 6-1 (does it strike anyone else as retro?) and as soon as I have more money, I'm considering an NCode as well, but most likely a different one.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 01:56:20 PM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
My partner has the NCode 6-1 (does it strike anyone else as retro?) and as soon as I have more money, I'm considering an NCode as well, but most likely a different one.

There are 2 N6-1s, a Federer(85) and a midplus(95). The 85 is very tricky, especially for my style. I hit all my shots
off centered, 2 or 3 strings above the center and a smaller racket isn't very forgiving when you're not hitting the center.
The 95 is perfect for me, it's lighter and the sweet spot is a little larger. I'm going to wait for a year or so until my current
Roks die then I'll switch, by then the price should drop somewhat.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 02:01:36 PM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"

There are 2 N6-1s, a Federer(85) and a midplus(95). The 85 is very tricky, especially for my style. I hit all my shots
off centered, 2 or 3 strings above the center and a smaller racket isn't very forgiving when you're not hitting the center.
The 95 is perfect for me, it's lighter and the sweet spot is a little larger. I'm going to wait for a year or so until my current
Roks die then I'll switch, by then the price should drop somewhat.

He has the 95. I'm definitely a fan or the larger head size but not quite to the 110 extreme. 100 would be nice.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 02:13:34 PM »
The n6-1 Tour is 90 in2,  I find it to be plenty except, as i said, for returns and defensive shots.  Also, I have hit with the 95 version and liked it (I played a lot with its predecessor, the HPS 6.1), especially for serves.  But, I pretty much refuse to play with synthetic grips (leather and an overgrip is the way to go IMO) so I'd have to switch it out if I get the 95.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 06:26:57 PM »
I'm using the HEAD Liquidmetal Instinct and I'm on the ropes about it. Before my tourney, I didnt think I liked it but I've been playing better with it so I dunno. I really want to switch back to the HEAD i.radical OS. I think that's what I'll do.

Offline tennis_guy_andrew

• Tennis Addict
    • http://www.oktennis.net
Racket thread
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 06:39:27 PM »
Prince O3 Red and couldn't be happier. Big sweetspot and a light racket.
------------------------------------------
Please- Help me get a better college
education by making a donation:
http://andrewxps.hooveyy.com/pay.html
Thanks! :)

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 07:00:21 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
I'm using the HEAD Liquidmetal Instinct and I'm on the ropes about it. Before my tourney, I didnt think I liked it but I've been playing better with it so I dunno. I really want to switch back to the HEAD i.radical OS. I think that's what I'll do.

Tennis Warehouse has the OS for $90, I'd grab them quick.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline jimbo

• Tennis Player
Racket thread
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 07:34:44 PM »
I just don't change racquets often. I'm hitting with a Head TiS4. Before that a Fisher and can't even remember the model. The Fisher was a well balanced racquet. I remember buying 3 of them for $90 at this club in Tampa Bay that I belonged to. The Head is light, and discontinued, but I like it!
In Heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here!

Offline TamadAko

• Tennis Player
Racket thread
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 07:37:05 PM »
:(
I use the extremely outdated HEAD Genesis 660.
Found it somewhere in my garage a year ago.

Offline NJtennis11

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 07:41:52 PM »
Ncdoe Six one here and I'm loving it!  For a regular player your serve may not be as good as it would be with other rackets, but I think you can get the best ground strokes possible for your game with that racket.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Racket thread
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 07:51:40 PM »
Wilson Triad 6.0 Prostaff - 95 sq inches
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 08:41:24 PM »
Quote from: "NJtennis11"
Ncdoe Six one here and I'm loving it!  For a regular player your serve may not be as good as it would be with other rackets, but I think you can get the best ground strokes possible for your game with that racket.

Which one?  Tour or 95?

Tamadako:  Is your racket anything like the Head Prestige?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline TamadAko

• Tennis Player
Racket thread
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
Quote from: "NJtennis11"

Which one?  Tour or 95?

Tamadako:  Is your racket anything like the Head Prestige?

nope looks nothing like it, I think my racket was popular in the early 90's

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
Racket thread
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 10:39:06 PM »
I'm still using the beast! Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic 95! This model is over 10 years old and it still rocks. Serves pop, volleys are crisp and groundies have weight behind em. I love it.  I have two of these racquets which are both under a year old. Whenever these die off I'll probably move to an N6-1 95. I hear they're similar.
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 08:08:08 AM »
Yo, my sticks are stupid.  Let's not even discuss.

But I wish I could check out Nadal's racket.  If not a Babolat (because people recommend it like crazy and the specs stack up favorably with what I currently use...), my next racket will be another oversized stick with 16 mains.  I was actually considering the Technifibre if only for the 14 main pattern they have on one of their rackets, but it's extended length.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
McIll, one of the racket testers at TW uses a Prince Thunder and he's a 5.5 serve and vollyer  :shocking:

You dont like extended length rackets?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com