Author Topic: Racket thread  (Read 3088 times)

Offline MontyDub

• Tennis Enthusiast
Racket thread
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2005, 08:19:37 AM »
I play with a W N'code 6-1 95 16x18...It's a great racquet. But just like every other company, something new will come out next year and I'll have to switch to the "tech of  the month".

Since were talking about racquets...I wanted ask everyone what the wierdest racquet they've ever played with or used? Two years ago I was in Indian Wells doing a charity event and Mark Woodford was there helping out. Afterward we were hitting and I noticed his racquet. It was a Snauwert but what was amazing was the strings. The pattern was 10x12  :-o   seriously. And the string was something like 13 gauge. I could drop a quarter through the string bed. He let me hit with it for a while and it was the strangest feeling. The ball hardly made a sound at impact. But the spin you could generate was sick. He said that no matter what racquet company sponsor he had, they would make the string pattern like that for him.

I wish I was good enough to make demands like that.
It reminds me of the immortal words of Socrates, who once said, "I drank what?"....Chris Knight

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »
Woodforde used 1.80mm Luxilon if memory serves.  BTW, i'm the newest member of the n6-1 95 club.  I just bought my friend's for $80.  I hit with it for about 20 minutes before we started a match.  I was serving really really well with it until the strings popped at 4-0 for me.  I then switched to the HPS 6.0, hit back to back aces, and closed it out 8-0.  :))
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline shadowrtype

• New Poster
Racket thread
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 12:58:43 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
There are 2 N6-1s, a Federer(85) and a midplus(95). The 85 is very tricky, especially for my style. I hit all my shots off centered, 2 or 3 strings above the center and a smaller racket isn't very forgiving when you're not hitting the center. The 95 is perfect for me, it's lighter and the sweet spot is a little larger. I'm going to wait for a year or so until my current Roks die then I'll switch, by then the price should drop somewhat.

Very interesting.  I play with the original Pro Staff 85 and love the feel and control of the racket.  It is an oldie and was the model used by many of the greatest players in the 80's and into the 90's including Sampras.  I'm curious about this N6-1 85.  I wonder if Wilson just put a new paint job on the original ProStaff or if it is really completely new technology.  Guess I gotta go to the pro shop to demo it to find out!  I doubt I'll ever switch rackets, though.  I have 3 of these ProStaffs and still trying to develop a solid serve/volley game.  I haven't found anything that matches the same feel and touch that I can get with it.  It is still interesting to hear about new gimmicks and marketing that these companies put out there now.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Racket thread
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 02:53:07 PM »
Timmy meant n6-1 90.  There's no such thing as a n6-1 85, although Courier uses his old 6.0s with a nCode paintjob.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com