Author Topic: What next for Brad Gilbert?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
What next for Brad Gilbert?
« on: December 30, 2004, 01:45:18 PM »
Roger Federer needs a coach and maybe teaming up with Gilbert could increase his chances of winning all 4 in on year by sharing some of the burden with a coach. Gilbert could also provide some useful advice on cracking Roland Garros. Can't really see this happening though, to be honest.

Maybe Gilbert could be the one to get Serena Williams back on track, but there wouls surely be some ego issues involved in any such partnership. Maybe he'll coach some other woman player, but I can't see him staying out of tennis for too long or teaming up with someone who doesn't have a realistic chance of becoming World No. 1.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 03:22:12 PM »
McIll mentioned Gilbert with one of the William sisters.  Has he ever coached a female before?  I wonder what transitions he would have to make.  I am not sure he would work well with Federer, I think Fed may want a more silent coach rather than Gilbert.  Heck, at this point in time I think Fed should coach Gilbert, he is just so damn good.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Princess

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 01:24:33 AM »
Brad once mentioned he'd love to coach Venus.  Venus is too family loyal.  Her dad would have to kick her to the curb before she seeks another coach.  It's all about the family for Venus.  

By the way, I hope this site stays this way and all those hateful people at ESPN don't come over her changing the board atmosphere.
Venus Rules: she'll prove it in '05

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 03:21:31 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
McIll mentioned Gilbert with one of the William sisters.  Has he ever coached a female before?  I wonder what transitions he would have to make.  I am not sure he would work well with Federer, I think Fed may want a more silent coach rather than Gilbert.  Heck, at this point in time I think Fed should coach Gilbert, he is just so damn good.
Scott, some other guy mentioned it first.  I just emphatically agreed.  Yeah, Gilbert has been great at adjusting the games of players with "too much game."  Serena, Venus, Capriati, and Marat all certainly fall into that category.  Especially Serena and Marat.  Those two win most matches on sheer talent and power alone, but with Brad they would learn to harness their shots to maximize their effectiveness.  

And I agree that Brad would be bad for Fed.  Fed doesn't need Brad, for one.  Plus, his girlfriend is very active in Fed's career and I've gotta think Brad and her would butt heads.  But, again, more importantly, Fed simply doesn't need Brad.  He seems to have found a way to use his weapons in the best way possible.  I think Brad could only HURT his game.  If Fed played higher percentage, uglier, grittier tennis, he would be straying away from his strengths.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 06:34:48 AM »
Interesting...  I would love to see Gilbert end up with one of the Williams sisters.  I had no clue they were close.

Welcome to the boards princess!!!
Scott Baker

Offline TennisinCorfu

• Tennis Player
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 08:45:52 AM »
I don’t think Brad Gilbert will hook up with anyone for a while, for some very real reasons.

1). Brad charges a LOT of money and very few players can afford to have him on the team. That’s why he has only coached Mary Pierce, Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick. They were/are all making HUGE bucks and can/could afford him.

2). Brad is an incessant talker. He has too to get his point across. A LOT of these foreign kids can speak a little English, but most of them don’t understand it very well, especially if you speak like a machine gun, like Brad does. Plus, most of these foreign players have entourages who probably speak ZERO English, so who would he speak to during matches? So Brad will need either an American, Brit or Canadian who also can afford him.

3). With that being said, they’re really only 3 American players that could afford to pay him; Capriati and the Williams sisters and, as much as I would LOVE to see Brad coaching one of these ladies, they are unfortunately (for Brad and probably for them as well) being coached by their fathers and blood (and money) are thicker then Brad’s strategic coaching abilities!
Phil

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 10:10:13 AM »
Well, I am nto a Capriati fan, so I hope she does not get her act together.  Whiney she is...
Scott Baker