Author Topic: Customizing a raquet... HELP needed  (Read 1313 times)

Offline salsainglesa

• Tennis Player
Customizing a raquet... HELP needed
« on: August 11, 2005, 04:33:48 PM »
Hello... I have some doubts about the rackets, I would like to know if I can customize a racket so it gets more Control oriented, because today I trained with a babolat pure drive, and the control I got in my ground strokes was much better than with my wilson hammer tour.
I use a 60 lb tension in the strings, and train 6 days a week...
What could I do? Add weight to the handle? I think that could help, would it?

Another thing is that I would like to paint my raquracketnt could I use? are there some guidelines to follow not to change much the way a rackets feels and plays?

Well, thank you very much friends

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 11:07:17 AM »
go to an advanced store
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent – the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 11:28:22 AM »
Paint, you lost me on that one, it will not do anything for you.

By adding weight I am not sure you will get any more control.  Usually those types of things give you more depth, power or other things, I have never heard of it adding control.  You can of course always tighten the string tension.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline djinni9

• Tennis Player
Re: Customizing a raquet... HELP needed
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »
Paint, you lost me on that one, it will not do anything for you.

By adding weight I am not sure you will get any more control.  Usually those types of things give you more depth, power or other things, I have never heard of it adding control.  You can of course always tighten the string tension.

actually, weight will increase control. more weight equals more stability. if the incoming ball's momentum overwhelms your racquet (this is even more crucial when volleying, as there's little racquet head speed to speak of), it will be difficult to control and execute the stroke at the moment of contact; how you intend to make the stroke will be offset by the relatively high momentum of the ball. imagine using a fly swatter for tennis, you can generate all the racquet head speed you want, and with perfect technique; you won't get any power, let alone control! stability, hence, weight, is a pre-requisite for control; less weight will lead to more deflection/wobbling on impact, and the more uncertain your shot will be.
no wonder that control oriented player's racquets are almost always the heaviest you'll find. and on a more technical note, as far as i know, greater weight equals a larger sweetspot, which translates to more forgiving off-center shots, other things being equal.

having said that i don't think adding weight to your racquet is such a good idea. minor tweaking is okay, but anything greater will distort the architecture of your stick.

as for tension, again, not such a good idea IMO. compensating for control by increasing tension slightly is good, but anything greater and you'll have major side effects. change in spin generation, discomfort, feel, touch, shock to your arm, tennis elbow, irritating sound.....

a racquet is an object with complicated physical properties; adjusting one aspect heavily will be counter-productive and have unintended consequences.

my advice is to get a racquet with the proper attributes. period. first and foremost, if you want greater control, switch to a smaller head size. nothing else will benefit you more on net.
second, a heavier racquet (though usually smaller head sizes come with larger weights anyway).
if all else fails, increase string tension toward the upper recommended range.
if the heaviest racquet sold today is close to 360 grams and you believe you'll play better, with more control, with 400 grams, then you might want to consider adding lead tape!
oh, and i heard that blue racquets tend to have better control.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Customizing a raquet... HELP needed
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
Wow, we are dredging up old topics. This one from 2005, over 3 years ago.
I would disagree with your final point; that adding weight to a frame is counter productive. Yes changing one aspect of a frame will also change others. Adding weight to the hoop will add weight to the racquet, and change it's balance, it's swingweight, the position of the sweetspot, and how heavy it feels (which can be different than it's actual weight).
But is instructive toward purchasing a new frame that is right for you. You can go out and demo various models, or you just monkey around with the one you have and in the end you have more information than you started with.
But I would only recommend making these kinds of changes, and investigating them after you have first gotten the rudimentary aspects of hitting the ball down. Get lessons. Learn how you play. That will tell you what kind of racquet you want in the end. Trying to figure out what frame is best for you (either by customizing, or demoing) is like shooting at a moving target, while you are moving. Stop first and aim.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)