Poll

one or two handed backhand?

one handed
5 (35.7%)
two handed
9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 07, 2005, 07:20:26 AM

Author Topic: one or two handed backhand?  (Read 3788 times)

Offline 10is champ

• Tennis Addict
« on: August 29, 2005, 08:20:26 AM »
i know its random... but i was wondering what every1 else thinks is better... one or two handed back hand?
personally i use mainly two handed backhand, but i do occasionaly use one... what do you use, prefer, or think is better?
personaly, it depends on the situation, i only usualy use the one handed if i need slice, to stretch/reach and drop-shots.
thanks
molik my hero

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 08:24:59 AM »
one-handed backhands are so stupid. They are for the people who like to show off (i.e. Federer, Henin, Mauresmo). The real players are not afraid to use the more consistent two-handed backhand (i.e. Agassi, Serena, Safin, Davenport).

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:03:06 AM »
one-handers have disproportional arms. I love using two-handed b/c of the power I can generate from it. Plus, it looks better...lol
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:48:06 AM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"
one-handers have disproportional arms. I love using two-handed b/c of the power I can generate from it. Plus, it looks better...lol

I use the one handed backhand and do not have unproportional arms.  It is called lifting weights...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 12:12:06 PM »
I like the two-handed backhand, even though everyone fawns all over the one-hander.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 12:20:34 PM »
one-handed backhands are so stupid. They are for the people who like to show off (i.e. Federer, Henin, Mauresmo). The real players are not afraid to use the more consistent two-handed backhand (i.e. Agassi, Serena, Safin, Davenport).

What are you talking about, using a one hander isn't stupid or showing off.  It is just what feels more natural for them to use.  For you it to say that it is stupid to use a one handed is stupid because look at the success Federer and Henin has had with those backhands.  Henin has, in my opinion the best backhand in womens tennis.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
back hand
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 12:25:03 PM »
DirtyKash are you saying Sampras was a show off?

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 02:18:03 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
Quote from: "wilsonboy"

I use the one handed backhand and do not have unproportional arms.  It is called lifting weights...

that's extra work. you could just use 2 hands and not bother with weights lol but whatever does it for you. The 1-hander seems less dependable, less powerful...it just seems like the overall worse of the two bhands. Sure you have more versatility but I'd much rather have consistency and power over a dropshot.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 02:39:34 PM »
that's extra work. you could just use 2 hands and not bother with weights lol but whatever does it for you. The 1-hander seems less dependable, less powerful...it just seems like the overall worse of the two bhands. Sure you have more versatility but I'd much rather have consistency and power over a dropshot.

Well even if you have a two-handed backhand (like everyone here) you still would use one hand for a dropshot.  And two-handed backhands are no more powerful than one handed, you get power if your technique and stroke is fluid.  :))

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 03:01:38 PM »
in terms of power, i think that there is not much difference- both can generate huge amounts of power depending on the technique (and how good it is). But generally, I'd say that two-handed BHs seem to be a bit more stable and error free e.g. Agassi's BH is a bit more reliable than Fed's, but both are very powerful. One-handers are more aesthetically pleasing though.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 03:05:44 PM »
Quote from: "gm3106"
in terms of power, i think that there is not much difference- both can generate huge amounts of power depending on the technique (and how good it is). But generally, I'd say that two-handed BHs seem to be a bit more stable and error free e.g. Agassi's BH is a bit more reliable than Fed's, but both are very powerful. One-handers are more aesthetically pleasing though.

://

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »
GM summed it up nicely.

Offline tabbgurl

• New Poster
Re: ...
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 03:19:03 PM »
Quote from: "#1federerfan"

What are you talking about, using a one hander isn't stupid or showing off.  It is just what feels more natural for them to use.  For you it to say that it is stupid to use a one handed is stupid because look at the success Federer and Henin has had with those backhands.  Henin has, in my opinion the best backhand in womens tennis.

I agree, I use a one-handed, and it works fine for me!  ://

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
Welcom
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 03:22:21 PM »
Welcome to the boards tabbgurl.  :welcome)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: ...
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 03:40:19 PM »
Quote from: "tabbgurl"
Quote from: "#1federerfan"

I agree, I use a one-handed, and it works fine for me!  ://

JHH's backhand is smooth as butter!  

The one handed backhand is tougher for people to use.  You need to be fairly strong to you use it.  If you are late trying to hit the ball you only have one hand/forearm working the racquet to get it into place, and that hand is low on the grip which makes it even tougher (tourque).  When I first started using the topspin one hander I always had problems catching up with balls if I was late, it is a tough adjustment.  

Each backhand has it's plus and minus'.  If you look at history, there are some serious all-time greats who use the one hander, and some that use the two-hander as well.

And most importantly of all, Welcome to boards tabbgurl!!!   :welcome)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline tenista

• Tennis Enthusiast
    • http://www.goladyjags.com
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 06:34:50 PM »
Every player should learn how to hit both. Each has its proper time. I think the one hand is harder for an opponent to return, because of the variety of spin. But the two hand can give you a clean winner.

As for JHH's topspin one hand, I only wish I could hit a backhand so well. Only Sampras did it better.
Tennis is Sinnet spelled backwards.

Offline TennisStar05

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 07:08:20 PM »
Yea, using a 2hander is not comfortable for me. !hander is alot more versitile, and thats why i like it.

Offline 10is champ

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 04:01:05 AM »
thanks 4 getting involved guys  :))
i use a 2 hander cos i was taught that way,but i find 1 handers good for dropshots, or if i really need to place the ball down the line, with less power.
thanks 4 the gr8 replies  :H
molik my hero

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 06:05:14 AM »
The only time I use a one-handed backhand is when I have to dive(not jump-dive) for the ball. I find that people who use the one-handed have a greater chance of spraining their muscle. Also, the one-handed tries out the arm and that can affect your forhand.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline 10is champ

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 06:38:51 AM »
yeh thats true...
i think one-handers are used for like reaching and diving because you [apparently] can reach/streach further, so i supose its useful  ..-)
molik my hero