Author Topic: YES, YES, YES!!!! We've won back the Ashes  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
YES, YES, YES!!!! We've won back the Ashes
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »
We've done it- England have won back the Ashes and can now say they are arguably the greatest Cricket side in the world. We have won the 5 test series 2-1 after drawing the final test. It's one of the best days of my life.

"Is it the Ashes ... yes, it's the Ashes, England have won the Ashes!" Brian Johnston's immortal words have echoed around The Oval ever since they were uttered 52 years ago, when Denis Compton cracked the final boundary to bring the ultimate prize back home for the first time in 19 years. The 2005 homecoming was rather more of a mish mash as bad light, the one thing that had inched them ever-closer to victory over the weekend, returned to rob them of their definitive crowning moment.

The end, when it came, could not have been further from the fraught, frenetic, scramble for the line that we had been promised, and which we feared. Instead, The Oval was a carnival that gradually found its voice, then lost it temporarily amid the confusion. Hands that, mid-afternoon, had been preventing chins from slumping beneath the stands, were raised in unison to clap and cheer and do congas around the concourse. Hope and despair, those terrible tyrants, have ruled our summer with a Machiavellian glee, but today they were dispatched to the outer reaches of the kingdom. England have won back the Ashes. Only disbelief remains to confound us.

How much does this moment matter to us? How much does it matter to this generation of cricketers, who have played their hearts out all summer long? How much does it matter to the ticketless hordes who lined the roof of the derelict old pub at midwicket, or who peered through the railings on the Harleyford Road, as if they were schoolchildren transported from a sepia still of the 1950s?

How much does it matter to all those networks of friends, catatonic in front of their workstations, texting every twist as the country became commentators for the day? As one journalist pointed out, midway through the most solemn of lunch breaks, if Australia had turned this match around, there would have followed the most public outpouring of grief since Diana's funeral.

He wasn't far wrong. I was 11 when cricket caught me in its tractor beam - in the summer of 1989, of all the luckless, God-awful moments to have stumbled across the sport. I belong to a generation of cricket fans, this England team included, who have lived our lives for this moment. After so much hope and such tantalising expectations, to have it ripped from our grasp yet again would have been the bitterest ending of all.

That was the ending we all feared, and Australia so nearly delivered. The morning session had been dredged from the deepest recesses of England's anxieties. Two champion bowlers howling at the door, and that dreaded sense of inevitability threatening to envelop all and sundry. Warne was as magnificent as everyone knew he would be; Glenn McGrath rose to the occasion as everyone forgot he could. On another day, with a less alert umpire, he might have had a hat-trick with Kevin Pietersen plucked first ball, but at 126 for 5 with the ball turning so square that Hawkeye's parameters had to be reconfigured, there was only one way this game seemed likely to go - and that was down to the wire.

Instead, out of the ruins of hope came Pietersen's greatest intercession yet in a year of eye-popping batting feats. Did he have even the remotest understanding of what he was pulling off? Quite possibly not - this is the greatest match he will ever be asked to play in, but unlike his team-mates, he has not lived England's agonies from first Ashes defeat to last. At the beginning of the series, I questioned whether he would ever be accepted into the bosom of the country quite as readily as a man such as Andrew Flintoff. Today, he answered that charge with a performance of uncomplicated brutality. His mind was uncluttered and his strokes were unfurled, and England reaped the rewards of his audacity.

And yet, how cruel it was that the man who had it in him to be the hero of the day turned instead into the villain? Shane Warne awoke to visions of destiny this morning. He bowled and bowled until his shoulder fell off, operating unchanged at the Vauxhall End from two minutes to 11 until 12 minutes to five. He returned, gloriously, to collect his fifth and sixth of the innings, and 12th of the match - a rightful haul that carried him to 40 for the series - but it was his crucial spill, when Pietersen had made just 15, that was his most significant contribution to this most extraordinary final day.

By degrees, Warne tired, and with him Australia faded. His fizzing legbreaks became twisting half-volleys, and Pietersen seized the changing tempo. His seven sixes, an Ashes record and each them an emphatic stamp of class, carried England first out of the darkness then gloriously into the light. The strokeless Paul Collingwood played an innings for the occasion, leaving Ashley Giles to ensure that the high-ground would not be vacated.

England grew in stature and Australia shrunk from view, and it was only at the very last that we finally accepted the truth. The Ashes are home and the better side has won. What an extraordinary journey it has been. We may never see its like again.

Pictures of the Ashes celebrations and days play can be found at:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/gallery/218930.html
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 08:04:41 AM »
crazy brits

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 08:13:40 AM »
You wish your lot can play cricket like our guys and give our full backing to our heroes :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 08:14:03 AM »
We Canadians play curling.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:19:21 AM »
Quote from: "DirtyKash"

I seem to remember us Brits coming out on top in womens curling during the last winter Olympics in 2002 at Salt Lake City.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 08:30:06 AM »
I am not even sure what Cricket and Curling are.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline cgw

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 08:30:50 AM »
Do you "play curling" or do you just "curl?"

Chris, could you explain scoring in cricket to me? I've never understood it. Oh, and simplify it as much as you can. Thanks.

What are The Ashes? Sounds as though you have won back someone's remains.
She KNEW she had a big fat ass...and her attitude was "Kiss it!"

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 08:33:40 AM »
I've never been able to get into cricket. Despite being English and with the whole country going cricket crazy, it's just too boring to watch. It's barely even a sport IMO. But still, I'm pleased England have actually won something for once.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 08:34:09 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I am not even sure what Cricket and Curling are.  :)

R u serious? I don't knkow what curling is but you should know cricket. When Wimbledon was being broadcasted, they kept on showing thins one commecial with this guy looking at a cricket(the insect) in the middle of a cricket(the sport) match. I remember playing it when I was younger....good times...
Be the change that you seek.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 08:38:12 AM »
Quote from: "ChrisTaylor1987"

I seem to remember us Brits coming out on top in womens curling during the last winter Olympics in 2002 at Salt Lake City.

We took bronze for the women's. :( But we did take silver for the men. Had a chance for gold, but the last throw from Kevin Martin went a little too far and we lost 6-5. It was a heartbreaker.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 03:15:18 AM »
Quote from: "RainerShuttle"
I've never been able to get into cricket. Despite being English and with the whole country going cricket crazy, it's just too boring to watch. It's barely even a sport IMO. But still, I'm pleased England have actually won something for once.

How can you say its been boring Rainer? Its been the best series of all time and everyday has been exciting. If you dont understand how it goes though I can understand it.

I have been watching England when they were the worst team in the world- so to now beat the best team and possibly be the best team in the world is so special.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 03:17:49 AM »

How can you possibly say its barely a sport? I would like to see you facing someone like Freddie Flintoff or Brett Lee bowling a rock hard ball at you travelling at 95mph- Be interesting to see if you got the chance to walk off the field(rather than be carried off) if you still thought it was barely a sport.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 03:28:34 AM »
Quote from: "cgw"
Do you "play curling" or do you just "curl?"

Chris, could you explain scoring in cricket to me? I've never understood it. Oh, and simplify it as much as you can. Thanks.

What are The Ashes? Sounds as though you have won back someone's remains.

Cricket is a team game played between two teams of eleven players each. It originated in its modern form in England, and is popular mainly in the countries of the Commonwealth. In the countries of South Asia, including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, cricket is by far the most popular participatory and spectator sport. Cricket is a major sport in places such as England and Wales, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the English-speaking Caribbean.

The length of the game (a game can last over six or more hours a day for up to five days), numerous intervals for lunch and tea and rich terminology help confuse those not familiar with the sport. For its fans, the sport and the intense rivalries between the top cricketing nations provide passionate entertainment that has occasionally given rise to diplomatic outrage.

Many modes of dismissal require the wicket to be "put down". The wicket is down if a bail is dislodged from the top of the stumps or a stump is struck out of the ground either with the ball, or by a fielder with the ball in his hand. Briefly, the eleven modes of dismissal are:

Caught if a fielder catches the ball after the batsman strikes it, before the ball bounces.
Bowled if a delivered ball puts down the wicket at the batsman's end.
Leg before wicket (LBW) if a delivered ball misses the bat and strikes the leg of the batsman, and the umpire judges that the trajectory would have struck the stumps; certain other criteria may also have to be fulfilled.
Run out if a fielder puts a wicket down with the ball whilst a batsman is still running between the two ends.
Stumped if the batsman leaves his crease in playing a delivery, voluntarily or involuntarily, but the ball goes to the wicket-keeper who uses it to put the wicket down before the batsman has remade his ground.
Hit wicket if the batsman puts the wicket down with his own bat or body; either in playing a shot or in taking off for the first run.
Handled the ball if the batsman deliberately handles the ball.
Hit the ball twice if the batsman hits the ball twice, except in order to use it as a barrier from rolling and striking his stumps.
Obstructing the field if a batsman deliberately hinders a fielder from attempting to field the ball.
Timed out if a new batsman takes over three minutes to appear on the field to replace a dismissed batsman. (If the delay is even more protracted, the umpires may forfeit the match.)

The Ashes is played between England and Australia twice every 4 years- once in England, once in Australia. The name Ahes came about from a bail that is placed upon the top of the stumps being burn't after a series between the 2 in 1882. They were put into a tiny Urn and ever since England and Australia have competed for them. The urn, with the Ashes in may be tiny but its the history and the fact you have beaten your greatest rivals which make it the biggest series within world cricket. The teams compete in 5 matches all of 5 days in length and then the team who wins the series wins the Ashes.
Hope that helps you somewhat :)

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 05:05:53 AM »

How can you possibly say its barely a sport? I would like to see you facing someone like Freddie Flintoff or Brett Lee bowling a rock hard ball at you travelling at 95mph- Be interesting to see if you got the chance to walk off the field(rather than be carried off) if you still thought it was barely a sport.

And how would that prove that it isn't barely a sport? Not being able to hit a cricket ball travelling at speed would prove that I'm crap at cricket but not much else. Anyway, that's just what I think, probably born out of having to play it for weeks on end back in the first few years of high school. Damn that was boring.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 07:27:04 AM »
If cricket is not a sport, then you could have that argument for every sport. Why is football a sport? Why is basketball a sport? How come tennis is classed as a sport?
It takes great skill to do what those players do and of course it should be classed as a sport- its always been a sport and one that more and more people are getting into.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 07:50:35 AM »
Cricket is a sport.........but no one cares about it outside of those English 5 o'clock tea-drinkers and maybe some random guys in India and Pakistan.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 07:56:20 AM »
Cricket is a sport.........but no one cares about it outside of those English 5 o'clock tea-drinkers and maybe some random guys in India and Pakistan.

I think you will find more people care about cricket rather than the so called sport of curling. People all across the world know what cricket is other than a few of the Americans and Canadians. Put it this way more people will like cricket in the world than Curling- and thats a FACT!

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 07:58:14 AM »
Because there's like a billion people in India.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 08:01:11 AM »
Add to that people in England, Australia, South Africa, Pakistan, West Indies, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and thats just the top tier playing countries. In total there is close to 100 countries playing cricket- a fair more than the sport of curling.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 09:08:04 AM »
If cricket is not a sport, then you could have that argument for every sport. Why is football a sport? Why is basketball a sport? How come tennis is classed as a sport?
It takes great skill to do what those players do and of course it should be classed as a sport- its always been a sport and one that more and more people are getting into.

It clearly is a sport but IMO (I can't stress that enough) it isn't much of one. You need great skill to achieve anything, doesn't make it a sport. I needed great skill to put together my new table from IKEA, does that make it a sport? Football is a sport, or indeed a tougher sport to play physically, because the action is non-stop. Likewise basketball. Likewise tennis. Cricket does not require great physical endurance or what not - if you're fielding, you can play for hours without doing anything. It just doesn't appeal to me.