Author Topic: YES, YES, YES!!!! We've won back the Ashes  (Read 3682 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
YES, YES, YES!!!! We've won back the Ashes
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 09:14:22 AM »
Quote from: "RainerShuttle"
Quote from: "ChrisTaylor1987"
If cricket is not a sport, then you could have that argument for every sport. Why is football a sport? Why is basketball a sport? How come tennis is classed as a sport?
It takes great skill to do what those players do and of course it should be classed as a sport- its always been a sport and one that more and more people are getting into.

It clearly is a sport but IMO (I can't stress that enough) it isn't much of one. You need great skill to achieve anything, doesn't make it a sport. I needed great skill to put together my new table from IKEA, does that make it a sport? Football is a sport, or indeed a tougher sport to play physically, because the action is non-stop. Likewise basketball. Likewise tennis. Cricket does not require great physical endurance or what not - if you're fielding, you can play for hours without doing anything. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Doesn't need great physical endurance- Doubt you could bat against some of the best bowlers in the world without become extremely mentally and physically drained. Football has a half- time, tennis stops in between points, basketball is split into quarters- so really every sport there is a stoppage involved. Really can't see how in YOUR opinion it is not much of one.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 09:26:05 AM »
If cricket is not a sport, then you could have that argument for every sport. Why is football a sport? Why is basketball a sport? How come tennis is classed as a sport?
It takes great skill to do what those players do and of course it should be classed as a sport- its always been a sport and one that more and more people are getting into.

It clearly is a sport but IMO (I can't stress that enough) it isn't much of one. You need great skill to achieve anything, doesn't make it a sport. I needed great skill to put together my new table from IKEA, does that make it a sport? Football is a sport, or indeed a tougher sport to play physically, because the action is non-stop. Likewise basketball. Likewise tennis. Cricket does not require great physical endurance or what not - if you're fielding, you can play for hours without doing anything. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Doesn't need great physical endurance- Doubt you could bat against some of the best bowlers in the world without become extremely mentally and physically drained. Football has a half- time, tennis stops in between points, basketball is split into quarters- so really every sport there is a stoppage involved. Really can't see how in YOUR opinion it is not much of one.

For the reasons I just said  :))
You can't compare the 3 minutes tennis players have as a break to the potential hours fielders and batsmen waiting to bat get, not to mention time out for lunch etc. But back to the original point of this thread - it's good to see England win something big again. Hopefully the football team can do likewise next summer.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 04:44:14 AM »

For the reasons I just said  :))
You can't compare the 3 minutes tennis players have as a break to the potential hours fielders and batsmen waiting to bat get, not to mention time out for lunch etc. But back to the original point of this thread - it's good to see England win something big again. Hopefully the football team can do likewise next summer.

I fielder needs to be concentrate 100% all the time otherwise he will mess up when the ball comes to him- thats very mentally draining standing in the field for hours knowing the ball may come at anytime.

I really think England can now push on from this victory as we have won our last 6 series- that is the last year and a half, we can definitely become the greates team on the planet because we have a very good young team. We may be the best team in the world now but we have to prove it over a long period of time and dominate the sport for years to come.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 04:19:24 PM »
I've been watching it all summer too, and I'm sure in years to come thinking about the Ashes will remind me of this time. I thought it was incredible- the Aussies are one of the best sides of all time and "our boys" took them down.

Offline neomanxl

• Tennis Player
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 08:01:08 PM »
ok cmon people i toatlly agree with chris on this one, cricket is a very great sport which requires a lot of skill, u lot just dont get this because u dont understand the game, btw india will soon be takin that title from england
feel free to aim me anything about tennis :p

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 07:52:12 AM »
Quote from: "gm3106"
I've been watching it all summer too, and I'm sure in years to come thinking about the Ashes will remind me of this time. I thought it was incredible- the Aussies are one of the best sides of all time and "our boys" took them down.

Glad somebody agrees it has got to be the best series ever and 1 that I will never forget. Our boys are such huge heroes now.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 07:56:22 AM »
Quote from: "neomanxl"
ok cmon people i toatlly agree with chris on this one, cricket is a very great sport which requires a lot of skill, u lot just dont get this because u dont understand the game, btw india will soon be takin that title from england

Thank you- it is a fantastic sport to play and watch and it can be so exciting when the best teams play one another.
Don't count on India becoming the best team in the world :)  we have a very young team which has the potential to dominate like the Australians have the last 10 years.
We will come to India and show you how good we can be- I know very few teams ever win in India but in January this year we we only the 2nd team to beat South Africa in South Africa for 35 years and then just a few days ago we became the 1st team to beat Australia in a series since 2001 when India defeated them. Should be afacinating winter for England in Pakistan and then India- perfect challenges for our team.

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 07:18:27 PM »
...Football is a sport, or indeed a tougher sport to play physically, because the action is non-stop. Likewise basketball. Likewise tennis. Cricket does not require great physical endurance or what not - if you're fielding, you can play for hours without doing anything. It just doesn't appeal to me.

C'mon, even chess is as sport. Shooting. Throwing the javelin. Archery. High jump. What the heck. Never heard of anyone else who defined sport as NON-STOP ACTION. I'm glad the Olympic Committee don't.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 07:32:46 PM »
Aye, don't you just hate personal opinions  :\