Author Topic: Nice Website  (Read 1991 times)

Anonymous

Nice Website
« on: January 03, 2005, 07:04:12 PM »
Hi  :)) , I'm Dan, happy to find this website where I could find tonnes of tennis info. Great job! A little info about myself, I'm from S'pore, where it's a beautiful busy city and a fortunate country not to be in one of the hitlist of the recent tsunami. I'm am really grateful for that (if not i dun think i will be posting here)

On with tennis, I first touch a tennis racquet about 10 yrs back but only seriously into the game this one and a half yrs. I would consider myself in between a beginner and intermediate level player. During stroke play, I consider myself ok, able to return ball with control and direction most of the time (Forehand). Problem comes when playing games, my movement was no good when hitting the ball and backhand ohh was terrible. Either the ball i hit with backhand was over the baseline or it just floats back towards the opponent court for them to attack easily. Becase of that I can't really play a decent game to enjoy cause i kept losing. Urrg it hurts  :(

Was hoping that u could provide some advise on that.
Once again nice website and wat a nice sport tennis is!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Nice Website
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 08:30:11 PM »
Whew, just got in from tennis, need to hit the shower, I will get back to this shortly.  I am glad you found the website and glad you like it.  We always love new vistiors!  

Extra glad you were not in the disaster area!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Nice Website
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 08:44:07 PM »
Ok, backhands.  I guess we will need a tid bit more info.  Do you use a one hander, a two hander?  Do you have problems with high balls, low balls, short shots, deep shots?

Do you hit with topspin or slice?
Scott Baker

Offline hummer23mm

• Tennis Addict
    • http://www.atptennis.com
Nice Website
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 09:10:17 PM »
do you play a 2hander or 1 handed backhand?  let us know, becasue each one can have its own set of potential problems that need to be corrected.  from waht you said, your movement is a problem, and on th backhand, it takes a lot of coordination to swing acrsos your body and get pace.  the movement and footwork is huge.  try to get out and run around your neighborhood, or do some sprints.  as you no doubt know, tennis is a sport you must really commited to, you cant just expect to walk onto a court and play your bes tif you dont practice and get into shape.
Mike

Dan

Nice Website
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 09:43:22 PM »
I using a 2 handed-backhand. The problem lies with hitting balls with that are deep and high. My balls are hit flat i think so guess it do not have that spin to make it drop to the ground fast enough.

I am a right-handed player. Thus sssit correct to say that back-hand is actually playing with my left hand playing a forehand shot, (the right -hand is more holding to keep your racquet in place). And how do you actually play a top-spin back?

Tks for your reply :P

Offline philip

• Tennis Enthusiast
Nice Website
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 01:21:14 AM »
I have problems with high balls to the forehand

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Nice Website
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 01:45:39 AM »
Not sure what you were actually asking Dan but if you're asking how to couner deep shots to your backhand, Ill tell u what I do. I usually abbreviate my backswing starting my stroke AT my waist (instead of taking my racquet way back behind my waste). Then, I usually take the ball really early and kinda half-stroke it as soon as it hits the ground. It takes a lot of timing but it can actually become an offensive shot when you do it right becuz it can rush ur opponent.

If you're asking HOW to hit a topspin backhand...there's only one way to do that..LOW TO HIGH!! :) Take the stick back low, and accelerate through to high. That's how ya get topspin...Though Scott (tennis4you) would be better w. helping you out with technique and stuff.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents..

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Nice Website
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 08:28:59 AM »
Taking the ball off the rise is a really good way to notlet the balls creep up too high on you.  Although this can be challanging.  One you need to recognize the situation quick enough that you can get up close to where the ball bounces.  This requires you to be in a place on the court where you will be able to do that.  Then you need to hit the ball pretty quickly after it hits the ground.  Ex:  Agassi...

That takes an increibule amount of timing and can be very tough.  

Your other option, and what you will need to do when you are not in position to take it off of the rise will be to use those feet.  You need to back up with the ball so when your racquet comes in contact with the ball your racquet is not over your head.

Back up with the ball, and just roll the ball back.  By rolling it back I mean using topspin and throwing back a deep non-offensive shot.  Returning the deep topspin shots are tough to hit with tons of pace, especially if you have let them push you back well behind the baseline to hit them.  Your goal here is to roll the ball back and try to get it deep in the court.  What you do not want to do is try to hti the ball hard and end up hitting a shot bal that your opponent can attack, especially when you are so far back in the court.  Check out this article on that subject...  http://www.tennis4you.com/lesson-lounge/tennis4you/strategy/one-good-lob-deserves-another.htm

But the topspin is just like Arc said, low to high with the racquet face, meaning you *brush* up the back of the ball to create spin.

Any of that mumbo jumbo help?
Scott Baker

Dan

Nice Website
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 06:43:08 PM »
Hi Scott and others, tks for your reply. I definitely try to as advised.
Trying to take the ball off the rise, and doing some jogging to build up stamina to be quicker than the ball pace.

I do have some more questions, (hope I am not creating some nuisance
here, I just want to make sure wat I'm doing is correct ;P)

a.) Which one is a more appropriate grip for 2 handed-backhand?
     Continental & Eastern or Eastern Eastern

b.) How far should your racquet be away from your body as u prepare
     to take a back-hand shot?

Once again, tks to all for the wonderful people here to share their tennis
knowledge.  :H

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Nice Website
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 06:48:47 PM »
Dan, you are not a nuisance, this is what we are here for.  :)

I have never used a 2 handed backhand, so I can offer little advise on this one in terms of grip.

As far as how far away should your racquet be?  Watch Agassi, see how he is in a comfortable zone, not too close, not too far away (Unless stretching for a shot)  You need to do what is comfortable, within reason.  Check out some photos or videos of Agassi, he is a perfect example.  I think that is a better answer than trying to give you a number that might not be right for you.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Nice Website
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 07:00:10 PM »
Dan, on my backhand I use continental (right hand) and eastern (left hand) and I'm right handed. As far as distance away, yes, looking at someone like Andre to see how they simply find the comfortable space for them, like Scott said. Generally, you want the ball to be close enough to you that you're not on your tip toes reaching for it and that its not so close you can barely swing. You'll find your comfort zone once you swing enough...but yeah, there's really no way to give a definite distance.

Hope that helps   :H  Good luck.