Poll

Best male player not to win a Grand Slam?

Coria
7 (25%)
Haas
7 (25%)
Grosjean
3 (10.7%)
Henman
5 (17.9%)
Corretja
2 (7.1%)
Other
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: October 01, 2005, 09:33:08 PM

Author Topic: Who is the best male player to never win a grand slam?  (Read 11244 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Who is the best male player to never win a grand slam?
« on: October 01, 2005, 09:33:08 PM »
On the womens, where you can only come up with 1 or 2 worthy chasers, who have yet to garner a Grand Slam title, there are quite a few men who could be considered worthy, yet have not managed to nab that 1 slam title yet.    Who is the best of all?

Here are my chief candidates whom you may vote from, of if you disagree vote for other, and feel free to reveal your pick:

Guillermo Coria-one of the top 2 clay courters in the World for the last 3 years, and still has not won the French title people except him to attain.   Many call him a magician on clay due to his incredable inventivenss and mastery of ball control on the surface, but he cannot match the raw hitting power of a few of his chief rivals of varying periods on the surface, Ferrero and Nadal, and has also suffered from nerves on the big occasion.

Tommy Haas-After years of teasing with his potential, finaly broke through as a real contender on tour in 2001 by winning several titles, including a tier 2 title over Sampras in the final, and a Masters title beating Hewitt in the semis(Stuttgart, the final year of the event).    Could not quite break through in a major though, possably could have won the 2002 U.S open had he gotten past Hewitt, played reasonable for half the match but was not tough enough or willing to dig deep enough to come out ahead.     In 2003 had arguably his best chance ever at the Australian Open, but after battling valiantly through a hellish draw ran out of energy, and also suffered from a stiff shoulder, in losing a 2 sets to 1 lead to Safin in the semis.    Has struggled with injuries since, and will probably never come as close again.

Sebastien Grosjean-Blew a place in the Australian Open final in 2001, which an enormous choke vs countryman and best friend Arnaud Clement in the semis.   Although I do believe Agassi would have beaten him in the final, it is still worth noting he went 2-0 vs Agassi the remainder of the year, beating him in both the French quarters, and Masters final round robin.   So while I still believe Agassi who was playing so well, loves rebound ace, would have won, I also believe Grosjean would have had a chance of winning the final.    Has reached several semis since, often worrying the top players, and occasionaly beating one, but a spot in a slam final, let alone a slam win, now seems more unlikely than ever.

Alex Corretja-I dont even know if he is still an active player, but if he is, one of the best clay courters in the World from 97-
2002, who was surprisingly capable on hard courts as well.

Tim Henman-Just because at Wimbledon he has had so many excellent showings, without quite breaking through for the big trophy, or even quite the final.   Might have done it in 2001 without rain delay in semis vs Ivanisevic, then again hard to tell how a Rafter-Henman final at Wimbledon would go.

Other options-other

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:48:33 PM »
Henman is the most legendary of the options but Coria is the best player up there, I think.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:54:37 PM »
A year ago I probably wouldnt have included Coria just because it seemed so obvious he would win a slam title at some point in his career, definitely a French Open eventualy, slam dunk.   Now that no longer seems to be the case, I am not saying he couldnt win a French Open(and it is now clear the only place he may ever win a slam is the French Open), but he is far from a safe bet to win one in his career, so I felt comfortable including him now.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 09:55:10 PM »
It's a shame that Coria's leg messed him up in the final against Gaudio. That was his year to finally win it. He's the best player on this list and the French Open should come any year now for him.

(Though I find that Coria is overall an *******, but that has nothing to do with this. Just saying.)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 10:45:09 PM »
I have to go with Coria on this one.  He blew that FO final.  That was probably the worst match I have ever seen.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 10:57:03 PM »
I dont understand how Gaudio's slam win was considered an inspirational moment in the game, and the commentators and fans acted like it was one of the most moving and touching moments they have ever seen; and yet Thomas Johansson and Albert Costa, who are more accomplished players overall than Gaudio is, and have done more on their premiere surfaces, Thomas hard courts(although some might argue grass), Albert clay, had their wins practialy mourned over, bellyached about, and agonized over as having somehow ruined the mens game.    Actually I know the answer to alot of my own question, the circumstances and various events that unfolded around the match, the history between the two, Gaudio being an underdog and overlooked player from the same rising group that pampered and catered to others of that same childhood group like Coria and Nalbandian, the diabilitating dialogue and plot how it all played, somehow made it seem like one of the most heart-warming underdog triumphs; while Costa and Johansson had none of that same benefit in their slam final victories.    It just seems unfair in a way, but that is sport I guess, *sighs*

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 11:00:15 PM »
So far Coria running away with it, I voted for very cute Tommy Haas, I hope that last phrase does not erode the credability of my vote.     :)~

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »
For me it was close with Coria and Grosjean but I voted for Grosjean.

Offline 10is champ

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 06:42:41 AM »
yeh i said coria
molik my hero

Offline 10is champ

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 06:43:49 AM »
yay im on 2 stars!!! woo... tennis enthusiast!... how many posts until 3 stars!?
molik my hero

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 07:40:59 AM »
way bloody more than you think, mate.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »
Quote from: "10is champ"
yay im on 2 stars!!! woo... tennis enthusiast!... how many posts until 3 stars!?

New Poster 1
Tennis Player 25
Tennis Enthusiast 75
Tennis Addict 150
Tennis Pro 350
Tennis God 500

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 07:18:56 PM »
lol I remember when all it took was 100 to be a god. Ah, the good old days.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 03:23:22 PM »
The answer is Rios.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 03:27:58 PM »
Rios was never that good. He's overrated.

Offline cakes

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 03:34:36 PM »
Putting in a vote for Todd Martin.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 03:38:11 PM »
Super stiff Todd Martin? You cannot be serious!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 04:11:55 PM »
Looks like I'm with a lot of you guys... I also picked Coria.  I think the French Open would have been his best shot, but now there are so many 'clay-courters'... his days might be numbered now.  He should have taken that chance, what? 2 years ago when he had the match practically won!  Now it might be too late...

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 04:57:06 PM »
If it's any consolation Kittens, Haas would be my second choice.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 05:33:34 PM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
If it's any consolation Kittens, Haas would be my second choice.

You agree with me, that he is a cutie dont you.    :)~