Poll

Are you sick of all these Federer threads?

yes
11 (50%)
no
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: October 04, 2005, 09:34:11 PM

Author Topic: Are you sick of all this Federer talk?  (Read 19457 times)

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Are you sick of all this Federer talk?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 04:15:29 PM »
Yes.

Maria's modeling is a joke and Serena's fashion is laughable. Both of those are actually funny...I'd much rather get a laugh out of the hype as opposed to being nagged by it.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 04:17:50 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
Yes.

Maria's modeling is a joke and Serena's fashion is laughable. Both of those are actually funny...I'd much rather get a laugh out of the hype as opposed to being nagged by it.

Well I'd rather talk about tennis than some crap about a zit faced teen modeling, or a man in a dress.

Offline mmm

• Tennis Player
    • http://www.topspin-me.tk
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
Quote from: "#1federerfan"
Yes.

Well I'd rather talk about tennis than some crap about a zit faced teen modeling, or a man in a dress.

When you said man in a dress, for a moment there, I thought you were referring to Hrbaty in the last US Open... :))

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 10:12:08 PM »
Yes.

Ooh, #1federer wants to start something.

Offline NJtennis11

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 10:15:55 PM »
Some of Serena's designs are pathetic at best.

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 10:27:51 PM »
I've seen some of her desighns that weren't to bad actually. But what do any of us know about fashion.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2005, 09:40:38 AM »
I could never get tired of talking about Federer!  He is a tennis player, after all and this is a tennis forum... Why hate the "man" just because you're sick of hearing about him?  When you have a great champion, why not talk about him?  It's better than talking about all the drug scandals, the women's fashion, the downfall of Roddick, the soap opera of the Russian Federation, etc., etc. in my opinion.  I think one of the problems with tennis is that we don't promote our 'champions' like they do in golf, football, etc.  I'm not saying this because I'm a hugh Federer fan, but I think we need to lift up and talk about whoever would be dominating the sport!  We need our #1 player to be a household name to others who doesn't know anything about tennis!  I was not into golf until the Tiger Woods era!  I thought it was boring.  Then when Tiger came, I started getting interested in it because that's all you would hear about!  Tiger did this... Tiger broke this record.. etc.  It made me start watching.  Now I'll watch even when Tiger isn't playing now.  This is what we need to do with tennis.  Capture those audiences who normally wouldn't watch but maybe they will just to see what records Roger will break or how long his streak in finals will last.  Once they watch, who knows - we may capture their attention for other tournaments.  

I rather people watch for a 'good reason', i.g. Roger's dominance and excellent tennis, than for a bad one, i.g. to see who will be testing positive for drugs next.

Just my thoughts.... ;)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 11:11:20 AM »
Quote from: "Dallas"
I could never get tired of talking about Federer!  He is a tennis player, after all and this is a tennis forum... Why hate the "man" just because you're sick of hearing about him?  When you have a great champion, why not talk about him?  It's better than talking about all the drug scandals, the women's fashion, the downfall of Roddick, the soap opera of the Russian Federation, etc., etc. in my opinion.  I think one of the problems with tennis is that we don't promote our 'champions' like they do in golf, football, etc.  I'm not saying this because I'm a hugh Federer fan, but I think we need to lift up and talk about whoever would be dominating the sport!  We need our #1 player to be a household name to others who doesn't know anything about tennis!  I was not into golf until the Tiger Woods era!  I thought it was boring.  Then when Tiger came, I started getting interested in it because that's all you would hear about!  Tiger did this... Tiger broke this record.. etc.  It made me start watching.  Now I'll watch even when Tiger isn't playing now.  This is what we need to do with tennis.  Capture those audiences who normally wouldn't watch but maybe they will just to see what records Roger will break or how long his streak in finals will last.  Once they watch, who knows - we may capture their attention for other tournaments.  

I rather people watch for a 'good reason', i.g. Roger's dominance and excellent tennis, than for a bad one, i.g. to see who will be testing positive for drugs next.

Just my thoughts.... ;)

Agree, agree, agree.   :)

Anonymous

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 12:44:17 PM »

Just my thoughts.... ;)

This world isn't all flowers and daisy's, talking about a vareity of people and things keep it interesting. I can't imagine anybody really only wanted to hear the positive stories in tennis, drug scandals, cat fights, dog fights, whos' dumping their coach next stuff all of that keeps it interesting and this message board is proof of that. Tennis popularity was at it's height in the 80's, because there was a variety of characters, you had your good guys, you had your funny guys and you had your villains. You also had rivalries were the guys really hated each other. A variety of players with personality were promoted then. Now a adays most of the players are a drones, everyting they say sounds like it's been programmed into them, no personality at all, Federer has no personality he just smiles all the time. And the players with personality are the ones that don't get much attention and then we wonder why tennis isn't popular in the US.

People watch sports to find players or teams  they can root for that they feel they can relate too or understand, we also watch sports to root against players or teams that we hate because they arouse some kind of feeling in us that we don't like, so we root against them. Talking only about one player isn't going to get people interested in tennis or even keep them interested in tennis. It's gets boring and people loose interest.  Talking about only the postive definately isn't going to get anyone interested in tennis. All the top players need to be promoted and talked about and personatily needs to be encouraged, and that will get more people into the game.

If you look at the women's game you'll see why it's more popular than the men's game. They promote a variety of players, you have your good girls, your mean girls, your diva's, glamour girls everything. That's why more people watch women's tennis then men's, The Williams brought peronality back into the game and people tuned in.And they either loved them or hated them but they still watch them and talked about them and the ratings went up. The ATP should learn from the WTA and then maybe Men's tennis will gain popularity. That won't happen just talking about Roger Federer all day.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 01:07:59 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Just my thoughts.... ;)

This world isn't all flowers and daisy's, talking about a vareity of people and things keep it interesting. I can't imagine anybody really only wanted to hear the positive stories in tennis, drug scandals, cat fights, dog fights, whos' dumping their coach next stuff all of that keeps it interesting and this message board is proof of that. Tennis popularity was at it's height in the 80's, because there was a variety of characters, you had your good guys, you had your funny guys and you had your villains. You also had rivalries were the guys really hated each other. A variety of players with personality were promoted then. Now a adays most of the players are a drones, everyting they say sounds like it's been programmed into them, no personality at all, Federer has no personality he just smiles all the time. And the players with personality are the ones that don't get much attention and then we wonder why tennis isn't popular in the US.

People watch sports to find players or teams  they can root for that they feel they can relate too or understand, we also watch sports to root against players or teams that we hate because they arouse some kind of feeling in us that we don't like, so we root against them. Talking only about one player isn't going to get people interested in tennis or even keep them interested in tennis. It's gets boring and people loose interest.  Talking about only the postive definately isn't going to get anyone interested in tennis. All the top players need to be promoted and talked about and personatily needs to be encouraged, and that will get more people into the game.

If you look at the women's game you'll see why it's more popular than the men's game. They promote a variety of players, you have your good girls, your mean girls, your diva's, glamour girls everything. That's why more people watch women's tennis then men's, The Williams brought peronality back into the game and people tuned in.And they either loved them or hated them but they still watch them and talked about them and the ratings went up. The ATP should learn from the WTA and then maybe Men's tennis will gain popularity. That won't happen just talking about Roger Federer all day.

You know Guest, you really ought to sign in so I can see if you are who I think you are. Anyway, well said.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 09:03:11 PM »
BBB -- go ahead and abuse those mod powers. Looks like the mystery man is Pacer. I could be wrong tho...

Anonymous

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2005, 02:15:26 AM »
Well, I don't have an account to sighn into. I never thought I needed one since you can post as a guest. My roommate told be about this site because he said the people are nicer here so I'm just checking out. I think he has an account but I don't know what his sighn in name is.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2005, 03:57:04 AM »
That doesn't sound like the type of reasoning Pacer possesses. If anything, he'd be all over Federer like Kittens. But I could be wrong too.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2005, 08:06:49 AM »
Well, I don't have an account to sighn into. I never thought I needed one since you can post as a guest. My roommate told be about this site because he said the people are nicer here so I'm just checking out. I think he has an account but I don't know what his sighn in name is.

Guest,

You are more than welcome to post here as a guest.  :)  If you ever choose to sign up, it only takes a few minutes.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2005, 08:50:44 AM »
Ooh, #1federer wants to start something.

Nah, don't want to start something.  It wasn't meant to be a shot at anyone, I was just kidding!

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2005, 09:24:53 AM »
Why, did you think I wanted to?  I ain't like that.

Anonymous

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2005, 11:57:26 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

Guest,

You are more than welcome to post here as a guest.  :)  If you ever choose to sign up, it only takes a few minutes.  :)

Oh ok, thanks tennis4you

Offline Purtyboy

• Tennis Player
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2005, 10:01:43 PM »
I voted yes now that I can.
Don't shoot the messenger. Though I can't promise I won't shoot you.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2005, 11:06:10 PM »
Why, did you think I wanted to?  I ain't like that.

Then you might not want to insult players who have some pretty diehard fans on here.  :)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2005, 12:59:22 PM »
Ratings for womens tennis are only higher in the U.S when one of the Williams is in a major final, or to a lesser extent Sharapova.    When none of those are in a major final, the ratings are almost lower than a mens final.    In most of the other areas of the World, from what I have gathered looking up information and what people from other areas have told me anyway, ratings are usually lower for womens than mens regardless who are in the finals.    So I dont agree in any way womens tennis is more popular or draws more ratings than mens tennis right now, that was a myth created by the U.S mass media at the height of their own interest when the teen squad first formed their group(Hingis, both Williams, Lucic, Kournikova, to a lesser extent Mauresmo, 98-2001)and during the Williams sisters dominance(2002-2003)and Capriati revival(2000-2001).