Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Where is Agassi?

(1/2) > >>

frankfontaine:
Is Andre playing? Doesn't look like he'll be the man at this years Aussie if he doesn't atleast warm up in some tournaments.

BitterBlueBong:
Right now he's at Gold Coast. I heard he played an exhibition match when one of the players withdrew.

An article:

Just one more slam - Agassi
06/01/2005 12:50**-*(SA)**

Related Articles
* Davis Cup door open for Agassi

* Agassi rolls back the years

Gold Coast - Andre Agassi says he wants one more grand slam title before he ends his glittering tennis career.

The 34-year-old American, who is only the fifth player to win all four grand slam titles, is here to have a crack at his fifth Australian Open title and a ninth grand slam win later this month.

Agassi made a surprise centre court appearance at the Gold Coast WTA event here on Thursday where he played Australian Scott Draper in an exhibition match.

The match came about after Russian top seed Nadia Petrova withdrew from her quarter-final with an injury against Italy's Silvia Farina Elia.

Agassi looked sharp and fit as he unveiled a more muscular physique much to the delight of the crowd.

"The second the hunger goes it's impossible (to compete)," he told the crowd.

"I'm 34 years old, going on 35 this year, and unless I'm working harder and am as eager as ever there's no chance.

"But I'm here with the intention of bringing my best and winning (the Australian Open) and that's what I'm shooting for."

Agassi has a tough task on the current men's tour against much younger rivals, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt.

The Australian Open gets underway in Melbourne on January 17.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1643748,00.html

Anonymous:
Andre usually warms up for the AO by playing Kooyong (exhibition) but no proper ATP tournaments.  This year is no different.

Anonymous:
Steffi is placing him in an assisted-care facility.

Tennis4you:
lol @ Guest.

Agassi always trains hard for this tournament.  He is probably fired up and ready.  His chances to win a slam decrease with every slam of every year.  This AO is the best chance he will ever have to win a slam again, IMHO.  I would looooooooooooooove to see an Agassi / Federer final and have to go 5 sets to the max.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version