Author Topic: Big Upset!  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Big Upset!
« on: January 07, 2005, 12:44:52 PM »
Dent took out Hewitt in straight sets today!  I would of never bet on Dent to win that match.  That has to be a blow to Hewitt's confidence.  I still hope he is in top notch mode at the AO, I want to see him do well.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Molik

• Tennis Player
Big Upset!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:34:18 PM »
That was a huge shock!!!!
I was really surprised, I never would have guessed that  :|

Offline Hoytie

• Tennis God
  • My British Blue Shorthair, Joshua, a Tennis Fan.
Big Upset!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 01:40:38 PM »
I was a bit surprised, too.  What's with the muscle shirt on Hewitt?  I guess now that he is 'unattached', he wants to show off his GQ body.  (Hee, Hee).

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Hewitt all mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 02:27:20 PM »
Does anyone else think that Hewitt is all mouth? For all his talk about being fitter than ever and trying to knock Federer off the top, he doesn't seem to be playing that well - he struggled past Clement as well. He's spent too much time complaining about the rebound ace surface rather than concentrating on tennis. Another loss like this in Sydney next week and his chances of going beyond the R16 of the AO for the first time will not be looking too good.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Big Upset!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 02:35:16 PM »
Who knows,  I was really hoping to see him play some great tennis.  I am always pumped when the top few are playing well, it just means when they clash the matches will be better.  

Molik - Welcome to the boards!
Scott Baker

Offline hummer23mm

• Tennis Addict
    • http://www.atptennis.com
Big Upset!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 08:23:37 PM »
hewitt is single?  waht??? waht about clysters?  tehy were gonna get married?  i didnt get the memo on this  :(
Mike

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Big Upset!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
Really?  She broke it off yo, mayhbe 2 months ago.  I will try to hunt down an article for you...
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Big Upset!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 09:06:40 PM »
Oh yeah, and she was kind enough to do it on the phone.  :)

By Jerry Magee
STAFF WRITER

October 24, 2004

Pleasant young woman from Belgium. Combative young man from Australia. Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt, together in a matrimonial game of mixed doubles.

Uh, call a let on that. Clijsters has broken off her engagement to Hewitt, which she announced on her Web site after advising her fiance by telephone that they were kaput.

Her decision has the tennis community all atwitter. Hewitt, meantime, is being said by Fox Sports Australia to be so upset that he has left the country for Paris, where he is to compete in the Tennis Masters Series/Paris, an indoor event scheduled to begin on Nov. 1.

Hewitt could not be reached. But Fox Sports Australia quoted "a friend of Hewitt" saying this of the tennis star:

"He's angry, embarrassed, devastated, distraught all that stuff. He's been kicked in the guts and he has been kicked in the guts internationally and embarrassingly. He had a few warning signs, but when it came, it came as a huge shock."

In announcing that she had broken off her relationship with Hewitt, 23, Clijsters, 21, did not detail a reason. "But we are hearing that there may have been some problems with his parents," said De Standaard, a Brussels-based publication.

Clijsters' father, Leo, once a leading soccer player in Belgium, told Fox Sports Australia, "It's private between Lleyton and Kim."

A source within the tennis community said the split was caused by differences between the Hewitt and Clijsters families concerning the arrangements for the couple's planned February wedding.

"His father, Glynn, is the strong person in his family and her mother, Els, is the strong person in hers," said the source. "The problem has not been with Kim and Lleyton, but with their families."

The tennis players, each formerly ranked No. 1 in the world, had planned to recite marriage vows both in his hometown, Adelaide, Australia, and in a Belgian chateau near the village of Opitter in northeast Belgium. Kim Clijsters' parents reside in Opitter and she has been building a home there.

There had been signs that the Clijsters-Hewitt relationship was unraveling. At Wimbledon, Clijsters did not sit with Hewitt's parents. According to reports from Belgium, she canceled her wedding dress weeks ago.

Nicky Vankets, the dress designer, said he had been aware for more than a week that there would be no wedding.

Fox Sports Australia said it had been advised by a second "friend of Hewitt" that he does not know if another person has been involved in the breakup. "But Lleyton certainly isn't seeing anyone," the friend said.

"There is no talk of Kim being involved with a third party," said De Standaard.

Hewitt and Clijsters met during the Australian Open in 2000 when Clijsters' sister, Elke, asked her to get Hewitt's autograph. They were engaged this year when he proposed while they were on a Sydney Harbor cruise.

Big number

Combined singles titles for Lleyton Hewitt (23) and Kim Clijsters (21).
Scott Baker

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Big Upset!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 09:58:33 PM »
An interesting article about the breakup of Kim and Lleyton.  I think they got engaged about a year ago but it seems by Wimbledon it may have started to unravel.  Ever before it was announced it was called off theyshe had told the dress maker not to go ahead a make the dress.  They just wanted to be sure it was right to call it off before making the announcement.  I had earlier heard there were problems the the arrangements.  Gladly it seems Kim was not pregnant by Lleyton.  I have also heard she may have wanted to call it off just to stop the publicity about the marrage from the press.  Instead she may even get married to Lleyton after all.  They might even do it in a small chapel that would be very private such as you have in Las Vegas in the US.  It would not even be announced in advance and you would hear it after the fact.  This is what I had heard last fall.  That is fall for the US.  It would be spring in Australia.