Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Hingis thinking of returning to the tour

(1/3) > >>

Tennis4you:
Interesting, if she does well in this tournament coming up she may try the WTA Tour again.  I would loooooooove to see her comeback and see how she does.  Even if it is just for dubs.  Her and Korunikova could get back together.  :)

BitterBlueBong:
Do you have an article on it? I know she played an exhibition doubles match and might be entering something early this year.

BitterBlueBong:
Here we go.

Return hinges on performance in Thailand

Reuters

LONDON -- Former world No. 1 Martina Hingis hinted she could return to the women's tour if she comes through a comeback tournament in Thailand this month unscathed.

The Swiss prodigy was forced to quit tennis in 2002 at age 22 with a foot injury.

On Friday, Hingis said she would use the Volvo Women's Open in Pattaya, starting Jan. 31, as a test of her fitness.

"The tournament is a test. I don't know how my body will react," she told Switzerland's Le Matin newspaper.

"I was a bit rusty, in the beginning, with some small pains in my calf at times. But that is part of the game.

"The state of my preparation is a question of mental preparation above all."

Master tactician Hingis, who at 16 became the youngest player to be crowned world No. 1, was given a wild card into the Pattaya tournament as part of her charity work in the region, and its low-key status suits her fine.

"I support several charities in Thailand. I'm also playing to see where I am," Hingis, the winner of five Grand Slam titles, said.

"At Pattaya there will not be as many people and the players are ranked between 30th and 95th in the world."

Tennis4you:
Excellent, thx!

kittens25:
I think it would be very tough for her.    I dont want to sound like tennis is becoming only a power battle, but power is such a prominent part of it all now.    Justine Henin, to my mind, has just the minimum amount of power neccessary to have a chance to win slams, just barely reaches the required point of power.    Yet Justine hits so much harder than Martina IMHO.    I have always enjoyed watching Martina play but never again would she enjoy holding trophies if she came back.   Just my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version