Author Topic: Hingis thinking of returning to the tour  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Hingis thinking of returning to the tour
« on: January 07, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »
Interesting, if she does well in this tournament coming up she may try the WTA Tour again.  I would loooooooove to see her comeback and see how she does.  Even if it is just for dubs.  Her and Korunikova could get back together.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:21:12 PM »
Do you have an article on it? I know she played an exhibition doubles match and might be entering something early this year.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 01:49:30 PM »
Here we go.

Return hinges on performance in Thailand

Reuters

LONDON -- Former world No. 1 Martina Hingis hinted she could return to the women's tour if she comes through a comeback tournament in Thailand this month unscathed.

The Swiss prodigy was forced to quit tennis in 2002 at age 22 with a foot injury.

On Friday, Hingis said she would use the Volvo Women's Open in Pattaya, starting Jan. 31, as a test of her fitness.

"The tournament is a test. I don't know how my body will react," she told Switzerland's Le Matin newspaper.

"I was a bit rusty, in the beginning, with some small pains in my calf at times. But that is part of the game.

"The state of my preparation is a question of mental preparation above all."

Master tactician Hingis, who at 16 became the youngest player to be crowned world No. 1, was given a wild card into the Pattaya tournament as part of her charity work in the region, and its low-key status suits her fine.

"I support several charities in Thailand. I'm also playing to see where I am," Hingis, the winner of five Grand Slam titles, said.

"At Pattaya there will not be as many people and the players are ranked between 30th and 95th in the world."

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 02:35:42 PM »
Excellent, thx!
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »
I think it would be very tough for her.    I dont want to sound like tennis is becoming only a power battle, but power is such a prominent part of it all now.    Justine Henin, to my mind, has just the minimum amount of power neccessary to have a chance to win slams, just barely reaches the required point of power.    Yet Justine hits so much harder than Martina IMHO.    I have always enjoyed watching Martina play but never again would she enjoy holding trophies if she came back.   Just my opinion.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 03:05:39 PM »
I think Myskina is similar to Hingis.  But I think Hingis was a smarter player.  I think she will do ok, I see ti being similar to a Seles comeback.  Lots of quarter finals and semis of slams, but no trophies.  I would still like to see her comeback.  And play dubs too!
Scott Baker

Offline hummer23mm

• Tennis Addict
    • http://www.atptennis.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »
kournikova better take off that ring and pick up her racuqet, cause she and hingis are gonna be awsome together!!!!

http://www.poster.net/hingis-martina/hingis-martina-photo-martina-hingis-and-anna-kournikova-6200769.jpg

sigh . . .  :)
Mike

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 04:39:35 PM »
You definetely have to admit it sucks not having them play together.  They were good.
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 04:48:59 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I think Myskina is similar to Hingis.  But I think Hingis was a smarter player.  I think she will do ok, I see ti being similar to a Seles comeback.  Lots of quarter finals and semis of slams, but no trophies.  I would still like to see her comeback.  And play dubs too!

Well I personally feel Myskina's groundstrokes are a couple notches
more powerful than Hingis's, and while Hingis's movement was very good, Myskina's is a little better in that department too.   I agree they are similar
and Hingis has the better mind in almost every way, strategy, toughness, nerve, etc....However my belief is Myskina is still the one better equipped to compete in todays game, given what is effective and important today.

Also I doubt Myskina to maintain, let alone better her success of this year.    I could see her possably never winning another slam, or if she does only 1 or 2 more.   I doubt her ever getting to #1, this year was her best chance, and she stumbled somewhat at it.    She benefitted this year from so many top players being ill, injured, lacking motivation, lacking nerve, lacking form, not to take anything away from her great year, but I think it will be a highlight year in her career.

I do agree with you though that Hingis could make semis or quarters again.   She could be of similar level to Seles of 97-2002.

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 05:02:21 PM »
Myskina and Hingis probably have similar movement, but Hingis anticipated better than anyone I have ever seen.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 05:05:58 PM »
Quote from: "kittens25"

Well I personally feel Myskina's groundstrokes are a couple notches
more powerful than Hingis's, and while Hingis's movement was very good, Myskina's is a little better in that department too.   I agree they are similar
and Hingis has the better mind in almost every way, strategy, toughness, nerve, etc....However my belief is Myskina is still the one better equipped to compete in todays game, given what is effective and important today.

Also I doubt Myskina to maintain, let alone better her success of this year.    I could see her possably never winning another slam, or if she does only 1 or 2 more.   I doubt her ever getting to #1, this year was her best chance, and she stumbled somewhat at it.    She benefitted this year from so many top players being ill, injured, lacking motivation, lacking nerve, lacking form, not to take anything away from her great year, but I think it will be a highlight year in her career.

I do agree with you though that Hingis could make semis or quarters again.   She could be of similar level to Seles of 97-2002.

Hingis did have very nice anticiaption. Why isn't the quote function working when Kitten uses it for a reply? grrrrrrrr
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 06:00:15 PM »
Also I doubt Myskina to maintain, let alone better her success of this year. I could see her possably never winning another slam, or if she does only 1 or 2 more.

I have to agree. I've never really been impressed with Myskina. I know, I know, she won the French, but her game just lacks something to me. However, she is fun to watch and I wish her well.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »
I just like to watch her cuss at people  :)~

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 09:50:37 PM »
lol
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 01:04:52 AM »
As I get older I appreciate what people did at young ages more.  

Hingis won the French Open Juniors at age 12!!!  She won her first Grand Slam title, Wimbledon women's doubles, at age 15, and from the footage they were showing she was dominating play.