Author Topic: Federer in the finals...  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Princess

• Tennis Player
Federer in the finals...
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 12:21:27 AM »
I, too want Federer to dominate this year.  But it's for selfish reasons.  If he goes for the grand slam at the USO, the attention it will garner for tennis in the USA would be great.  Tennis is treated so second class, we need something to spring board the game in this country.  The WS were doing that until their injuries.  No one in this country cared much about the Belgian rivalry.  Russians winning-who cares.  Even Maria isn't the well received in this country.   Anyone notice the lack of fan support for her at the USO and YEC last year?

We need something to get tennis on the front page.  At least the front page of the sports section.  As much as I would like to see Andy win, unless he wins a grand slam-and we know that will never happen- he won't get front page.  

One thing that I noticed, even though tennis doesn't get much attention, if you read People, Star etc, you are more likely to see tennis stars than any other athlete.  Wonder why that is if the sport is treated so second class.  There are cable channels for almost every sport on my cable provider, but they won't get the tennis channel.

I guess, I'm just venting.  See you later.
Venus Rules: she'll prove it in '05