Author Topic: Venus loses bad!  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« on: January 08, 2005, 08:02:44 AM »
I am suprised that Dementieva beat Venus so badly.  Venus said she hit 4-5 errors per game.  Boy, I have been there too!  Anyone know the stats of the match?   Not a good match for Venus.  Disappointing...

Dementieva prevails in Hong Kong  

Latest results  
Elena Dementieva swept aside defending champion Venus Williams 6-3 6-2 to win Hong Kong's Champions Challenge event.
The Russian, ranked sixth in the world, broke Williams three times in the first set, while losing her service once.

Williams saved three championship points before losing the match at the Victoria Park tennis court.

"It's really a great start to the year no matter whether it's an exhibition or not. I was trying to play my best and I really did it," said Dementieva.

"This will give me all the confidence before the Grand Slams. I was trying so hard to win this tournament."

Williams, 24, was disappointed with her display.

"She played some nice points, but it was mostly me committing unforced errors - four or five errors in each game," she said.

Before the match, organizers auctioned off rackets belonging to the players, raising 115,000 for victims of the tsunami disaster.

Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 08:36:21 AM »
Ugh.  Say it isn't so.  Venus, why did you have to make an excuse like your sister???  

Yeah, stop the presses, if you make no unforced errors you'll probably never lose.  Get over it, Williamses.  You two are not unbeatable.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 08:39:06 AM »
Thye used to completely dictate play, so if the unforced errors creep up I actually feel it is on them.  Of coarse that was when they were playing well and thew competition was not as good.
Scott Baker

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 09:19:28 AM »
All I got to say is  BAAAAAAM
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 09:33:45 AM »
Oh well

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 10:49:59 AM »
Well they never played optimally low-error tennis.  Obviously when they dominated they had to contain them somewhat but they never had pratically error-free matches even when they dominated.   Against top players they usually had more errors, but enough edge in winners and forced errors, plus winning the big points, it didnt cost them matches.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 10:51:18 AM »
True...  I wish they could gte back in form and make tennis more competitive at the top.  Even at their best they would be having tremendous matches with the top players.

Welcome to the boards Kittens!!!
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »
Shame on Scott for a creating a new topic...all this should be in the Watsons Water Challange thread.  :)~

Anyway, can't say I'm totally surprised by the result. You can tell things are off for Venus when she starts losing to people in straight sets. But such is life. Hopefully she's picked up a few things that she can take to Melbourne. As for her errors, she's right. I watched the match on the live webcam and she missed some shots that any top player should have made. She had the habit of not moving forward on the groundstrokes (i.e. hitting on the backfoot), and entirely too many forehands into the net.

In related news, Venus and Serena def. Kuznetsova/Sanchez-Vicario 6-4, 6-0.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »
lol, at least they won a dubs match.  I will try to keep my posts more organized, I feel so ashamed...   ;>)
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 04:26:31 PM »
Dangit Venus...

It was a surprisingly disappointing loss. Maybe that leg of hers that was wrapped up really was bothering her more than we knew. If not...
Dementieva beat arguably one of the most 'on' players on tour, Sharapova. She had to be playing amazing tennis and maybe she just brought it to Venus and she couldnt handle it.

Nevertheless, it was a good warmup for Venus. I hope she takes some confidence and personaly tips of her own to add to her game for AO!

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 04:52:44 PM »
Maybe that leg of hers that was wrapped up really was bothering her more than we knew.

Funnily enough, near the end, she took off the wrap. I wonder why.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
Awww man, how do you know that?  Did you see the match?  How come I am seeing no tennis on tv!!!???!!!
Scott Baker

Offline Sebastien447

• Tennis Player
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 05:28:05 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
How come I am seeing no tennis on tv!!!???!!!

ESPN is too busy showing the great sport of POKER!  :|

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 06:45:06 PM »
It was broadcasted over a live webcam, Scott.

And I interpretted that as the shoddiness of the wrap irritating her more than it was helping...

tenista

poor venus
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 06:54:26 PM »
It's not as if she's won a tournament lately. Why does she keep talking as if she's expected to win?

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 07:12:39 PM »
^  I know.  And like somebody already pointed out, it's not like the Williams sisters were ever known for playing high percentage tennis.  They would win matches even after committing a super high number of unforced errors...

But they need to be gracious winners.  Being a gracious winner means playing the second set with diarrhea but not having to mention it at the press conference.  I mean, I like it when players are controversial and say candid things, it certainly makes the game more interesting.  But with the Williams sister the excuse making is chronic, and it's becoming annoying.  To me, anyways.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »
She has been training and playing.  I think she just needs confidence again.  

BTW - welcome to the boards Tenista!
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 07:23:11 PM »
I take it back.  Even though it's annoying, I hope Venus and Serena keep making lame excuses.  It's the closest thing to a personality we have going in tennis right now.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »
lol, that is pretty much true.  Tennis needs those great rivalries and emotional and out-going players to draw some extra attention.
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »
Venus had reason to complain about crappy playing. She trained hard and despite her usual low percentage game, I'm sure she expected all of that to pay off more than it did in that final match. Not that it didnt the rest of the tournament, she did gr8.

Despite her excuses, Venus did good this tournament. I think she should be happy and take the confidence she got.