Author Topic: Venus loses bad!  (Read 5832 times)

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 07:36:22 PM »
Did she only win one match in singles?  I know she lost 2 matches...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 08:13:18 PM »
She won two singles matches. She beat Zvonareva in a very close match, three sets -- 6-2, 4-6, 7-5. Then she beat Kuznetsova 5-7 6-2 7-6.

As you can see, very good playing from Venus. So coming up short with a 6-3 6-2 loss to Dementeiva didnt even seem like the same person playing.
That's why I assumed the leg bothered her.

Never the less, she did gr8. Look 4ward to seeing her at the AO.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 10:25:06 PM »
How much do we really need to hear about Venus and Serena not being gracious? Didn't we run that whole topic in the ground three or four years ago? And really, the fact is she lost. I don't see why her comments are important anyway.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 01:07:11 AM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
How much do we really need to hear about Venus and Serena not being gracious? Didn't we run that whole topic in the ground three or four years ago? And really, the fact is she lost. I don't see why her comments are important anyway.
I've also been one of the Williams sisters' biggest supporters on these boards, but, unfortunately, their chronic excuse making is a prominent feature of their tennis personalities.  If their good deeds are worth talking about then why not their questionable ones?  I'm not here to do PR work for them.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 08:15:43 AM »
But that isn't really questionable, nor is it something new. As one of their biggest supporters on the board, surely you're used to it by now.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 08:22:45 AM »
But I do not think he is complaining about it, just gives him something to talk about.  I think their comments are interesting when they lose.  It is definitely interesting to hear them talk about their errors and how they felt they played compared to how they felt they should have done.  I think it is very interesting to hear them and compare it to 4 - 5 years ago.

Although I was very impressed the way they BOTH handled getting boned this year on calls with bad umpires...  Something just wasn't right about all of that.  I would of lost it, they stayed cooooool.
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 08:27:41 AM »
I didn't say he was complaining. I just thought I had escaped the issue years ago. I didn't bother bringing up the grand slam controversies in 2004 because I'm sure MC knows they were gracious in those instances -- plus this isn't going to turn into an argument. It's not worth that much.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 08:40:14 AM »
I agree, plus, we really do not argue here.  :)

But escaping something years ago?  They keep making coments and it keeps giving us something to talk about.  McIll and I are both big supporters.  I would love to see Serena smack the competition down and take home the "Serena Slam" again.  It would do wonders for Venus to take home another slam trophy, she needs the confidence again.  This AO will have some doors open for them with Henin out.  Just one less person to worry about.

Even if they were gracious in their post-interviews, we would still talk about it.  :)
Scott Baker

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
On a side note, does anyone know if Serena or Venus are playing any tournaments this week?
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005, 10:42:07 AM »
It's strange.  The times they've gotten royally screwed, they've responded like SAINTS.  A part of me wishes they were angrier.  I think Justine got off easy.  

And then when they lose without having gotten royally screwed, Serena especially tends to say some crazy stuff.  

Still, I admit they've gotten a lot better.  I'm just sort of surprised because I thought Venus had outgrown the excuse making, but, like I said, it makes the game more interesting so whatever.   :uh:

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2005, 10:43:57 AM »
plllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I am almost 30 and still make excuses   :Bleh:
Scott Baker

Bitter Blue Bong

Venus loses bad!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2005, 12:16:25 PM »
I was going to leave this alone, but...

But escaping something years ago?  They keep making coments and it keeps giving us something to talk about.

How often do you actually discuss Venus and Serena quotes?

McIll and I are both big supporters.  

It wouldn't matter if you weren't.

Even if they were gracious in their post-interviews, we would still talk about it.  

And when was the last time you did that?

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2005, 01:35:26 PM »
We talk about quotes from all players if they are interesting enough.  Why would we leave out the 2 most popular players on the WTA tour?

When was the last time?  When they got screwed...  They haven't played much since.  :)

And a quick side note, I do not know if the above message was from BBB or not, it was not his typical IP address and he was not logged in.
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2005, 02:36:41 PM »
It was me, but I wasn't at home.

When was the last time?  When they got screwed...  They haven't played much since.  :)

Exactly. So when I read something like:

They keep making coments

...it makes me wonder where all the recent comments are coming from.  But no need to clarify. Have at it. Talk about them and their ungracious selves until you're blue in the face. I'm sure they'll give you more to discuss in the upcoming year.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2005, 02:41:01 PM »
I will just assume you are the red balloon and move on.  Hopefully no feelings are hurt.
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
There are various balloons for a reason :)

To answer your question, neither sister has any tournament planned before the Australian Open.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2005, 03:00:46 PM »
:)
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 09:47:36 AM »
Come on.  The Williams sisters making lame excuses is a legitimate topic for a tennis message board.  I think it's been mentioned about 3 times in the Mailbag the past 10 months.  

If for some reason you take it personally, you really shouldn't.  The Williams sisters are only human.  They do stupid things as we all do.  Except their the biggest names in tennis, so their stupid actions get a lot more attention than ours.

Long live Serena and Venus.

With that said, if either of them make it even to the semis it'll be a successful Aussie Open for them.  I wish Serena would realize that she has the tools to win Grand Slams like mad, and would dedicate herself more to tennis.  I mean, I respect and understand the fact that they wish to lead well rounded lives, but I can't help but feel that she's going to eventually regret having squandered so much ability.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Venus loses bad!
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2005, 12:12:41 PM »
LOL, MC, you missed the boat about a day ago. I really find it funny that both of you implied that I'm taking it personally -- I'm just tired of hearing about that particular gripe (regardless of what "journalist" has mentioned it lately). If that's taking it personally, so be it. Please carry on. Go Venus, go Serena.  :)

Anonymous

Venus loses bad!
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 03:47:09 PM »
While some, including myself I admit, often are critical of the Williams for their lack of graciousness in defeat, perhaps they feel it is easier just to tell the truth.   I mean think of the complications when an athletes says somebody else is really great, when they are really not, saying that they are not that unbelievable, when they really are, and eventually it just looks phony.   It sometimes gets to the point somebody is beating somebody 11 times in a row at something, and the victor says, "I dont really think I am that outstanding or anything", "they are such an incredable athlete/opponent".    It gets to the point it just does not add up.