Author Topic: Complaints about the Tennis Channel.  (Read 4250 times)

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Complaints about the Tennis Channel.
« on: January 08, 2005, 08:35:58 AM »
You have heard about all the complaints of not being able to get the tennis channel and the fact the European Masters series was moved from ESPN to the tennic channel.  At least the Tennis Channel did provide much better coverage.  It was complete and live with repeats for those who don't like to get up so early for the first maches.  The ESPN coverage was almost always taped in later years except for a few night matches that just happened to feature US playes that you wanted to see.   These would be the same players that ESPN would repeat at Wimbledon and the French Open so many times.  In earlier years you got a live a repeat showing on ESPN.  On the other hand when the Golf channel started up they had only tournaments that hadn't been seen at all or seen in recent years.  The only exception were a few BBC produced European events that were on a same day time on Prime.  However Prime at least replaced these events with Hooters tour events that are two steps below the PGA.  When Prime was sold to FOX they dropped the Hooters tour and replaced them with taped coverage of events from Perth and Sun City, South Africa.  These went to the golf channel along with the senior toue but not before most cable systems had the golf channel.   When Speedvision and now Speed channel first went on the air F! was moved from ESPN and ESPN2 to Speed but at least they allowed FOX Sprorts Net station to have it at 10:00 AM local time on tape for some time for envets from Europe.  Others wound in fact be live on both channels.   When Cartoon Network first came on cartoons continued on TNT, TBS, and USA for several years before they were dropped since they were the same ones that are now seen on Cartoon Network.  Whe the Game Show netowrk now GSN first started game shows continued on USA for a few years before they were drooped since the USA reruns were the same ones on GSN.  This is what should have happened with the Tennis Channel. They could have had the live showings and ESPN had the taped repeats.

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 09:36:18 AM »
I would agree, ESPN should show us something, taped or not.  I wish I had the money to get the tennis channel

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 10:27:33 AM »
When all the other new cable channels first started up they made sure you could see the other programs at first on the channels they have used to be on.   Prime at least replaced the BBC golf tournaments with Hooters tour when they went to the golf channel.   You still can't get the tennis channel on Direct TV and Dish network so if I want it I will have to get a large dish or move from Mesz, Arizona to Palm Springs area of California.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 10:53:40 AM »
lol, moving sounds like fun.  I am in Ohio.  I like it here until the winter.  AZ is nice, I was out there a year ago.  My lips got chapped in 1 day, I wasn't expecting that!  Good thing for chap stick!  I was out there in October for some tennis.  I enjoyed it.  It was Tuscan.  (Did I spell that right?)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 11:46:56 AM »
It is spelled Tucson.   Were you in Tucson in October 2003?  That was one of the hottest Octobers in the Phoenix area.  That year they had the latest triple digit temperatures which was 100 on October 23 in Phoenix.  There were record high temperatures for seven day in a row.   In fact most everybody in the US had warm weather.  Then there were major fires in the San Diego area.  The Monday night football game had to be moved from San Diego to where the Arizona Cadnicals play.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 12:07:58 PM »
daaaaaaaaaaang that is hot.  I do not remember the exact date.  It was the 2003 USTA Nationals.  It was hot as crazy though.  My first match @ 1:00 in the afternoon made my legs feel like jello.
Scott Baker

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 03:33:25 PM »
At least when you played in the USTA Nationals you had dry weather.  I have never seen the USTA Nationals on TV it seems.  Is it held every year in the fall.  I know at that time the men are playing in Madrid for the European Masters and I can't see it because it is on the tennis channel.  That hot week in the Phoenix area in 2003 was at the same time as the World Series was being played and on Tuesday night they even had a 40 minute rain delay in Flroida that year.   They probably didn's realize it was going to be so hot that year.  Maybe the site rotates every year.  They probably could have had the USTA farther north that year.

tenista

tennis channel
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 06:57:57 PM »
Tennis is played competitively in more countries around the world than any other sport. Unfortunately, the US is slow to catch on. We can only hope that things change -- and the Tennis Channel is doing a crummy job of marketing, which doesn't help.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 07:11:17 PM »
I didn't see any cameras at Nationals.  It was for 4.0, so I doubt anyone cares...  I play 4.5 now, but will not be making Nationals any time soon.  Everyone at Nationals was 4.5, it was tough...  It was definetly dry though, but hot as hell.  What shocked me that my 1:00 match was a scortcher, but the 6:00 the same day was extremely cool.  Temperature changes very quickly there.

Tenista - I really have not seen any advertising for the Tennis Channel other than on some of the TVs at Best Buy when I go to buy electronics.  It is always on their TVs for some reason...  You are right though, little advertising...
Scott Baker

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 08:12:28 PM »
The tennis channel is on VOOM which is an HD satelite service only.  That is why you see it at the stores.   It is owned by the Dish network but the Dish network doesn't have the tennis channel.   I have Direct TV and they told me they are running out of space on the satlelite so they don't want to add it.  They do have a muti satelite dish that can pick up threee satelites.  There is the main one for most uses that uses a single satelite dish where most programs are located.   The other two are used for foreign language programs other than two Spanish language on the main one that have been around for quite some time.  Then another one is used for the newer local stations and the few HD channels they have.  By the end of 2006 or when 85% have HD TV all TV will be HD and then your presnet analogue TV will join the pre-war FM radios in becoming obsolete.  You will be able to get a converter for your present TV for awhile but it won't be HD just like you could get converters for you pre-war FM radios after the war.  The band was changed from 42-50 to 88-108 MHZ shortly after World War 2.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 10:34:55 PM »
By the end of 2006 or when 85% have HD TV all TV will be HD and then your presnet analogue TV will join the pre-war FM radios in becoming obsolete.

I remember seeing a presentation on HDTV back in 2001, and the presenter claimed it would become the rage in years to come. It's almost four years later and I really haven't seen much of a difference for the average television viewer -- certainly more programs are in HD now but are more viewers/consumers catching on? Or are there any figures for that?

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 11:16:39 PM »
I like what I've seen from the tennis channel but they've done a bad job of marketing the network.  If you go out of the US and watch grand slams on say Star Sports, any other international channel, they actually show the best matchups instead of the same match over and over again like ESPN.

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 08:51:59 AM »
When you have the Grand Slams ESPN does sometiems show the same match over and over again but that can be caused by rain delays.   Also ESPN has a prime time repeat telecast of the French Open and Wimbledon.  Also thier daytime show on some days which starts when play begins at Wimbledon and three hours after play begins at the French Open will last past the time that any play would be possible because it would be dark there and they have no lights.  Therefore those matchs would have to be on tape.  They will then often repeat the best match.  Sometimes ESPN will do a live match and at the same time tape another match on another court and when it rains you will see that match up to the point of the rain delay.  It is at the French Open you are more likely to see a match on tape while another match is in progress because of the earlier start of play.  Also the have the defending champs start play of the show courts when the first match begins which is three hours before ESPN comes on the air.  That will often be one ESPN wants to show so they will show it on tape at first and then see how play developes before deciding what to show next which might be live or tape. ad  Since ESPN2 resumed the Frcnch Open in 2002 and Wimbledon in 2003 you have also had the World Cup Soccer affect the telecast times.   In 2002 most World Cup soccer matches started at 2:30, 5:00 and 7:30 AM EDT from Japan and Korea.  That year the first four days of the French Open the telecast started at the normal 8:00 AM EDT.  Then on Friday May 31 the telecast time had to be later at 9:30 EDT to allow the World Cup match to end when the World Cup started.  Since France was in that match they said that many fans did not show up until after the World cup match ended when ESPN2 came on the air.  As a result the best matches were not scheduled until after 3:30 PM local time to give the fans a better chance of seeing the match.  As a result you saw live actions rather than taped matches that were played earlier because those had little interest.   Wimbledon will still on TNT.  in 2006 World Cup matches may be more of an issue for ESPN, ESPN2 with telecasts of the French Open and Wimbledon since the World Cup will be played in the same time zone as France.  World Cup matches will most likely will start at 8:30 AM EDT with the final one starting at 3:00 PM EDT if it is like 1998 when it was last played in the same time zone as France with another in between.  In 1986 Mexico had had the World Cup so only the first matches of the day would have been an issue with the French Open when ESPN had both but they didn't show all the matches and none while the World Cup was on.   Univision had those in Spanish.  In 1990 TNT had the Word Cup when it was in Italy so no problems that year.   In 1994 the USA hosted the World Cup and USA network had the French Open and HBO hWimbledon.  Thus ESPN could show the first Word Cup match of the day with no problems.   2006 wll be the intersteresting year when World Cup conflicts may occur with the Grans slams.

Offline dAgEnIuS

• Tennis Player
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 01:11:28 PM »
does anybody know how much tennis channel costs???
i don't have cable, so i don't even get espn...  ;>)  ;>)

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 01:16:04 PM »
Very few cable systems have the tennis channel but if they do it may be part of the basic tear and more likely part of the digital tear since the newer channels are there.  Dish network and Direct TV don't have it and VOOM which is HD only has it.  If you have a large dish you can get the tennis channel but it don't know the cost.  I did hear they were offering it unscrambled at first to drum up support so it might then be free.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 03:08:35 PM »
Dagneus, no ESPN, that has to hurt!  I cannot wait until the tournaments can shows all the major courts on their websites.  Allow me to click to the courts and watch what I want to.  I would pay a service for that for the slams.  Not much though...  $10.00 - $20.00 per slam?  The tennis channel is cheaper though.
Scott Baker

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 04:25:55 PM »
There is a service in France that lets you choose which court to watch on TV which is PPV for the French Open.  The cost is about $5.00 a day and $30 for the whole tournament.  It almost has to be PPV because when the players change sides when you would normlly get a commercial people would switch courts and never watch the commercials.    You can with the website get up to date scores on each court as they are being played for free.  Some even have pictures but you need high speed internet to use the service and it is free.   This is just what you get with the NFL Sunday Ticket when you can switch games at will even today.  Some have even suggested such as service for the Davis Cup when up to eight matches would be played in the World Group during the first round.   Since most of those in in the Central Europen time zone many would be going on at once where you would switch back and forth.  The first of the day might be in Australia and then Europe.  Then would come Brazil and Argentina.  Finally the US would be last assuming they were hosting matches.   Of course the night matches in Australia could be overlapping the day matches in Europe.  The end of the matches in Europe could be overlappinh those in the US.  Also the end of the US matches could be overlapping the next day in Australia.  At present we only have the tennis channel and ESPN to switch back and forth for Davis Cup.  Such a Davis Cup service would most likely be PPV.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 04:36:52 PM »
Interesting.  I still think they will be able to do it onthe internet someday.  I am not sure how people are connecting outside of the US, but I know broadband is becoming more affordable here and many have it, including myself.
Scott Baker

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »
In fact the Internet may be the way to go with tennis and if enough have broadband high speed internet you may get most of you matches by Internet and you will not have the problems have having to get a large dish for the Tennis Channel or moving to a place that has a cable system that carries the Tennis Channel. Then the tennis channel might even go out of business.   Many appartments and condos that are single story will let you put up a small dish on the roof such as where I live at present.  Before I lived where I live now I lived three miles farther west in a three story condo and some residents that lived on the south side did have a small dish.  However I lived on the first floor on the north side and I don't think I could have had a small dish.  I don't think you could put up a large satelite dish in a condo because the HOA would not allow it.   There is radio.com that has audio coverage of some tennis matches which many times are differenet than what you get on TV.

Offline tennisgeek

• Tennis Player
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 04:45:14 AM »
I am from the detroit area and I called my local cable provider to see if they can start showing the tennis network. I was told by the customer rep they have a request list for new channels and if there is a enough demand for a new channel it will be provided. So far it is only a request. :(