Author Topic: Complaints about the Tennis Channel.  (Read 4026 times)

Offline rhubarb

• Tennis Addict
Complaints about the Tennis Channel.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 06:51:58 AM »
It would be great to have more matches on the internet, gary, but unfortunately very few tournaments offer this, usually because they've sold their TV rights to companies who want folks to pay to see the coverage.

The Grand Slams have started to offer internet video broadcasts (although I'm not sure whether they are live), for a nominal fee.   I wouldn't be surprised if the men's masters' series follow this eventually, although they don't seem to have the same level of technology that the ITF does with IBM.

There are a couple of tournaments that do offer free broadcasts.  One is Rotterdam, which is coming up a couple of weeks after the AO; another is Kitzbuehel (in fact all Austrian men's tournaments: Kitz, Vienna and St Poelten are covered live on tw1.at), and for those in the UK, the BBC offers Queen's (and possibly Eastbourne?) live on their website.  

If anyone knows of any others, post them here :)

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 07:56:54 AM »
I do remember the NCAA championship tournamens in the spring offered Internet servoce on radiotennis.com it seemed.  At one time the finals were live on ESPN but no more.  In fact it is now a best of seven match setup in the finals and they all go on at once.  The tennis channel also offerers coverage but it is not live and that is why radiotennis.com offers it live.  However if the tennis channel goes out of business then those may all get live Internet service that are on the tennis channel.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 08:02:06 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the internet will evolve and what will become easier and easier for compaines to do.  Like show tennis matches online.  I say in another 5 years there will be a lot more options than there are now.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »
I feel Internet tennis may be the way to go in the future.  In fact if the tennis channel goes out of business their matches may go online and you will be able to select the tournament and court of what you want to see.  At least you will be able to get them.  In fact Direct TV has high speed Internet as well as Cox cable and many other leading cable companies.  I would be able to get the tennis matches right where I live now in Mesa rather than have to get a large dish to get the tennis channel or move to the Palm Springs area which seems to be the nearest town that has the tennis channel on cable.