Author Topic: Where is Agassi?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Where is Agassi?
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:37:22 PM »
Is Andre playing? Doesn't look like he'll be the man at this years Aussie if he doesn't atleast warm up in some tournaments.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Where is Agassi?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:55:12 PM »
Right now he's at Gold Coast. I heard he played an exhibition match when one of the players withdrew.

An article:

Just one more slam - Agassi
06/01/2005 12:50**-*(SA)**

Related Articles
* Davis Cup door open for Agassi

* Agassi rolls back the years

Gold Coast - Andre Agassi says he wants one more grand slam title before he ends his glittering tennis career.

The 34-year-old American, who is only the fifth player to win all four grand slam titles, is here to have a crack at his fifth Australian Open title and a ninth grand slam win later this month.

Agassi made a surprise centre court appearance at the Gold Coast WTA event here on Thursday where he played Australian Scott Draper in an exhibition match.

The match came about after Russian top seed Nadia Petrova withdrew from her quarter-final with an injury against Italy's Silvia Farina Elia.

Agassi looked sharp and fit as he unveiled a more muscular physique much to the delight of the crowd.

"The second the hunger goes it's impossible (to compete)," he told the crowd.

"I'm 34 years old, going on 35 this year, and unless I'm working harder and am as eager as ever there's no chance.

"But I'm here with the intention of bringing my best and winning (the Australian Open) and that's what I'm shooting for."

Agassi has a tough task on the current men's tour against much younger rivals, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt.

The Australian Open gets underway in Melbourne on January 17.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1643748,00.html

Anonymous

Where is Agassi?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 03:26:49 AM »
Andre usually warms up for the AO by playing Kooyong (exhibition) but no proper ATP tournaments.  This year is no different.

Anonymous

andre the ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 06:35:47 PM »
Steffi is placing him in an assisted-care facility.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Where is Agassi?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 07:24:33 PM »
lol @ Guest.

Agassi always trains hard for this tournament.  He is probably fired up and ready.  His chances to win a slam decrease with every slam of every year.  This AO is the best chance he will ever have to win a slam again, IMHO.  I would looooooooooooooove to see an Agassi / Federer final and have to go 5 sets to the max.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Where is Agassi?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 07:30:08 PM »
The great thing about Agassi's game is that it's high percentage, low maintenance, and predictably efficient.

The bad thing about Agassi's game is that it's high percentage, low maintenance, and predictably efficient.  Agassi tries to impose play by controlling the center and working the opponent with relentless court court shots.  But if his opponent can change the direction of the ball well that day and crank down the line off Andre's cross court shot, he's toast.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Where is Agassi?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 10:31:23 PM »
Quote from: "MC ill Logic"
 But if his opponent can change the direction of the ball well that day and crank down the line off Andre's cross court shot, he's toast.

That's what I enjoyed about Federer/Agassi at the U.S. Open (though I thought the heavy winds would have worked more in Agassi's favor).

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Where is Agassi?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 07:40:49 AM »
They worked in his favor big time.  Agassi has always been known as a great wind player.  I guess it is windy in Las Vegas where he grew up?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Where is Agassi?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 08:49:48 AM »
Agassi vs Federer Aussie Open final would be a dream final.  A true changing of the guards.

I think Andre would beat Federer at the Aussie Open in a final match.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I think he would have done it last year if it wasn't for Safin getting in the way.

We should not use the USOpen as a gauge for Andre vs Federer.  Andre couldn't beat Pete at the USOpen but he had the edge at the Aussie and beat him both times.

Lets pray that the draw puts them on opposite sides.  I highly doubt it will, but you can only wish.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Agassi
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »
Agassi is even more vulnerable to the down the line backhand than ever before because a recurring hip problem sometimes restricts his moverment to the right, something Safin, Coria and Nalbandian have exploited in their matches against him. If it wasn't for the backhands down the line, Agassi would have beaten Safin because these shots were a constant source of points for Safin. In fact, even Agassi's father has advised him about this problem, telling his son to go for the backhand down the line himself, but earlier in the rally, his son's respone was ' yeah, but that's not easy you know'. I read this is an interview with Mike Agassi.