Author Topic: Need racket recommendation  (Read 2952 times)

xixxix

Need racket recommendation
« on: December 02, 2005, 12:32:27 PM »
I need a racket recommendation that will last me.  Highschool varsity player, 4 yrs experience, 6'2''.  I can hit very hard so I don't want a power racket.  As a matter of fact, want something that will help me hit a little more consistent and in bounds.

Have used:
Prince More Control DB MP: Really liked this racket but broke 3 frames without even dropping them once.

Head Liquidmetal Radical OS: Didn't really like it too much but wasn't terrible.

Head Liquidmetal 4 MP: I hate this racket and am using one now.  Seems very inconsistent and too much power even when strung at max tension.

Give me a good recommendation for a few rackets to try.  I want to stay away from head this time because I dislike their products somewhat.  I need to pick a racket that is decent price too so that I can buy 2 at the same time and have one as a backup.  I really need something that won't be a hinder to my game which only needs a bit more consistency at this point.  Thanks.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 02:49:20 PM »
Sucks breaking frames that you do not abuse.  What a bummer.  

Have you tried any of the NCodes yet?  I have hit with the  nSix-One a few times and they feel pretty good.

What style of game do you play?  Lots of topspin baseliner?  Big serve or just spin, maybe both?

I am not the best equipment guy, but there are some people on here that know their equipment pretty well.  I do highly recommend you test them first!  Also, you can always get used racquets much cheaper, and they usually have almost no scratches on them.  If someone advertises them with 9/10 condition at Tenniswarehouse.com or here they are usually almost mint condition.  I ordered on of mine from someone who said it was 9/10 condition.  When I got it the plastic was still on the handle  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 06:47:25 PM »
If you're on a budget I can recommend the Mfil 200/300 and Maxply MacEnroe from Dunlop.  Can't go wrong with the n6-1 95 either.  I'm similar in size and experience to you and I have two of them.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 08:06:21 PM »
Because it seems like you're an intermediate level player, I wonder if when you say "too much power" what it really means is you're inconsistent, tend to hit long, and/or maybe don't hit with enough top spin.  I have this suspicion that if I were to watch you play, I would cite your technique as being more responsible for your inconsistency than your equipment.  But if you're worried about too much power than you shouldn't use an oversized racket.

Generally speaking, flexibility equals less power.  Also, smaller head size equals less power.  A denser string pattern is generally believed to mean MORE control (dense string pattern, 18 mains).  Thicker gauge string can also dampen power.  

With that said, if maybe you need to hit with more spin to keep the balls in play, you may want a more open string pattern (16 mains).

How are you with weight?  Do any of the rackets seem to heavy or light to you?  Like Scott said, demo several rackets from Tennis Warehouse.  All you pay for is shipping.

If you check out the rackets on Tennis Warehouse's website, they have power ratings.  I guess you would want something with "LOW" power.

xixxix

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 08:06:54 PM »
I am interested in getting an n6-one 95 now.  It seems a little high priced so idk if id be able to buy 2 or not which may be bad.  Are these rackets on the weak side?  I am having way too much trouble with my liquidmetal 4, it feels like i have to take way too much off my shots to the point that im not completing complete strokes to keep stuff in.

Also, sizewise, I have huge hands.  People have told me that you should go with small grips because of added control but, I feel most comfortable with the bigger ones.   5 feels most comfortable but people have recommended 4.5 which feels small for me without an overgrip.  

One other thing,  I was just examining my prince more controls and one of the rackets looks as it the carbon fiber is ok and just the paint cracked all the way around.  Should I even bother restringing this racket, could i get more use out of it or will it most likely break?

I have actually hit with the maxply and I was wondering,  It seems completely out of style,  has anyone felt bad using it because of the retro styling.  

Thanks a ton.

Offline ACE

• Tennis Player
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 08:45:12 PM »
Hi xixxix, :))

You should definitely demo the Prince Graphite Mid. This is a great racquet for control and consistencey.

It is 93 square inches, Strung Weight: 12.1oz and has plenty of spin capability with 14 Mains and 18 Crosses.  
Sells for about $120.00 and is a sturdy well constructed racquet. :thumbs-up:

Use a 5/8 grip size, ....... (for your large hands), ...... going to a smaller grip may cause blisters. :winner: Now you can go get the trophies!
I'm not going to take any crap
 ....No more "nice guy".

Offline christopher07

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »
Try the Prince Tour Diablo Midsize.  It's a 'players'/'control'-type racquet.

It's small [93 sq. in. / 600 sq. cm.] and heavy [12.2oz / 346g] and you hit the cover off the ball
(assuming advanced technique; long and fast swings) and still keep the ball in on just about every shot.

here are specs/reviews:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PTD.html

Generally, it's good to move away from large/oversize racquets if you want to refine your technique
and get more precise with your shotmaking.
I wish I could drink like a lady
I can take one or two at the most
Three and I'm under the table
Four and I'm under the host

Too f**king busy, and vice versa [reply to an editor]
- Dorothy Parker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 06:41:16 AM »
My senior year in college I switched from an oversize to a midplus.  It was a great move for me in the end.  I was stringing the Oversized racquets a few pounds over the recommended tension.  I agree with Chris, look to move to a smaller head if you are using an Oversize, especially if you hit big.
Scott Baker

xixxix

Thanks for help
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 11:38:50 AM »
Thanks for all the recommendations,  I actually have a store about 45 mins away that has a machine inside and a half court for you to demo rackets and they will let you take 3-4 rackets out of the store to hit with for a few days so Ill probably get a few from there today and test them out.

To MC ill Logic: Imo, I don't think my technique is the bottleneck.  I have been playing 3 years practicing at least every other day or more, I take lessons on a weekly basis, and play for two teams (School and a club).    My record this year at varsity singles was 9-1.  My main strategy was just torture the other persons backhand and come to the net for a put away.  (Most people I player this year didn't get a single forehand from me and weren't able to defend against the backhand attacks).  This year I want to develop strong baseline play and be able to rally a lot. I can't seem to do this with the liquidmetal 4, just feels too inconsistent to me.

Thanks again.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 11:54:30 AM »
9-1 is a very nice record.  Congrats!  It is always nice to hear people have a strategy and one they can execute.  Good luck finding a racquet that will suit your game, and let us know what you get.

Feel free to swing by anytime and chat up the tennis!!!
Scott Baker

Offline christopher07

• Tennis Addict
Re: Thanks for help
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 01:22:18 PM »
9:1 is a spectacular record.   I got close to that in the summer [8:1] and then i blew it; i normally lose as many
matches as i lose. I have 60% winning record.

My strategy may seem a bit wacky: i always like to play to my opponent's strengths, at all times.  My attitude is that
'I'll play to your best stroke/shot and i'll still beat you as  know i'm better; and technically better'. I'm very confident off the ground,
and i'm keen to demonstrate that i'm not afraid of anyone, no matter how well they play.  I guess it's a bit macho/reckless,  maybe stupid
- and it leads to errors if i'm not totally on my game.

But it's the only way that i know how to play....

Quote from: "xixxix"
Thanks for all the recommendations,  I actually have a store about 45 mins away that has a machine inside and a half court for you to demo rackets and they will let you take 3-4 rackets out of the store to hit with for a few days so Ill probably get a few from there today and test them out.

To MC ill Logic: Imo, I don't think my technique is the bottleneck.  I have been playing 3 years practicing at least every other day or more, I take lessons on a weekly basis, and play for two teams (School and a club).    My record this year at varsity singles was 9-1.  My main strategy was just torture the other persons backhand and come to the net for a put away.  (Most people I player this year didn't get a single forehand from me and weren't able to defend against the backhand attacks).  This year I want to develop strong baseline play and be able to rally a lot. I can't seem to do this with the liquidmetal 4, just feels too inconsistent to me.

Thanks again.
I wish I could drink like a lady
I can take one or two at the most
Three and I'm under the table
Four and I'm under the host

Too f**king busy, and vice versa [reply to an editor]
- Dorothy Parker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 05:14:36 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
9-1 is a very nice record.  Congrats!  It is always nice to hear people have a strategy and one they can execute.  Good luck finding a racquet that will suit your game, and let us know what you get.

Feel free to swing by anytime and chat up the tennis!!!
I only lost once in regular matches in three years of high school play.  That's including the pre-season tournament, leagues, and regionals.  ;)  But I DID lose a few times at the big invitationals where the "real" players show up.  You know, the rich kids with their complete games and pretty looking serves.  Bastards.

Yeah, in high school strategy alone can win you a lot of matches because basically 99% of high school players play idiotic, by-the-seat-of-your-pants tennis.  Not saying that strategy isn't important at higher levels, but you need the strokes first, then the strategy, whereas in high school if you're just a very shrewd player, you can beat guys with much better strokes just by implementing the correct strategy.  Going after their backhands exclusively like this dude did is probably enough to beat 50% of the high schoolers out there.  I'm pulling these percentages from out of my cat's ass, btw.

CZ

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 09:05:03 AM »
Hammer hTour if you can find one. They are excellent. I own 3.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Re: Thanks for help
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 01:05:29 PM »
Quote from: "xixxix"

Thanks again.

I'd love to play you a set or a match. I love it people attack my backhand. They usually don't realized until it's too late  :))
BTW, 9-1 is a very good and consistent record.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 09:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback I went to the local tennis store and demoed all the rackets here plus a few others iwanted to try.  

I ended up liking the most and took outside for demoing:
Diablo Mid
Wilson nTour MP
Volkl Tour 10 MP

After hitting, I liked all three of these rackets, all felt natural to me, a lot better than my head lm4.

I ended up choosing the Diablo Mid, it was the cheapest price out of these and was awesome, thanks for tipping about this racket,  I love it, felt a lot like my more control.  I was able to hit very nice shots with it all around the court.  I like that it feels stiff and the weighting, very easily moved.  I was also impressed with my serve with this racket.  I asked my pro about it and he said it would fit me well.  Do you guys think that this would be a good choice, Im probably going to be 1st or 2nd singles this year, I think i will be happy with it.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 10:02:30 PM »
^  Yes!  The internet works!!!  Congrats.  I'm actually curious about the Diablo myself.  I hear a lot of good things.