Poll

Who will win the 2006 Australian Open

Serena Williams
2 (11.8%)
Kim Clijsters
4 (23.5%)
Justine Henin-Hardenne
2 (11.8%)
Venus Williams
2 (11.8%)
Martina Hingis
0 (0%)
Lindsey
1 (5.9%)
Mauresmo
1 (5.9%)
if they come back in time:Seles or Capriati
0 (0%)
Mary Pierce
2 (11.8%)
if u think any1 else say
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: December 23, 2005, 09:08:28 PM

Author Topic: The Aussie Pt. 1  (Read 10371 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NJtennis11

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 5034
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 10:03:12 PM »
Vaidisova beat Myskina, Jankovic, Dechy, Golovin and Petrova last year.  Those are the 5 I quickly picked out from her results last year.  I personally like Golovin, Vaidisova and Ivanovic.  Golovin the best and the other two not far behind and wish them all the best of luck this year and hope they continue moving up the rankings.

Here are some of Ivanovic's results: She lost 6-2, 7-5 in Australia to Mauresmo.  She beat Petrova, Vaidisova, Kuznetsova, Dechy, Mauresmo, Jankovic, Golovin(2).

Offline Arcforce

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3285
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 10:16:46 PM »
Ivanovic is clearly the more superior player. Vaidisova has just simply taken advantage of Ana's injury and absence from the game recently. This moment before the YEC and following the USO -- the time when the top players have kind of mentally relaxed and the younger players are trying to scrap together points in lower tier events -- Vaidisova hopped on top and  tooka dvantage.

Had it not been for the injury, I have no doubt in my mind that Ivanovic would've been on top of Nicole and contending with the top of the field. She's a far better player...far more potential...

She's my dark horse.

Offline kittens25

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 11200
  • Gender: Male
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 10:19:57 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
Ivanovic is clearly the more superior player. Vaidisova has just simply taken advantage of Ana's injury and absence from the game recently. This moment before the YEC and following the USO -- the time when the top players have kind of mentally relaxed and the younger players are trying to scrap together points in lower tier events -- Vaidisova hopped on top and  tooka dvantage.

Had it not been for the injury, I have no doubt in my mind that Ivanovic would've been on top of Nicole and contending with the top of the field. She's a far better player...far more potential...

She's my dark horse.


Well I hope you are right.   I much prefer Ana personaly.

Offline kittens25

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 11200
  • Gender: Male
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 10:21:19 PM »
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"
also when i was watching nicole play henin in toronto, i noticed she has abominable footwork, she looked soo awkard and out of place, she was more uncoordinated and clumsy looking that sharapova running she needs to work on it alottt.. i havent seen anna lena groenfeld play at all, wats she like?


I noticed that to but I noticed that her serve and groundstrokes pack an enormous wallop too.   She probably is one of the top 8 hardest hitters on tour already.

Anonymous

  • Guest
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2005, 01:58:51 AM »
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"
also when i was watching nicole play henin in toronto, i noticed she has abominable footwork, she looked soo awkard and out of place, she was more uncoordinated and clumsy looking that sharapova running she needs to work on it alottt.. i havent seen anna lena groenfeld play at all, wats she like?


I have seen Groenfield play! She has a VERY similar game to that of Vaidisova's. Huge serve and heavy ground strokes. Just like Nicole, her movement could be defined as horrid, and the longer the rallies go, she is more opened to make an unforced error (I guess it's lack of experience :|  :uh: )

My dark horse in this tournament is Justine Henin. Many people have written this lady off because of her recent injuries and shaky play, but this girl has the heart of a lion. It will take a Williams Sister to take her out. You can quote me on that ;-()

Offline SerenaSlam06

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 1831
  • Gender: Male
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2005, 11:37:26 AM »
Quote from: "NJtennis11"
Vaidisova beat Myskina, Jankovic, Dechy, Golovin and Petrova last year.  Those are the 5 I quickly picked out from her results last year.  I personally like Golovin, Vaidisova and Ivanovic.  Golovin the best and the other two not far behind and wish them all the best of luck this year and hope they continue moving up the rankings.

Here are some of Ivanovic's results: She lost 6-2, 7-5 in Australia to Mauresmo.  She beat Petrova, Vaidisova, Kuznetsova, Dechy, Mauresmo, Jankovic, Golovin(2).


blahh the way myskina played this year, even hingis wouldve beat her
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline BitterBlueBong

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 1913
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »
Am I the only one who isn't up in arms over either Vaidisova or Ivanovic? Has either one of them made the slightest dent at a slam?

Offline NJtennis11

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 5034
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2005, 05:39:37 PM »
Ivanovic made it to the quarters at the French this year, and Vaidisova the 4th round of the US Open(I think).

Offline BitterBlueBong

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 1913
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005, 05:41:47 PM »
I think part of the problem for me is that I've only seen one or two matches from each player, so I don't have much to go on (especially in lieu of great results and/or upsets over top players).

Offline Arcforce

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3285
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2005, 01:13:13 AM »
I've only seen Ivanovic play once and yes she wasnt absolutely amazing but she looks like she could shape into something amazing. (not to put her on par with Serena but its the same concept, on a much smaller scale) -- kind of like Serena. Where you watched her and it wasnt quite coming together but you can see that its there.

Vaidisova I've seen play twice and I didnt really see what all the big deal was about. Her forehand seems kind of extreme (western) and her movement was very sloppy. Her backhand I'll admit packs quite a punch but is flat enough that she misses pretty often. Her serve is nice too. But she doesnt look like she's going to apex into the next Serena. Maybe the potential to become an Elena Demtneiva (funny comparison considering the serves, hah). But i dont see big things from her.

I see Davenport potential in Ana. Not Nicole.

Offline Wimbledon_05_Venus

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 585
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
I've only seen Ivanovic play once and yes she wasnt absolutely amazing but she looks like she could shape into something amazing. (not to put her on par with Serena but its the same concept, on a much smaller scale) -- kind of like Serena. Where you watched her and it wasnt quite coming together but you can see that its there.

Vaidisova I've seen play twice and I didnt really see what all the big deal was about. Her forehand seems kind of extreme (western) and her movement was very sloppy. Her backhand I'll admit packs quite a punch but is flat enough that she misses pretty often. Her serve is nice too. But she doesnt look like she's going to apex into the next Serena. Maybe the potential to become an Elena Demtneiva (funny comparison considering the serves, hah). But i dont see big things from her.

I see Davenport potential in Ana. Not Nicole.


I say the next Sharapova. There are some frightening similarities between the two.

Offline Dallas

  • Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 30589
  • Gender: Female
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2005, 05:07:53 PM »
Ooops... I thought I checked Kim but when I hit the 'vote' button my vote was clicked in Justine!  So take one away from Justine because I don't think she'll win.  I was voting for Kimmie....although I really want one of the William sisters to win! :))

Offline SerenaSlam06

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 1831
  • Gender: Male
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2006, 06:41:33 PM »
i know its kinda annoying, but im bumping this back up since all those votes were b4 it started and well lol now its started
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline Belgian Miss

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2313
  • Gender: Female
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 03:50:54 AM »
Hingis has been playing very well in this tournament.  Henin and Clijsters do what they do usually: win. Venus, Pierce and Dementieva are already out. Serena is struggling (injury?). Sharapova has a good shot, but what a terrible outfit. Myskina, Davenport, Petrova, Maursemo, Kuznetsova and Schnyder are sneaking their way further in the draw, unnoticed by everyone.

Offline SerenaSlam06

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 1831
  • Gender: Male
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »
i think amelie is going to crash out to an in form misa, hope the match will be on espn 2
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline Belgian Miss

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2313
  • Gender: Female
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 03:58:32 PM »
I hope Krajicek can win. I like Mauresmo too, but since Michaela is Dutch, I prefer her to win.

Offline SerenaSlam06

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 1831
  • Gender: Male
The Aussie Pt. 1
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 06:44:37 PM »
hmm, maybe we should start an Mblock fan club for misa
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.