Author Topic: What do you think is the best style of play?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Acrobatic Style

• New Poster
What do you think is the best style of play?
« on: December 29, 2005, 08:02:23 AM »
Hey guys!!! I have asked this question to people quite frequently, but, what style of play do you think is the best?

Like, speed, or technique, maybe serve and volley, the ever tough counter punchers, or maybe like me..acrobatic :a)
There are many more styles of play as well, which do you all think is the best? Or you can just tell me what style you use.
I rather relax than have a tennis match^_^

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:47:55 PM »
First off, welcome to the boards!!!

I personally serve and volley.  I think it is a nice change of pace and it does throw some people off.  Others however like a target and they can hit great passign shots.  Some poeple would rather just hit through baseline rallies and force the error.  With serve and volley play you really put the pressure on your opponent and force them to come up with the goods to beat you.

But with that said, I think being an all-court player is key.  Although Federer's net game is not as good as it could be, he is still an all court player.  He is able to execute from any spot on the court and that makes him very dangerous.  Being one-dimensional can hurt you against certain players.  I think the all-court player "style" is the best.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 09:41:22 PM »
Well, all-around is definately the most desirable style of play but for me, I'm a baseliner. Personally, I would like to improve my volley skills but I get a lot of doubles matches to help me in that category. I prefer the baseline anyways b/c I hit winners a lot better from there.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:43:22 PM »
WB - - -

I use to play strictly baseline tennis.  But once I started practicing and playing at the net a lot my game seriously improved.  I suggest spending some ample time at the net in practice.
Scott Baker

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:49:11 PM »
Well, to be honest, my baseline game is mostly for show. I think that it impresses the crowd whenever I make really good saves.(I know, I'm psychotic) Playing at the net doesn't really require that as much energy as chasing down the ball. And to tell u the truth, I like it better when I'm using a lot of energy b/c it gets me "in the zone"; I'm weird like that. I'm not saying that I don't ever come up to the net, it's just that I'm a lot more comfortable at the baseline.

(when I'm playin Topspin on PS2, I go up to the net though b/c it makes the matches go by faster)
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 09:52:36 PM »
But...  The net is for the times you are on the offense off of a short ball.  I understand the importance of the "show" but I love putting down a sweet overhead or smooth touch volley at the net on complete offence.  It is also great to sneak in a serve and volley now and then.  Federer does it and Agassi does it out of the blue, but look how rarely Agassi loses one of those points.  It keeps your opponent honest and forces him to go for more on the return.
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 01:00:35 AM »
Personally, I admire technicians a lot more than big hitters. It takes so much more skill to be able to hit every shot in the book on command and ALSO be able to employ those shots at the perfect times. Think of Martina Hingis...Baselining is great too but I just enjoy seeing someone who knows when to throw up the dropper or can knock off a slice on the drop of a dime but can also rely on baselining or serve&volley if necessary. Kind of the same as all around but also knowing how to use that all-around game not just having it at your disposal.