Author Topic: Federer speaks out about Hewitt's court comments.  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Federer speaks out about Hewitt's court comments.
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »
Federer letting his opinion be known.  hee

Play fair Lleyton, says Federer
By Karen Lyon
January 13, 2005

In a surprising attack on Lleyton Hewitt's criticism of the playing surface at Melbourne Park, defending Australian Open champion Roger Federer said yesterday the courts must be prepared for all players and not just the local hope.

The usually mild-mannered Federer said it would be unfair for the open's organisers to radically alter the speed of the courts to suit the needs of the best Australian player. "I know [Hewitt] likes it quicker but he shouldn't forget there are 500 or 600 other players playing the tournament as well," said Federer.

"[With] 'qualies' and main draw, women's and men's, for everybody the same, it's just not the one court where he is going to play on," added Federer, who won Wimbledon and the US Open last year on much quicker surfaces than he will experience at the Australian Open.

The 23-year-old Swiss, who yesterday won his first match at Kooyong, 5-7, 6-1, 6-4 against Gaston Gaudio, will have his first practice session at Melbourne Park today.

Last year's Australian Open champion believes he should be allowed to defend his crown in similar conditions to which it was obtained.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Hoytie

• Tennis God
  • My British Blue Shorthair, Joshua, a Tennis Fan.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:08:36 AM »
Gosh!  Hewitt never gives anybody any reason to like him.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 10:25:05 AM »
lol...  And Fed is usually fairly quiet, although he is becoming more vocal.  I think the #1 player in the world should make a stand here and there.  Sampras was almost too quiet.  I thought it was pretty classy that Federer was trying to rally the troups to play exhibition matches to raise money for the Tsunami victims.  Nice to see that he understands what role he plays in tennis and beyond right now.
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 04:52:57 PM »
Two things.

First, journalists are always trying to make a conflict out of nothing. Where's the "attack?" Sounds to me like he simply disagreed and said everyone should be considered with respect to the surface speed.

Second,
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I thought it was pretty classy that Federer was trying to rally the troups to play exhibition matches to raise money for the Tsunami victims.  Nice to see that he understands what role he plays in tennis and beyond right now.

I agree to an extent, and it's great to see the players keep the tsunami victims in mind, but something tells me that Federer could simply donate a fraction of the millions he earned last year.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »
He could indeed do that too.  Maybe he has.
Scott Baker