Author Topic: "Let"  (Read 1360 times)

Offline daddybear

• New Poster
"Let"
« on: January 17, 2006, 10:37:36 PM »
Me and my friends were intrigued by the term "Let" used in our game of tennis.

We don't know why a "Let" is called whenever the ball touches the net during the serve or why is it called a "Let" if we would like to replay the point whenever there is an obstruction that would hinder our game.

We would appreciate if someone could tell us where the word "Let" originated and what brought about its use in tennis.

thanks

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
"Let"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 11:26:20 PM »
Welcome to the forums DB!

I can't help you out on the history and what not but I'd probably guess -- maybe "let" there be a re-do? lol Not too sure. Some of the other guys can proly help you out tho.

I have a question of my own too -- how come it always sounds like they're saying "net" on tv during the slams?

Offline daddybear

• New Poster
"Let"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 12:58:24 AM »
thanks, Arcforce...

i guess you're right, the net-guy shouts "net" for the umpire to know that the ball on serve touches the net and a "Let" should be played.

what really intrigue us is, what brought about the use of the word "Let" whenever we want to replay a game because of allowable hindrance; ball touching the net during serve, an errant ball from adjoining court rolls over our court; etc.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
"Let"
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:25:09 AM »
daddybear,

After your e-mail last night I looked it up online and came up short.  But I was seeing stuff like "re-do".

Don't we have any French majors here?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
"Let"
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 09:02:50 AM »
I actually do have a French degree...but that was a while ago.  I haven't spoken it fluently in years.  But the French term "laisser" means to allow, leave, LET.  Maybe it came from there.
Addicted to the Fed Express

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
"Let"
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 04:34:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it goes back farther than French. It's most likely a full-on Latin root.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
"Let"
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 04:37:15 PM »
I studied French and as far as I know, "let" means nothing and I can't really see how it would derive from the verb laisser.

Offline daddybear

• New Poster
"Let"
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 07:03:44 PM »
Thanks guys....it's really very enlightening...

but just like me and my court friends we have had a bit of argument on the subject but decided to do a research to come up with the origin...and this makes our games and friendship more interesting...

happy searching...guys...and keep those topspins within the lines...