Author Topic: 2 handed back handed volley  (Read 2001 times)

Offline steviestyles

• Tennis Player
2 handed back handed volley
« on: January 12, 2005, 09:03:10 PM »
Ive been getting a lot of harassment about my two handed backhand volley  No one i know on the pro tour uses a two handed backhand volley obviously there has to be disadvantages but is it enough to worry about and make an effort to change?

:;:-|

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 09:09:05 PM »
I tell ya, if I had a 2 handed backhand volley I would switch.

You have a few problems here.  The biggest problem is that you will lack reach which when at the net, you need all the reach you can get.

I would also think that it would be tougher to hit with touch, but maybe it is not that much harder.

Volleys are meant to be hit in front of the body.  The 2 handed backhand is meant to be hit more parallel with the body where as the one handed backhand is meant to be hit more in front.  

I can definitely see it being a disadvantage.  I would make the switch.  Unless you are hitting sweet a$$ volleys with it, I would make the change.  I bet if you switch and do some practicing with it you will laugh about this subject in 4-5 practice sessions with it.

I personally recommend the change.  The few weeks of struggling with the change would be far worth it in the long run!  Especially as you get older and move slower.  You will just naturally have less reach.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 09:24:50 PM »
I concur.  a 2-handed backhand volley will never be as good as a one handed backhand volley can be.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:14:09 PM »
I use both, depending on how high/low I'm hitting the volley. When I first started playing I a) wasn't used to volleying and b) loved swinging volleys (and still do) -- so I never quite abandoned the two handed backhand volley. But now I use it less and less often. Sue me!   :)~

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 06:23:52 AM »
How much money do you have?  I have to make sure it is worth suing you for.
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 03:46:40 PM »
I use swinging volleys whenever I can and even when I really shouldnt, most of the time. But when I do volley, I usually use two hands on it if its really high above the net and will use the same motion but take one hand off if its low. I guess I kinda just switch back and forth becuz sometimes, I'll take my other hand off on the backhand volley even when its high....Just depends on the mood I'm in  :)~

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 06:28:12 PM »
I use swinging volleys whenever I can and even when I really shouldnt

:whistle:

That's totally me. I enjoy the forehand swinging volleys more, though.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 09:31:15 PM »
If the ball sits up high enough and you have the time I am not opposed to it.  But if it is a tougher shot I think the 1 handed volley is the way to go.  Especially for dubs.  You will rarely get away with a swinging volley in dubs.
Scott Baker