Author Topic: AO 2005 - Women's Draw  (Read 13037 times)

Anonymous

AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2005, 01:00:40 PM »
Well it is not as if she has started putting in the extra work and started playing the warmups to prepare is it?   So I dont see why her reemergance as the dominant player would start her, especially with a tough draw.   Myskina in the quarters(cant beat Serena on anything but clay), Mauresmo in the semis(more likely to choke in a semi than a quarter but tougher for quarter standards than semi standards), and Davenport having a tougher draw before the final, would be an easier draw for her.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2005, 06:25:27 PM »
Quote from: "kittens25"
Mauresmo can only choke so many matches against Serena away

But she doesn't just choke against Serena. Until Mauresmo proves that she can hold up mentally in a grand slam against ANY player, I'd give Serena the edge any day of the week (not to mention Serena is simply a better player).

If she does somehow beat Mauresmo she would play Sharapova or Kuznetsova, young players with huge hitting who can power the ball with her... I like the chances of either of those beating her.

Those two would be big challenges for Serena. But considering how well she was playing at the YEC against Maria and how she fended off a match point or two in China against Svetlana (and even *gasp* VENUS beat Kuznetsova this year), who was horrible in her last match, it's not that tall an order.

But enough with Serena...best of luck to her. Now let's move to Davenport. Everyone is assuming Davenport will do extremely well here. She looks poised to do just that, but let's not forget that Davenport hasn't won a slam in FIVE years (we hear about Venus' slam drought ad nauseum, but what about Lindsay's?). Yes, she's arguably playing the best tennis of her career, but I thought the same thing going into the U.S. Open. Her second round struggle doesn't convince me that her chances here are any better. If she gets past Venus in the quarters, it will become increasingly difficult to protect her main weakness: mobility. But best of luck to her as well.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2005, 06:33:42 PM »
geeeeez, 5 years?  I wonder how she would hold up mentally trying to finish out a match in the finals.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Arcforce_Guest

RE
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »
Sorry to break the flow of things here by throwing in my usual Venus worship but I just HAVE to give big ups to Venus. Its obvious that her forehand has been struggling for a long while now (since 2003) and its been terrible to watch in this slam. I used to cringe everytime she hit it. But today, against Smashnova, her forehand was absolutely amazing. She was smacking it VERY hard and hitting winners back and forth in the SECOND SET. It was shocking to see her hitting it that well after such a long drought but I'm so glad she's getting it together.

I hope she makes it past Molik becuz I want to see that Davenport/Williams rematch from the US OPEN Rnd of 16. The two of them are very hot now on court and the tennis would be amazing, yet again, if you place them opposite one another on a tennis court.

--BTW, I've been gone so much becuz of my computer's crashing :(. Rest in peace me right?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2005, 11:30:54 PM »
PC crash eh?  U are always welcome here, pc crashes and all.  But you might want to log back in, you are listed as Arcforce Guest  :)

Venus played great.  Smashanova was a yo-yo in the first set and it wore her out big time.  Even though she won some of those super duper long rallies she did 90% of the running and I knew from that point she could not keep it up.  She definietly ran out of gas in the second and Venus played well.
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2005, 08:40:06 AM »
But she doesn't just choke against Serena. Until Mauresmo proves that she can hold up mentally in a grand slam against ANY player, I'd give Serena the edge any day of the week (not to mention Serena is simply a better player).

If Serena was simply the better player right now why does she need Mauresmo to choke away leads and chances every time they play to beat her?   I dont agree she is the better player right now, she is the better competitor.    If Mauresmo plays as well as she did in their last two matches and doesnt choke this time I believe she could beat Serena.   Serena hasnt actually upped her game any from what I have seen.

Those two would be big challenges for Serena. But considering how well she was playing at the YEC against Maria and how she fended off a match point or two in China against Svetlana (and even *gasp* VENUS beat Kuznetsova this year), who was horrible in her last match, it's not that tall an order.

Yes she needed to fend off a match point or two in China against a Svetlana who was obviously fatigued, playing so much tennis, while Serena by comparision was well rested.   You are right Svetlana wasnt very good in the last few weeks but if she regains her U.S open form I think she is quite capable of beating Serena.   How well she was playing against Maria at the YEC?    I guess you are referring to how she almost won injured, but keep in mind Maria was on her way to sending it to a 3rd set (up 5-2 in the 2nd)when Serena injured herself.   She was already very much in the match.    She has won their last two meetings and has the mental edge if anything.

But enough with Serena...best of luck to her. Now let's move to Davenport. Everyone is assuming Davenport will do extremely well here. She looks poised to do just that, but let's not forget that Davenport hasn't won a slam in FIVE years (we hear about Venus' slam drought ad nauseum, but what about Lindsay's?). Yes, she's arguably playing the best tennis of her career, but I thought the same thing going into the U.S. Open. Her second round struggle doesn't convince me that her chances here are any better. If she gets past Venus in the quarters, it will become increasingly difficult to protect her main weakness: mobility. But best of luck to her as well.

Yes but keep in mind she very likely would have won the U.S open but for a hugely unlucky injury in the semis against Kuznetsova(who came out nervous and would have been almost out of the match by the time she got comfortable).   She also may have won Wimbledon but a rain delay against Sharapova in the semis.   Some people say good things happen to good people.   I think the miserable luck Davenport received at the U.S open, to a lesser extent Wimbledon, and even at the French which may have been her best chance ever to win there prove otherwise.   Davenport was the best player in the world last year and would have won 1 or possably 2 slams but for her miserable luck.    As for the Williams and their luck with injuries I am aware of that, which is why I was referring to events they were not injured in the past playing certain opponents.     ..-)

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2005, 12:10:24 PM »
If Serena was simply the better player right now

I don't think I said "right now." I mean PERIOD. Serena at her best will beat Mauresmo at her best. As for the choking, you can differentiate between "competitor" and "player" but at the end of the day, other players are simply better because they can close out matches. And Serena hasn't upped her game any? Compare Mauresmo and Serena in this tournament. That's all I need to say.

You are right Svetlana wasnt very good in the last few weeks but if she regains her U.S open form I think she is quite capable of beating Serena.

And if Serena regains her 02/03 form, she is capable of beating anyone --  you see, that doesn't really mean anything if the form isn't there.

How well she was playing against Maria at the YEC?    I guess you are referring to how she almost won injured, but keep in mind Maria was on her way to sending it to a 3rd set (up 5-2 in the 2nd)when Serena injured herself.   She was already very much in the match.

Kittens, I didn't say Serena BEAT her. I said she was playing well against her. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here -- I already agreed that both Sharapova and Kuznetsova would be big challenges but that Serena can do it.

Yes but keep in mind she very likely would have won the U.S open but for a hugely unlucky injury in the semis against Kuznetsova(who came out nervous and would have been almost out of the match by the time she got comfortable).   She also may have won Wimbledon but a rain delay against Sharapova in the semis.

And the list could go on. The fact of the matter is she hasn't won a slam in years and (like Venus), so many factors could have contributed. Until I see her in a final again, I'm not impressed.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2005, 10:43:07 AM »
Sharapova vs Kuznetsova next if I am readign that right.  That should be a great match.  I am going to go with Kuznetsova at this point.  I am not sure why.  I have still yet to see her play.  I feel it is her destiny.  lol
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2005, 11:59:48 AM »
I think I have to agree w. you Scott. Maria beat Sveta in the YEC and If I'm not mistaken, it was a pretty bad loss. Straight sets, I believe. So its psssible that Sharapova could make a repeat and kill Kuznetsova but as far as play throughout this particular tournament, I'd doubt it.

Kuznetsova has had very solid wins all of this tournament, impressive play really. While Sharapova has been down a set in a number of her matches. She hasn't played like champ material at all, IMO. And kuznetsova has.

I'm going to go with Kuznetsova in straights.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2005, 12:00:44 PM »
Also, did anyone see Williams/Petrova match? Heard it went intro three sets and I meant to watch it but I fell asleep in front of the tv last night  ..-) I know Serena won but I was just wondering how the players looked. Any feedback?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2005, 12:04:57 PM »
I didn;t get to see any of it.  As soon as Agassi won I passed out.
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2005, 12:08:29 PM »
lol me too, Scott.  :laugh-bounce:

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2005, 12:48:06 PM »
I went out last night, so I taped it...when I got back, Serena was leading 4-2 in the 3rd set. I want to say it was a good match, and in a way it was because both players made some great shots. However, it was more like the tale of errors. Serena played horribly to lose that second set (had chances to break back to get to 4-4) and let Petrova come back a little in the third as well. She was also seriously complaining about a particular line judge (I hardly ever see her complain THAT much, but that usually only happens when nerves come into play and she's either losing or it's a tight match). But she held on to win 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2005, 12:52:55 PM »
Also...

interesting to see Sharapova have another 3-setter -- this time against Silvia Farina Elia. She had beaten Sharapova before, but even after she won the first set, I knew Sharapova was going to come back and win. A good fight from both players though. Based on current form, I'd pick Kuznetsova over Sharapova, but you never know.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2005, 03:54:24 PM »
Interesting, 3 for K over Sharapova now.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2005, 10:11:25 PM »
Patty Schnyder (12)   def.   Elena Dementieva (6)   6-7 (6-8), 7-6 (7-4), 6-2

Nice win for PS.  She seems to love it at the AO.  She did real well last year did she not?  Glad to see her doing well, she always seems nice, not too cocky.
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2005, 12:29:37 AM »
She got to the semis last year, if I remember correctly.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2005, 07:51:06 AM »
Well, Venus and Myskina both lost which suprises me a little.   Well, not Venus so much, she doesn't do to well in the tournaments anymore.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2005, 07:58:58 AM »
Venus' comments after her match...

"I definitely didn't produce my best tennis, that's for sure," she said.

"It was definitely a match I should have won. I would definitely say when I'm playing well, I feel I'm the best.

"But this time I was not the best. I just wasn't hitting it cleanly enough. My movement wasn't as good and I wasn't correcting my errors immediately."

This one seems different to me than the rest.  Did she really say she feels she is the "best"?  Maybe in 2000 that was believable, but now?  She hasn't done squat for a long time, for her to say that seems way off.  I like to see her do well though, but it has been a while.
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2005, 08:02:21 AM »
Did she really say she feels she is the "best"? Maybe in 2000 that was believable, but now? She hasn't done squat for a long time, for her to say that seems way off.

LOL. What would be a better answer -- "Gee, I'm not that good, but I'm gonna go out and play anyway?" Regardless of your results, you need to have the confidence that your game can stand up to anyone else's. Venus' comments don't seem out of the norm, IMO.