Author Topic: AO 2005 - Women's Draw  (Read 11474 times)

Anonymous

AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2005, 08:37:17 AM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
I'd like to see Serena vs Davenport cuz I dunno who to pull for.

I think Serena has the edge against Sharapova tho. Lets be honest...Sharapova has dropped a set in nearly every match she's played and Serena? Well she whooped the number 2 player in the world 2 & 2...do the math --

True, a farce of a number 2 player in the world though.    Thank god she will be dropping from that ranking soon.    I laugh when I think of such an overhyped and overrated commodity ranked that high.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2005, 09:00:58 AM »
:)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2005, 03:41:44 PM »
Just for fun lets sum up some indications of Mauresmo's ability shall we:

1)When she plays Serena playing Serena's best she regularly wins only 3 or 4 games, 6-1, 6-2 in Wimbledon semis of 2002; 6-1, 6-1 at the French Open of 2003, 6-2, 6-2 the other night.   I dont know whether Mauresmo considers it her best or not, there always seems to be some excuse with her, injured, nervous, but it is consistent enough to draw some conclusion.
I know Serena is great, but shouldnt somebody who gets the hype she seems to from some tennis circles be somewhat more respectable than that under those circumstances?

2)When she plays Serena or Venus, when Venus was a dominant top few player, on a day Serena or Venus were not just not playing their best, but were struggling with their games, Mauresmo still fails to win, again regularly.   3 set loss to wild Venus in 2002 U.S open semis, 3 set loss to tenative and hesitant Serena in 2004 Wimbledon semis, 3 set loss to sloppy Serena in year-end semis.

3)Davenport has completely owned Mauresmo since Mauresmo's early success against her in 99-2000.   Once Davenport figured out how to handle the high arced balls she was fine with Mauresmo.  In fact she even beat Mauresmo on clay last year, straight sets no less.  

4)Last year Mauresmo had two wide open opportunities to win majors, the French and U.S opens, and lost to Dementieva, a very good player, but likely one of the lesser players we will see reach two slam finals, when considering the quality of her serve.

5)Mauresmo has not even reached a slam final since her initial final at the 99 Australian.   That is now 6 full years.

6)Mauresmo appears to not have the power to hit with the best power players, nor the genius of Hingis or even Henin-Hardenne, the counterpunching ability of Capriati or Dementieva, a serve and volley of that of Novotna or even Tauziat.

7)Mauresmo appears to have been overtaken not only by her veteran peers but young rising stars like the Russians, Henin, and Clijsters.   I cant recall her beating any of them in a big match, just smaller matches where an inferior player is more likely to come out ahead.

Oh yes and her performance the other night sucked as well.   Just my personal opinion though.     :H

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2005, 03:53:07 PM »
I have never been a big fan of Maursemo.  The only reason I liked her at all was because there was a year where she beat the ever whining Capriati a lot and knocked her out of some slams.

but yes, her results are something to not be desired.  I am not sure how she ever got to #1, she was probably the worst #1 on the women's side for a long time.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2005, 03:55:55 PM »
What is the furthest Dechy has ever gotten in a slam?  I have to assume the semi's is the furthest, I do not recall her in any finals before.  Has she made the semi's before this AO?  I relly do not know much about her.
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2005, 04:29:24 PM »
I recall Dechy making the 4th round of Wimbledon in 99, and the 4th round of the U.S open in 98.   I am not sure if she has ever made a slam quarter, I dont recall one.    I am shocked she is in the semis.   I was very surprised she beat Myskina, less startled but still somewhat surprised she followed it up by beating Schnyder.   Personally I think she will be road kill for Davenport, her only hope was to win a short quarter and be fresher but as we know her match lasted the same time and ended the same time.   Still it will likely always be a career highlight for her so hopefully she feels good about it even after her likely mauling.

I actually feel the exact same way.   I loved watching Mauresmo take Capriati out in big matches over and over.   I also loved her 0-2 whipping of Jen-Jen during the clay court season of last year.    I am sorry, I confess to not being a big Jen-Jen supporter.   The language, the swearing, the lack of proper english in her conversation even when she is being nice, the lack of respect for umpires and officials during matches and tournaments, annoys me.   Plus the fact her game is overrated, again she is very good, but what is the extent of the praise and gushing, too much in my eyes.   I dont find her level of tennis during her stretch of 3 out of 5 majors, even close to that of say Henin-Hardenne in hers of 3 and 4, despite the fact Henin is not considered on par with a dominant figure as the Williams.   I also dont understand people saying the U.S open of 2003 was hers to lose just because the Williams did not enter, were Henin, Clijsters, and Davenport, all who own her, still entered?

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2005, 04:30:17 PM »
I dunno much about her either ,Scott. I saw her playing in a tournament earlier this year against Bovina...didnt look like her game was too big but I guess she's had a pretty easy draw.

The Davenport/Molik match was gr8. I couldn't go to sleep -- had to stay up and watch it. Molik has really proven herself to me and to the world in this tournament. She's lived up to the hype and played two of the world's best (Venus & Lindsay) very close. I have mad respect for the chick now...

Gr8 win for Davenport tho. She's practically already in the finals.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »
Davenport and Myskina both had great opportunities to get to #1 last year, Myskina had she won the Olympics and had a respectable U.S open,
Davenport had she mantained her health, and won the U.S open.   They failed, of course Henin and Serena did not play enough no matter how much they had won to be #1, Sharapova was still too erratic, so she slipped in briefly, mostly by default.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2005, 04:33:44 PM »
Even though Davenport had a long match, she plays relatively short points.  Since she is as slow as a turtle she doesn't do as much running.  Plus her shots are so deep and heavy that she doesn't give her opponents the opportunity to run her as much.  I doubt she will be tired at all.  I think Dechy is going to run out of luck here, but you never know!
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2005, 08:41:10 PM »
Lets get it fired up for the Serena - Maria match!

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »
Am I the only one who hates Mary Carillo? I mean, I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon but she is saying some insane stuff about Serena's forehand being hugely flawed or something....

Does anyone else with a brain find her forehand flawed?

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2005, 11:33:37 PM »
I don't even concern myself with Mary, Mary Joe, or Pam. All I know is Serena won in an AMAZING display of determination and competitiveness. GO SERENA!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2005, 11:35:17 PM »
Truely amazing.  Just as good as beating Kim C a few years back down 1-5 in  the third.  This was gooooooood stuff!
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2005, 11:39:01 PM »
I was definitely thinking about that Clijsters match. But Sharapova is not known for choking and had THREE match points (Kim had two) so I didn't think Serena had the same chances. However, it's interesting to note that Maria lost all the close sets in her run here at the AO. This makes the rest of the year that much more fascinating.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »
Like they said though, she hasn't won a close set in the tournament.
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2005, 08:22:58 AM »
I'm happy for Serena, but I hope Lindsay wins.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2005, 08:37:01 AM »
This is really cool.  Neither has won a slam in a long time, so I am torn.  I want Davenport to win and prove her #1 ranking is not a fluke.  But I want Serena to win to show the world she is not done yet.  

I will be happy for whoever.  I hope it is some good tennis!
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2005, 08:48:29 AM »
I hope it is good tennis too since neither of the womens semis were.  :)   The Serena vs Sharapova semi was great drama but both had about twice the unforced errors as winners, and many of the points ended with quick unforced errors.   The serving also wasnt what I expected from either woman.  Davenport didnt play on her form against Dechy, I thought personally, Dechy came up with a refreshing performance, as well as I have ever seen her play in the blips I have gotten the chance to see her.   It wasnt enough but she can be proud, but Davenport must play much much better in the final to have a chance.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2005, 12:48:11 PM »
I agree Lindsay looked really bad out there today. Not at all in her shape but I'm glad she pulled through. I dunno how she'll do in the final but I, too, will be happy for either Serena or Lindsay. I kinda hope its really close but Davenport pulls it out so she can go ahead and end on a good note yknow.

If not, I"ll be extra happy if Serena wins :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
AO 2005 - Women's Draw
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »
Has anyone ever retired being #1 in the world and right after winning a slam?  has anyone ever retired while #1 in the world?

I would hate to see her go, I know I have said it before, but I feel it needs spoken.

Davenport is all class!

She is so nice, down to earth, not cocky, never any controversy around her, just plain nice.   And I feel it is refreshing to see a #1 like that on the women's side.

With that said though, I am really torn about who I want to win.  Serena has been my favorite player for a long time.  I found myself throwing fists in the air as she started winnign last night.   I probably would of busted a Hewitt "Come on" if wifey wasn't in bed.  

Who will be more nervous?  I think Serena feels she has too much to prove.  Davenport hasn't been in this situation for a long time.  Please OH please make this a memorable final!
Scott Baker