Author Topic: The official football (not that American rubbish) thread  (Read 3591 times)

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
The official football (not that American rubbish) thread
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »
So yeah, football (or "soccer" as some people call it). Discuss away all those who want to.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »
That's what I like to see and I agree with the title :H

This thread should be some good fun (when Man United win that is) and I can imagine some heated exchanges will be on the way during the next few months :))
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:06:33 PM »
Yeah, I think it'll be just us two though. Oh well, I can more than hold my own if you decide to insult Everton

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:42:50 PM »
Well, I honestly don't know why it's called soccer instead of football. I mean, every other country calls it football. Not to mention the fact that the kicker is the only person who's foot actually touches the ball; and that's like 0.05% of the time.lol
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »
I thought it was "futbol" overseas? ....Or is that in Spanish?

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"

that's just spanish...

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:04:06 AM »
Quote from: "RainerShuttle"
Yeah, I think it'll be just us two though. Oh well, I can more than hold my own if you decide to insult Everton

Yeah I can see that mainly being the case- it may well be the battle between Man United and Everton for the next few months.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »
Let's crank this baby up a notch. Chris, or indeed anyone else who follows, what were your thoughts on this afternoon's relatively shocking results, most notably up at the Riverside?

Offline Wimbledon_05_Venus

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"

:shut-up:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 03:10:58 PM »
Quite astonishing result for Boro today against Chelsea, really no one saw that one coming but fair play to the Boro having just been beaten 7-0 and 4-1 in the last couple of the weeks. They play so well against us, Chelsea and Arsenal at home but really poor the rest of the time. I hope Chelsea have a real dip in form for a few weeks now but I can't see Mourinho letting that happen.

Next is my team Man United a a really good first half performance against Portsmouth, we really did play some very good football and proved that going forward with Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Ronaldo and Giggs we are the best attacking team in the country. Yes it was against lowly Portsmouth but the way the victory was put away so clinically in the 1st half was impressive with 3 great goals, especially Ronaldo's first- what a cracker that was- should be a real candidate for goal of the month.

Finally I think I should congratulate Everton on yet another 1-0 victory even though they were down to 10 men after just 9 minutes facing the situation of having the 4th choice goalkeeper between the sticks. Everton really did very well today and Beattie again worked his socks off, Everyon always have a very good team spirit and a lot of passion from the supporters, players and manager and that gains them a fair few points each season.

Arsenal got lucky to scrape a point against Bolton, Arsenal are really going to struggle to get that all important 4th place at this rate and it would be even worse for them to lose it to Tottenham, their great rivals, but I'll be really pleased if Arsenal don't get Champions League football. Liverpool got a bit of a lucky win again and had to rely on one of their defenders Hyypia to score as their forwards are a bit of a shambles. We're out to get them next week in the cup and I couldn't think of a better ground other than for a final to win a cup tie than Anfield and see them whinging and hopefully a few crying in the Kop.

Well that's my thoughts, anyone else have any views?

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 03:25:26 PM »
I'll be firmly on your side when you take on the supposed "best team in Europe" next week. Please beat them. And if you do please let Gary Neville run to the Kop again, kissing his badge. Last time it pissed them off so much it ws hilarious.

I totally agree about Boro too - how can they thrash both you and Chelsea at home (and seriously, they crushed both of you) yet lose to Sunderland? They should stay up, however, due to the four below them being so much worse. Pompey & Sunderland are already down and I fancy WBA being dragged down with them with Birmingham staying up.

Everton, on the other hand, will float between 8th and 14th for the rest of the season I reckon - we won't make Europe despite some deluded Toffees thinking we might, but we're way clear of the relegation problem now too. Knowing our luck with keepers right now, John Ruddy will trip over a cone in training and break his leg.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »
Quote from: "RainerShuttle"
I'll be firmly on your side when you take on the supposed "best team in Europe" next week. Please beat them. And if you do please let Gary Neville run to the Kop again, kissing his badge. Last time it pissed them off so much it ws hilarious.

I totally agree about Boro too - how can they thrash both you and Chelsea at home (and seriously, they crushed both of you) yet lose to Sunderland? They should stay up, however, due to the four below them being so much worse. Pompey & Sunderland are already down and I fancy WBA being dragged down with them with Birmingham staying up.

Everton, on the other hand, will float between 8th and 14th for the rest of the season I reckon - we won't make Europe despite some deluded Toffees thinking we might, but we're way clear of the relegation problem now too. Knowing our luck with keepers right now, John Ruddy will trip over a cone in training and break his leg.

Thanks for your support for next week I really hope we beat them as I absolutely hate them, and they are a joke to be called 'Champions of Europe' and I can see you agree from your comment about them, it would be even better if Rooney scored and ran straight up to the Kop to terrorise them a little more. There are also too many Liverpool fans at school so we must beat them again as this is the last time we will play them while I'm at school, so we must finish my 14 years on a high note.

I agree very much that Boro absolutely crushed us and Chelsea and left us humiliated but then they play shocking against teams like Sunderland and Villa. WBA 6-1 defeat at Fulham today as left me thinking they will drop down like you say with the all ready doomed Sunderland and more than likely doomed Portsmouth, I can't see Boro going down and Birmingham should have enough to stay up.

As for Everton, I think the disasterous start put paid to any hope of Europe this season but I could see you getting maybe 7th- 9th at best, which considering the start you had would be a tremendous achievement.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 12:36:05 PM »
Rooney and Red Devils run riot

We've done it again, Manchester United have once again won another trophy, although it's not the greatest trophy to win by any means, especially when you look at the success we have had over the past 14 years but at least we have won a trophy this year and once again our Wayne Rooney proved what an incredible player he is and just why I believe him to be one of the top 3 players in the world right now and in a couple of years will be the greatest footballer on the planet. Here's a review of the final:

Manchester United brought some cheer to a miserable season with an emphatic 4-0 victory over Wigan Athletic in the Carling Cup final at The Millennium Stadium.

Wayne Rooney ended a goal drought by netting in each half, while the tournament's top scorer Louis Saha was also on target, along with Cristiano Ronaldo.

Wigan were left to rue defensive frailties for the outcome as The Red Devils romped to the final's biggest margin of victory in the competition's history.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson sprang a selection surprise by leaving Ruud van Nistelrooy on the bench, while Stephane Henchoz was passed fit after picking up an injury at Tottenham last weekend.

Any thoughts Wigan may have had about shackling their more illustrious opponents were left in the dressing room as Henri Camara headed the first chance over the bar after two minutes, following good work by Gary Teale.

But Wigan suffered a blow just a minute later when goalkeeper Mike Pollitt hurt his hamstring and he was eventually replaced by John Filan on 14 minutes.

In between, Pollitt was a mere spectator when Rooney headed Gary Neville's clipped ball in to the box against the crossbar on seven minutes, after his persistence had earlier kept a United attack alive.

Park Ji-sung then saw his shot strike Arjan De Zeeuw's arm from close range, while Saha's drive was deflected off Henchoz before Pollitt limped off.

United were fuming on 17 minutes when Saha turned sharply from Park's pass on the edge of the box, only to be tripped by De Zeeuw, with referee Alan Wiley waving play on.

A powerful run from Rooney resulted in his lay-off being mis-kicked by Cristiano Ronaldo before Wigan responded with Jimmy Bullard shooting at Edwin van der Sar from distance.

A wonderfully open game witnessed its first goal on 33 minutes. De Zeeuw and Pascal Chimbonda collided in trying to deal with Saha's flick-on, Rooney picked up the loose ball and confidently steered his shot past Filan to end a run of 12 games without a goal.

Rooney could have had a second goal within a minute of the restart after Ryan Giggs galloped down the left wing to cross to the near post for the youngster to volley at Filan.

Wigan, though, recovered from the setback to finish the half strongly as United skipper Neville was given a torrid few minutes.

He sloppily gave the ball to Leighton Baines, whose cross was superbly headed away by Wes Brown, he was then fortunate to escape punishment for a handball and then failed to deal with the muscular threat of Jason Roberts, only for The Latics to be unable to take advantage.

The Latics continued that momentum into the early stages of the second half as Camara forced a smart save out of van der Sar after chasing a hopeful Bullard pass and outfoxing Rio Ferdinand.

But Paul Jewell's men were then undone by a three-goal blitz in the space of six minutes, with Saha scoring United's second on 55 minutes.

Giggs sprayed the ball out wide to Ronaldo, who fed the overlapping Neville. With Chimbonda snoozing at the far post, Neville's cross picked out the unmarked Saha, and though Filan blocked brilliantly, the ball ricocheted off the French striker and into the net.

Van der Sar had to punch the ball off the top of Roberts' head before Wigan gifted The Red Devils a third goal on 59 minutes. Henchoz's clearance was straight to Saha and he slipped in Ronaldo to drill a clean shot past Filan.

Wigan contributed further to their own downfall two minutes later as Giggs' free kick was flicked on by Saha, nodded down by Ferdinand and swept in by Rooney, with Paul Scharner preferring to appeal for offside, rather than get in a crucial block.

Rooney should probably have completed his hat-trick moments later when sent clear by Saha, but his impudent chip drifted just wide of the upright, while he then crossed for Park to poke a sliding effort wide.

The Latics, to their credit, never gave up and the lively Teale flashed a cross-cum-shot across the face of goal before letting rip from 25 yards out as they lost 4-0 to United for the second time this season.

Here's the link to see quite a few pictures from the final and the celebrations which followed: http://home.skysports.com/gallery.asp?cpid=&lid=6694

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 05:24:48 PM »
Hey! a player I actually know. Roony's on the England national team. (I have a soccer video game and England's my favorite!)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 12:51:30 AM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"
Hey! a player I actually know. Roony's on the England national team. (I have a soccer video game and England's my favorite!)

Yeah Rooney is very much a superstar in the sports world and is well on his way to becoming the best footballer in the world. I love Rooney and just can't say enough positives about him. Good to hear your favourite national team are England, it would be good to hear you say that during the World Cup in the summer, as USA are also in the competition.