Author Topic: A Question Posed By a Tennis Newcomer  (Read 2632 times)

Offline cOca-tOke

• Tennis Player
A Question Posed By a Tennis Newcomer
« on: February 21, 2006, 05:07:54 AM »
I'm 22 and I just recently found a passion for Tennis.  Do I still have a chance at becoming good enough to compete on a low level?  Most of the people here probably have been playing for over 10 years.  I wish I had gotten into the sport a long time ago.  Are there cases of great players that haven't been playing all their life?  Thank you.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:28:31 AM »
I do not think any age is too old.  There is a guy in my town with started when he was late 30's and the guy is extremely solid.  He plays 4.5 which is by no means low level tennis.

I would recommend lessons.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:23 AM »
I do not think any age is too old.  There is a guy in my town with started when he was late 30's and the guy is extremely solid.  He plays 4.5 which is by no means low level tennis.

I read that Todd Martin started late, something like age 20, and he managed to get as high as 4 in the world and two slam finals. But it is rare for something like that to happen. Incidentally, Martin was probably one of the best players never to win a slam (not the best though; that would be Rios).

Offline TommyM

• Tennis Player
    • http://www.tennismindgame.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:50:12 PM »
It depends mostly on your abilites. Have you had any sports experience before? Especially with sports with balls? If yes, then tennis shouldn't be a problem. If no - I hope you learn fast... :)
http://www.tennismindgame.com
Make your mind your best ally

Offline TennisStar05

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:57 PM »
Actualll i find that golfers and baseball players usually fair well in tennis, bcuz they already have the hand-eye coordination.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:07:28 PM »
Quote from: "TennisStar05"
Actualll i find that golfers and baseball players usually fair well in tennis, bcuz they already have the hand-eye coordination.

As far as hitting the ball. But u know that's not all tennis is about. You're talking about the two least physically demanding sports as compared to one of the most. I know u didn't mean anything by it, but as a devoted and serious player, I was offended by that comment. ;-()
Be the change that you seek.

Offline TennisStar05

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:14:17 PM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"

As far as hitting the ball. But u know that's not all tennis is about. You're talking about the two least physically demanding sports as compared to one of the most. I know u didn't mean anything by it, but as a devoted and serious player, I was offended by that comment. ;-()

Actually to be quite honest people think that baseball isnt very physically demanding, but actuall my Baseball Program at the high school is more vigourous than our tennis training program. My baseball program runs 4 miles a day, and we do atleast 20 sprints everyday, also 30 minute abs. Just like to clarify that, bcuz Baseball is physically demanding.

And yes i agree tennis isnt about just hitting the ball, but thats wut most beginners have the most trouble with.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 08:18:37 PM »
No offense to baseball, but I'm talking about in-game stuff. I know tennis practice/training isn't really that...big. But, tennis is mostly about getting/playing matches to practice, which is why it might seem less rigorous to train for. Baseball practice and conditioning its tough, but come on. There's like no movement during games which is why many people find it boring.

Offline TennisStar05

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 08:27:40 PM »
I just hate when people rag on Baseball, and hows its a p*ssy sport. But i play both tennis and baseball, and i like them both for different reasons. Ill agree on one thing tho, i cant stand to watch a baseball game, but playing is a different story.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 08:30:11 PM »
I just hate when people rag on Baseball, and hows its a p*ssy sport. But i play both tennis and baseball, and i like them both for different reasons. Ill agree on one thing tho, i cant stand to watch a baseball game, but playing is a different story.

I am in no way trying to disrespect baseball. People rag on tennis all the time! So I find it unclassy to rag on other sports. I'm sure playing it is fun, but I prefer sports that both players and spectators can enjoy.

Offline cOca-tOke

• Tennis Player
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 06:58:53 AM »
No offense to either of you, but you're both severely off-topic.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 01:04:10 PM »
Quote from: "cOca-tOke"
No offense to either of you, but you're both severely off-topic.

lol. it happens so much in all the threads, that it's generally accepted as a norm. :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 01:15:15 PM »
He laid the smack down on you yo.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline tenista

• Tennis Enthusiast
    • http://www.goladyjags.com
hardly
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 02:24:55 PM »
Quote from: "gm3106"

I read that Todd Martin started late, something like age 20, and he managed to get as high as 4 in the world and two slam finals. But it is rare for something like that to happen. Incidentally, Martin was probably one of the best players never to win a slam (not the best though; that would be Rios).

Now way that Todd Martin started at 20! He earned a tennis scholarship to Northwestern. I think I heard he started when he was 14-15, which is still late, but he had a fierce work ethic.
Tennis is Sinnet spelled backwards.