Author Topic: Hybrid string trouble  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« on: January 16, 2005, 05:00:48 PM »
Ok everybody, I have a question and its probably mostly for the people who have experience stringing and experimenting to answer. Here goes>

Ok, a while back I bought a reel of string > Wilson Stamina 16 gauge. Well, it turns out, that string is the worst string ever and I usually make it like 2 hours with it before it breaks. So its just kinda been sitting up in my closet -- only being used when I break too many strings mid-tournament and need something strung up for a match or so.

I had a brilliant idea.

Ok, I like to play with Prince Problend. I can manage with the loss of power and the durability makes me very very happy. So, I figured -- Would it be the same concept if I bought a reel of Kevlar string and had my stringer do Kevlar for my mains and use the Wilson Stamina for my crosses? Er would that just be a recipe for disaster?

Help me out, please  :smoke:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 05:26:17 PM »
I have seen people do those kinds of things.  You may wish to e-mail Charlie at Jade Tennis, he is the Tennis4you Equipment expert, he usually gets back to people pretty quickly.  netvac@yahoo.com is his e-mail.

Paul from Maranatha Tennis knows strings really well to, maybe he will see this post and reply with his thoughts.  I am probably the wrong guy to answer that question...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 05:56:12 PM »
How can you do through so-called durability strings in 2 hours?  ;;)   Mine last all summer.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 05:58:06 PM »
Strings will be strings.  I knock through some very quickly.  If you are a 4.0 or above, I say after 20 hours of play u cut those bad boys out of their.  String loses it's tension, and you do not get that back.  Heat will cause them to lose tension.  So NEVER NEVER NEVER leave those racquets in the trunk of your car.  it is hot enough on the court!
Scott Baker

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 06:41:28 PM »
Speaking of strings, the Big Banger on my Prostaff have static on them after i hit a lot of topspin.  Freaky stuff.  (its made of polyesther)
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 07:16:51 PM »
I just took my radical to the stringer to get Big Banger in it. I got it strung at mid-tensino tho and I have a feeling that's gonna be a mistake.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 07:36:17 PM »
Depends, how high were they before?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 10:31:06 PM »
Before, they were mid tension also. But the big banger package recommended I string it 10% lower than usual. So I dunno....I didnt realize what I'd done till after it was strung lol oh well. I hear the durability is gr8 so if it lasts and feels alright, I'll stick w. it and play around w. the tensions later.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 05:11:32 PM »
it does lose tension pretty quick, or so they say.  I now have Alu on both my rackets (traded my Radical for a Hyper Pro Staff 6.0) and strung barely above minimum.  There is still load of control.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline maranatha tennis

• Tennis Enthusiast
    • http://www.maranathatennis2000.com
re
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 10:01:04 PM »
Okay Scott...

My two cents. The Prince Pro Blend was great string, Kevlar and Prince Syngut soft, very good combo. (By the way my experience with Stamina was the same, not very good for durability. I get strings sent to me all the time and have tried most of them.

But...my problem with Kevlar was just the stiffness and it did start to give me arm problems. I went for a time with the same string in very thin Kevlar, they used to call it thin blend and was made by Ashaway. This gave great "bite" on the ball but you lost some durability with the thinner gauge. But if the arm and shoulders hold up, hey this may be a combo for you!

Kevlar with tear through the stamina but if the are still good you can just remove the Stamina and restring crosses. I have done this for myself. I have never done it for anyone else.

Polyester is also a way to go for durabilty, but you lose such feel. Not a big fan of so called durable strings. But I string so durability isn't an issue. I can always drag more frames to the court. I may have ten racquets of the frames I use now so keeping some strung isn't a problem.

Right now I have two strung with gut and one with Prince XX Lightning and one with Babolat syngut. There are days when gut doesn't work or I may save the gut for a real match. I may only be one more hit away from snapping the one gut and the other hasn't been hit with.

I talk too much. Have a nice day.

Paul S

Hey Scott... nearly 80 here today! How is your weather.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 10:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Paul. I really appreciate it...

I've got Big Banger in my stick right now and I'm gonna see how that works out. I might switch to Polyesters and see how they work for me as far as durability is conerned becuz I'm starting to get concerned that my joints are going to be at risk if I keep it up with Problend.

Anyone heard anything good about Head Fibergel?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 10:11:34 PM »
Paul, the weather sucks.  0 degrees at least!
Scott Baker

Offline maranatha tennis

• Tennis Enthusiast
re
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 10:13:12 PM »
sunny and nice for another couple months, the men will be here a week earlier at the end of February, come for the tourney Scott!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 10:13:53 PM »
If only...  Last time I was in AZ I lost 2 matches in a row.  :(
Scott Baker

Offline maranatha tennis

• Tennis Enthusiast
re
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 10:25:45 PM »
You will lose more than that if you come here! :))

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Hybrid string trouble
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 02:45:02 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
Thanks for the info Paul. I really appreciate it...

I've got Big Banger in my stick right now and I'm gonna see how that works out. I might switch to Polyesters and see how they work for me as far as durability is conerned becuz I'm starting to get concerned that my joints are going to be at risk if I keep it up with Problend.

Anyone heard anything good about Head Fibergel?

Fibergel is basically for people with are problems.

Do you have access to a stringer?  If so you might want to a try a Big Banger/syngut (crosses) combo.  It's cheaper, more feel and almost as durable (if u snap mains most of the time).
official blogger

tennisconnected.com