Author Topic: Interesting comments in Mike Agassi's book  (Read 1831 times)

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Interesting comments in Mike Agassi's book
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:00:52 AM »
In the book, Mike Agassi claims that his son deliberately lost grand salm matches- recent ones too. He claims that his son 'tanked' the infamous 'Clinton' match at the 2001 French Open QF in order to see a member of his staff who had only 24 hours to live. After takling the first set 6-1 against Sebastien Grosjean, Agassi was informed of his friend's condition from the stand and, coinciidentally, Bill Clinton turned up so evryone thought that the former president's arrival was responsible for Agassi's very sudden distraction. Mike Agassi's comments shed light on one of the most bizzare tennis matches of all time: after winning the first set 6-1, Agassi lost 1-6 1-6  3-6.

Agassi's father also claimes that Andre 'shanked' his match against Arnaud Clement in the 2nd Round of the 2000 US Open in order to be with his mother who had been diagnosed with cancer. That was another strange one, because it's hard to believe that Clement could beat Agassi in a grand slam in straight sets if Andre was trying as hard as possible.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 09:03:51 AM »
Something I forgot to add was that he also said that whenever Andre loses early on in a grand slam, there is usually a good reason for it.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 09:07:24 AM »
lol, that is pretty interesting.  I am not sure how to soak that all in.  One part of me wants to believe it, the other part of me wants to think it is an excuse book.

How is the book overall though?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 09:49:29 AM »
The book contains lots of interesting stuff:

- Mike Agassi says that his son would have won more slams had he adopted the serve volley style he advocated, but that Nick Bolletieri destroyed his plans by making Agassi camp out at the baseline in the style of other Bolletierri players like Courier, Chang and Seles.

- He often quarreled with Brad Gilbert saying that Gilbert did not want to improve Andre's serve. Mike says that Andre's serve could have been improved by changing to a smaller racket size which would have moved through the air quicker. On this point, I think I'm with Gilbert and Andre cause they know best.

-Mike Agassi makes lots of interesting points about how difficult it was, as an Iranian, to try and bring his kids through USTA tournmants. He says he faced some discriination because of his race, and even claims that his children were the victims of sabotage e.g. stolen rackets.

Although Mike Agassi does seem to have a bit of a warped perspective on things, you have to admire some of the things he said about his son. Mike says that he would not have been ashamed had Andre retired at the age of 27 when his rankng slipped to 141 because he'd already achieved more than what he had hoped for his son.

He was full of admiration for the way Andre played challengers to claw his way back up the rankings, saying a lesser man would simply have retired.

He says that he doesn't expect Andre to retire anytime soon.

Although he's had some troubled relations with his son, they are reconciled now and I did not detect a tone of bitterness in his book.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 10:13:30 AM »
Interesting, is it a long book?  I should get my hands on it.
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 10:13:46 AM »
The serve and volley allegation sounds a bit off.  I don't know about the big racket slowing down his serve thing either.  Most modern serve and volleyers have been pretty tall.  I think Agassi's game suits his body type much better than a serve and volley style would have.  

And is it true about smaller rackets resulting in bigger serves?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 10:16:47 AM »
I doubt it.  I wouldn't think a smaller racquet would help with that, I would think it would do the opposite.

And yeah, the S&V thing seems weird, but welcome to the life of a tennis pros dad.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 10:18:34 AM »
No it's not a long book, about 165 pages.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 10:22:19 AM »
I think the idea behind the smaller racket thing was that Andre used an oversized racket, whereas all the big servers, such as Sampras and Ivanisevic used midsized ones. But you could argue that their powerful serves were due to their height and perfect technique- Andre has none of these attributes when it comes to serving.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »
Well, he doesn't have the height, but his form is good.  And in the last few years he has started doing some good damage with that serve.  I think it is slightly under rated.
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 10:48:44 AM »
His serve is not a preemptive weapon like those of Pete, Roddick, and Goran.  It's really more like Rafter's was.  It's more a stiff jab, meant to provoke the type of return that Agassi could take advantage of.  He's got a nasty kick serve to the ad side.  In general, his philosophy towards serving seems to be that of somebody perpetually playing on clay.  

Hewitt's serve has been awfully sick lately.  He's been serving aces like mad.  It's interesting to see that even a former number 1 player can improve a part of their game so drastically.  He's the same height as Agassi but his motion is much more fluid, and you can see that there's room within that motion for more pace.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 01:41:41 PM »
Its true that his serve is underated, he usually finishes very high in the atp stats for service games held and breakpoints saved, usually top 3 (I looked for last year's stats to post the link, but the atp website has taken them off and put this year's stats on, which is completely pointless because it has only just started). What Agassi does so well is to use his serve to set up the point on his terms, the amount of times he serves to an oppnents backhand  in order to hit a forehand is ridiculous - his opponents know its coming but can do nothing.

Over the last 3 or 4 years, his first serve return percentage has dropped but the atp website usually lists him first or second in terms of second serves returned (usually about 57 or 58%). A lot of players have commented, 'Andre just doesn't miss second serve returns'. Hewitt is usually top of the 1st serve return percentage but, strangely, lmuch lower on second serves.