Author Topic: Kusnetzova 'failed drug test'  (Read 2526 times)

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Kusnetzova 'failed drug test'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »
Actually, what I find interesting about this is the fact that the test was failed at an exhibition tournament during the off-season. I read in another article about this case that the tests conducted at this tournament were not expected by the players (probably because its an exhibition). Its often been said that some players attempt to 'beat the system' by using performance enhancers during the off seasons because they are less likely to be tested. Not saying that this is what Kuznetsova has done- I'm just speculating, but it is interesting.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 04:05:27 PM »
Oh, I find it very interesting.  What happened to Korda when he got busted?  Did they strip a title from him?  I forget...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 04:13:45 PM »
No he just got banned, but I bet Rios wished they'd have stripped that AO title from him, cause that was around the same time as Korda got busted. It's unbelievable that Korda won that match.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 04:15:59 PM »
Did he beat Rios for that title?  Did Rios ever win a slam title?
Scott Baker

Offline shtexas

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »
Korda did beat Rios at the '98 AO. Korda tested positive for nandrolone, I believe, at Wimbledon later that year. His test was clean at the AO, so losing the title was never under consideration. Rios never won a major.

What gm3106 posted is very true. However, my understanding is this was ephedrine that showed up. It is in cold medicines. I believe it is banned because it can give an immediate and temporary jolt in performance. I don't think it can benefit a player longterm. I remember when that gymnast, Raducan (?), was stripped of her gold medal because of ephedrine. She had a cold and  took cold medicine during the all-around competition, but they let her keep her other gold medal for the team competition, because that test was clean. Therefore, the benefit must be very short-lived, unlike anabolic steroids.

What would be the purpose of Kuznetsova needing an extra jolt at an exhibition? I bet she had a cold. The stuff would be out of her system quickly, sort of like caffeine, which I believe high doses of that are also banned.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 05:08:51 PM »
I hope she is deemed as "clean" but like McIll says, it is probably common to use drugs for the pros.
Scott Baker

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »
From what I have heard, baseball has a huge problem with players using stimulants right before a game. This gives them extra energy for the game. It is probably out of their system quickly, so would not show up on a test. This is why athletes in other sports are tested right after their event or match so they can make sure they didn't use anything to gain an unfair advantage for their event or match.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 05:35:47 PM »
Interesting.  I didn;t realize yo ucould get stuff to pass through you so fast.
Scott Baker

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 06:36:53 PM »
CHEATER!!! CHEATER!!! CHEATER!!!

TAKE BACK HER U.S. OPEN TROPHY!!!

BAN HER FROM THE WTA TOUR FOR LIFE!!!

CHEATERS SUCK!!!!!! SUCK!!@$#@$@#$@#

mayjoinyoursite

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 08:06:41 PM »
I guess it depends on the substance. Caffeine can pass through relatively fast. I imagine ephedra could too, since you have to take cold medicine continually for it to work. Obviously, other substances, like steroids, don't pass through your system as quickly.

Offline shtexas

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 09:33:43 PM »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 10:09:36 PM »
shtexas,

Great Article, thx for posting!!!
Scott Baker

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 12:40:13 PM »
I think it's pathetic that Claude Eerdekens spilled the beans before talking to the players or the tennis ruling bodies. Maybe he's looking for attention now that Belgium have nothing to show for with Justine and Kim out of the spotlight. As for Kim getting dropped by Fila, how fitting. She wouldn't participate in the Olympics because she wants to support her clothing sponsor. Too bad Fila doesn't feel the same about her.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 12:59:48 PM »
Well, it is more interesting that one party says it is not an illegal substance and he says that it is and that he will not apologize.  Oh well.  It will be interesting to see if she can keep her focus on the court these next 2 weeks.
Scott Baker

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 03:21:52 PM »
It is illegal only if taken in competition, because you can acheive an advantage. Taken out of competition, what advantage do you get? There are no longterm benefits. In fact, ephedrine can be dangerous.