Author Topic: Agassi vs Federer  (Read 5216 times)

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Agassi vs Federer
« on: January 17, 2005, 07:40:04 PM »
I know it's way to early to talk about this possible match up.  However, it is the most anticipated match up at the AusOpen this year.  Agassi always provides classics when he comes up against the big guns.

Can Andre, the all time great AusOpen player, beat Federer even though Federer is hot?  I am looking forward to this matchup, and even though like the rest of the world I picked Fed to win the tournament, I think Andre can take Fed at the AusOpen if he is 100%...

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 08:30:44 PM »
What round would Agassi and Federer meet if he advanced enough?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 08:31:06 PM »
I think he can keep it close, if he does, I would say it is anyones ball game.  If Fed jumps ahead, I would say it is lights out for AA.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 09:22:41 PM »
Quarterfinals I believe, Gary.

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »
They were the second and third matches of day 1 on Rod Laver Arena.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 12:35:05 AM »
In that one article that guy said Federer's weakness is high looping shots to his backhand.  Therefor, he theorized, a lefty like Nadal might be well equipped to take advantage of this weakness, which is only a weakness relatively speaking.

Anyway, Agassi has arguably the best backhand in tennis.  He's a machine when hitting crosscourt backhands.  If any righty could break down Federer's backhand side it's Agassi.  I heard the Aussie courts are pretty slow with a lot of "bite," so balls with heavy spin really take off upon contact.  If he can test Roger's patience by constantly hitting to that side, who knows?  

It's probably not a coincidence that Marat and Hewitt also have two of the best two handed backhands in the game and are cited as being the other two biggest threats to Roger's cakewalk.  Marat especially with his heighth should be able to test Federer's backhand.  Federer's forehand is just deadly.  If anybody's to beat or at least test Roger I bet the post match statistics will show that he missed a lot of backhands.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »
I just dont see an injured and aging Agassi posing much of an obstacle.   Federer will crush him if they play.   Agassi wont have the wind and crowd in his favor to the extent he had at the U.S open.   He will be put back in his place.   Rogi's biggest threats are Hewitt and Roddick.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 04:36:39 PM »
From Fed's point of view, his biggest threat is his next opponent. I think he's very smart not looking ahead and taking it one match at a time. You can lose focus if you look ahead and not what's infront of you.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 05:08:52 PM »
He will be put back in his place. Rogi's biggest threats are Hewitt and Roddick.

Hmm...you really think that Agassi doesnt have as much influence at the Australian Open? Sure, he doesnt have the crowd or the win but the high bouncing AO courts suit his game more than Federer's. Atop that, Agassi is like the king of the Australian Open -- The Aussie's practically love him as their own. He's MORE dangerous here than anywhere else, I'd say. Check the record...

Also, you really think Lleyton Hewitt is a threat? Let me remind you that the last 3 times they've played the scores are as follows with Federer winning each time: 6-3 6-2 FED, 6-3 6-4 FED, 6-0 7-6 6-0 FED. Two bagels? That's pathetic.....

The last 2 times Fed has played Roddick the scores are as follows with Federer winning each time: 6-4 6-0 FED, 7-5 6-3. Yet another bageled set.

Last time Federer played Agass: 6 3   2 6   7 5   3 6   6 3. You do the math and tell me who's more dangerous against Roger... :whistle:

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 05:30:12 PM »
Arcforce......................

://  my friend   ://
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Anonymous

Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 05:31:17 PM »
I agree with those who think Andre will not be much threat to Roger.   The rebound ace suits Roger just fine as well.   Agassi played his best tennis in their last two matches, while Roger was so sluggish, but Roger was able to win.   That is as close as he can come.

Andre is injured and getting older.  He shouldnt even have entered the event with his injury but is delusional that he can beat Federer even with an injury.   His success there is due partially to some puffball draws   He doesnt get that this year and has some tough opponents with big serves even before playing Roger.   If he gets play Roger, he will be lucky to have even a 7-5 set.  He will watch Roger hit forehand winners all day.

Andy gave Roger a good match last weekend even though Roger was playing well.   Lleyton doesnt have enough power.   Safin if he is playing well is also a threat.   Andy or Marat will be the big threat, when he plays Marat in the semis, and if he plays Andy in the final it should be interesting.

Mc ill Guest

Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »
I don't see Agassi's age being a detriment at all.  1) Agassi is as fit as he's ever been.  He may have lost a step but his game's never been about running down stuff and playing defensively.  If speed is even an issue for him during a match, it means things are going wrong.  2) He's still one of the best ball strikers in the game, and he's only gotten smarter and smarter.  He's as effective now as ever.  He has a simple, effective style that stems from a mature outlook on the game.  In this regard, his age actually HELPS him.  Agassi is a freak.  We may never see a player again who's better at 35 than he was at 25.    

2004  US Open
Federer
6 3    2 6    7 5    3 6    6 3  

2004  Indian Wells AMS
Federer
4 6    6 3    6 4            

Those are the match scores between Federer and Agassi since Roger's hit his stride.  Agassi is a player that can give Roger problems even when Roger's playing near or at his best.  Agassi can really punish Roger's backhand side, plus Roger's short, angled slice approach shots don't bother Agassi as much because nobody can rip the ball early off the backhand like Andre can.  This shot causes fits in most other people.  

Hewitt presents problems to Roger for pretty much the same reasons.  He's not as relentlessly forceful off the ground as Agassi is but he makes up for it in speed and a better serve.  If Hewitt is serving well even against Federer the set won't really begin until the tie-breaker, and who knows what can happen there.  

Agassi and Hewitt are two people who respect Roger's game but don't FEAR it.  They're going to go out there ready to win.  I don't even think Safin feels that way.  And out of the two, I think Hewitt is even less afraid of Roger than Agassi.  

So we'll see.  I think Agassi, Hewitt, and Safin can all give Roger trouble.  Recent past results prove this.

Then again, if Roger is on fire, who the hell knows!?  Nobody will be surprised if he just rips everybody.  In awe, yes.  Surprised, probably not.  Just saying that I think the possibilities for this tournament is much more interesting than some here do.  I don't think it's an entirely foregone.      

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 08:31:36 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Andre is injured and getting older.  He shouldnt even have entered the event with his injury but is delusional that he can beat Federer even with an injury.   His success there is due partially to some puffball draws   He doesnt get that this year and has some tough opponents with big serves even before playing Roger.   If he gets play Roger, he will be lucky to have even a 7-5 set.  He will watch Roger hit forehand winners all day.

We shall see, but just in case I'd like you to practice something for me.....ready?

OPEN MOUTH

INSERT FOOT!

Agassi can win the whole thing....I believe it.  ://
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 08:35:55 AM »
:Boxing:

I think Agassi can win it all too, but my money is on Federer.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 09:10:15 AM »
I think Federer is still the overwhelming favorite, but I also think Agassi is capable of beating Federer.  If conditions aren't perfect, and if Agassi is on fire, and Federer is merely playing good, who knows?  Ditto for Hewitt and Safin.  They each have something personal at stake here...

Safin:  suffered one of the most improbable upsets in a Grand Slam final here... he could have gotten rid of the one-Slam wonder tag, instead, he proved he could be a mental case even in a Grand Slam final... winning here would be a sign that maybe he's conquering his demons...

Hewitt:  duh... he's Australian, and he wants to win his homeland's biggest tournee... he's won Wimbledon, he's won the Masters Cup, he's won the US Open, the Aussie Open is the last major tournament he realistically has a chance of winning that he hasn't won yet...

Agassi:  he wants to prove that he can still win Majors, and every Slam he plays he knows it may be the last time he plays there... you know he wants to go out with a bang...

Interesting thought is what would happen if Hewitt wins this tournament.  Will he put all of his efforts into winning the French?  Will he dedicate his whole year to winning the one Slam that will give him all four trophies?  I think he would.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 01:39:48 PM »
Agassi could have a chance against Federer, but it would be reliant on Federer having a somewhat "sluggish" day and Agassi playing lights out, which is what happened in their last two matches.   Under these conditions, I believe Federer would have a good chance to win, and Agassi would have a reasonable chance to win, there would be alot of suspense to be certain.   In the Masters final of last year we all saw what Federer at his best will do to Agassi.   Being that he struggled somewhat in their last two meetings, I would not be surprised at all to see vintage Federer show up for this next meeting.  I am sure he wants to redeem his dissapointing performances in their last two meetings, he has alot of pride in himself and his performance.    It will be interesting to see if Federer plays down enough to make it a close match or not.

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 05:55:02 PM »
I think the Australian Open suites Agassi more then it does Federer, and the opposite at the US Open which is a faster surface.  

Let's take Pete vs Andre.  Andre beat Pete at the Australian Open in 2 very big matches which you could see Pete wanted to win very badly.  

Pete beat Andre in all their matches at the USOpen, suggesting that Andre was better on hard court slow vs hard court fast.  

Now if Andre can beat one of the top 3 players of all time in their prime at the AusOpen, surely he can beat Federer.

I hope the collide...

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 07:51:44 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Federer is one of the three best players of all time.   :lmao:

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
Quote from: "frankfontaine"
I think the Australian Open suites Agassi more then it does Federer, and the opposite at the US Open which is a faster surface.  

Let's take Pete vs Andre.  Andre beat Pete at the Australian Open in 2 very big matches which you could see Pete wanted to win very badly.  

Pete beat Andre in all their matches at the USOpen, suggesting that Andre was better on hard court slow vs hard court fast.  

Now if Andre can beat one of the top 3 players of all time in their prime at the AusOpen, surely he can beat Federer.

I hope the collide...

Keep in mind Sampras was dealing with a personal tragedy in 95, and was injured in 2000.   That is not to take anything away from Agassi's wins which were tremendous, but just not to say had they played a couple more times Agassi neccessarily would have won those as well.

By the same token Agassi had some bad luck at the U.S open.   Playing a very late match in 95 before the final, a very physical match with Becker, not enough time to recuperate.   Same in 2002 with Hewitt.

So perhaps the head to heads had alot to do with circumstances, not the extreme difference in relative abilitys between the two surfaces.

Secondly although Federer has not been around long enough to be "one of the top few players of all time" yet that does not mean his level of tennis is not as great as the top few players of all time in their primes, in his current form.   I believe it is.   In fact Federer's ground game is much better than Sampras's in my opinon which could make him a tougher opponent, in many ways than Sampras in some ways.    Sampras had to charge at every opportunity to have a chance, Federer does not.   Also Federer plays the return games with full intensity throughout a set, while Sampras went through some of them lazily at times.

Thirdly Agassi is not really "in his prime".    I would never suggest Agassi is better now than he was in 95 and 2000, although he is alot better than 96, 97, 98, but he didnt come close to winning those years.
Plus he potentially is injured, and it may show up when he plays a real oppenent who actually puts some power on his shots.   No disrespect to one-year top-tenner Schuettler and one-time slam finalist Schuettler but he hits very moderate(not weak just not puncuating in any way) shots, with a rather weak serve(he seemed to have trouble getting it over the net at times, how he looked pre-2003) and no net game, and the only reason he might be in the top 30 for years to come is great determination and fight which will get him through many a weaker-willed opponent or fellow weaponless/limited type players.    It will be interesting to see how his injury holds up if he is forced to exert himself against a more foreful player in the coming rounds.

Overall I just dont see Agassi or anyone likely beating Federer.   That being said if Agassi does beat Federer I hope he takes the title.   I will be a bit upset with him(I am a Roger fan I admit)but not enough to not cheer for him to keep Hewitt and Roddick from that title.   I believe the winner of that match will win the tournament, personally I believe that will beat Rogi, but if not it will be Agassi.

Offline philip

• Tennis Enthusiast
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 04:43:19 PM »
I reckon Agassi could well beat him.  ;-()