Author Topic: Agassi vs Federer  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »
"Could", but we will hopefully see.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline philip

• Tennis Enthusiast
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 01:04:25 AM »
Hehe. I think he could but it's unlikely.  ;>)

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 02:48:42 AM »
Agassi is definitely a better player now than he was in 1995. He is fitter now and serves much better and has an unbelievable amount of experience, there are so many situations he has been in before that allow him to make correct decisions. However, I don't think he is better now than he was in 1999-2000 when he reached all four grand slam finals in a row, winning three of them with only Sampras' 'walk on water' performance stopping him in the final of Wimbledon.

Other good periods of Agassi play include:

Early 2001: Winning the AO and Indian wells and Miami. He was the most consistent performer in the slams this year.

2002-2003: Reached two gramd slam finals in a row, the USO and the AO, winning one of them.

I doubt that Agassi is better now than he was in these times, mainly because of the restricted movement caused by his recurrinf hip injury.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 07:20:41 AM »
Federer stuggled some last night to find his game, could be an opening for some players.
Scott Baker

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 07:34:07 AM »
meanwhile agassi took down dent in 3 sets.....says he's feeling really good. Double J is next....this should be an interesting match....they've never played before.
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 07:53:38 AM »
JJ's backhand is a bit suspect.  The matches I've seen him, he's gone for huge shots off his forehand, and they were mostly falling in.  Don't know if that side breaks down.  He couldn't really create off the backhand side, and you'd think Agassi should be able to test it.  

Yeah, if they play during the day it'll help Agassi a lot.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 08:17:00 AM »
JJ's backhand is definitely going to be tested because Agassi loves going crosscourt with his two handed backhand.

In some ways I think it was easier for Agassi to play JJ than Lopez because Lopez is lefthanded and has a dangerous forehand, which cancels out Agassi's strength of going croos court with the backhand. This was the same problem Agassi experienced against Rios (Rios won their series 2-1, with Agassi's only win coming when Rios retired at 1 set all during the SF of ther 2002 Miami Masters Series), he simply couldn't gain an advantage by going crosscourt because those shots went to Rios' strength.

Not only that, Lopez has a pretty dangerous serve- he hit about the same number of aces as JJ during the 4 hour epic. Lopez is one to watch out for, a future top 10 player I reckon on the basis of his play today.

Offline sraj87

• Tennis Player
Don't underestimate JJ
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »
This guy is basically a 9/10 Andy Roddick (Does that make sense?), with nearly as good a serve and a forehand around 95% as potent as Roddick's. We saw how good his forehand could be in his match against Roddick at the US Open. His backhand is solid. I don't think he will win, simply because he is going to be fatigued from his marathon against Lopez, and Agassi is on his best surface. He will test Agassi, but I expect Agassi to pull through in 4 sets.

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 08:21:51 PM »
Double J is a dangerous player and he has been doing well and has won in Adelaide.  This will be a real test for Andre, and if Andre wins, it'll likely be in 3 sets.  However, Andre did beat Dent, who plays a simular game to JJ.  I'm still hoping for an Andre vs Federer quarter, to make this years AusOpen a memerable one.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2005, 03:29:46 AM »
JJ and Dent aren't all that similar.  They're both big, and big servers, but JJ is a whole lot better off the ground, and he comes in when he needs to, not as a matter of policy.  Unless my memory is fudged, I don't recall JJ being a serve and volleyer.  

I also remember his backhand being "solid," like stated above, but the technique wasn't looking all that smooth.  I wonder if Agassi can deconstruct that thang.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2005, 08:32:16 AM »
I find Johanssons forehand better than Roddicks.   Roddicks forehand is way overrated, it is not even close to the best in the game as it potrayed.   Roger Federer has by far the best overall forehand, and Johanssons is bigger than Roddicks.    The reason Andy owns him is he moves so much better and is mentally a better competitor.  Johansson is even more limited as a tennis player.

In any case it is such a shame Andre and Andy have to play in the quarters.    Look at the mickey mouse draws Roddick and Safin have into the semis, and yet one of these two greats Andre and Roger, who both would likely beat Roddick or Safin in straight sets here has to go out atleast a round sooner than both Roddick and Safin who have to play nobody to get to the semis is so unfair.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2005, 09:17:23 AM »
Agassi in straight sets.

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2005, 09:43:13 AM »
We got one quarter that we are all waiting for...  Too bad the other Johanson didn't win, or we would have had Safin vs Johanson rematch.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2005, 10:00:09 AM »
I think Safin would of cruuuuuuuushed him this time.  I am still in disbelief that Safin lost the AO final before to him.
Scott Baker

Offline sraj87

• Tennis Player
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2005, 11:52:58 AM »
Kittens- I highly doubt that Agassi could straight-set Roddick or Safin

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2005, 12:06:18 PM »
I think its very likely that Agassi could straight set Roddick -- Doubt if he could do it against Safin.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2005, 12:08:14 PM »
If Agassi pulled 3 straight on Roddick I am betting there would be some tie-breakers in there.  If those two clashed, I guess I would give the slight edge to Agassi if he hasn't played too many long matches.  But Roddick is the #2 seed for a reason, he has game.  But this is Agassi's home (so it seems) and that is why I give him the edge.  At the US Open, I might have to flip a coin to call it.
Scott Baker

Offline frankfontaine

• Tennis Player
Agassi vs Federer
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2005, 06:57:43 PM »
well... we got what we wished for.  i'm hoping for a great match.

unfortunetly it might be the changing of the guards type of match.
If Fed wins, the torch will be officially passed...

i'm not ready for it... agassi, do it for us old guys - one more time.
tennis is not the same without you and pete around.