Author Topic: slump  (Read 1621 times)

Offline guitarandtennis

• Tennis Player
slump
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:55:53 PM »
Hello, as my high school matches have begun I cannot play my normal game.  In order to rank the team from 1-7 for varsity spots we play challenge matches against teammates.  Last year I was at the #2 spot but the senior left so I would have taken #1.  Unfortunately I am in a slump and players that I normally beat easily have seem to beat me.  I am stuck playing at a much lower spot.  I know I am the better player but can never perform well in the challenge matches.  My strokes are completely off and my footwork is terrible.  Does anyone of any suggestions?  Any advice possible would be fantastic.  Thanks in advance.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
slump
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »
I think it's a mental thing. I have that problem of losing (or barely winning) to players that shouldn't even get games off of me. I bet that ur one of those people who only play ur best against really good players. And then when ur faced w/ a week player, the pressure builds up b/c u're expected to win; and then if u lose, it's like the worst thing in the wolrd and it carries on into your other matches. that's how I am on my school team. Anyways, It pretty much comes down to being match tough. Play a lot of matches. What I found to work (especially today) against lower players is slicing. They tend to hit short balls to u and so topspin isn't the best choice unless ur at the proper hitting position. So slice like crazy! and also, u have to realize their weeknesses from the beginning. Usually against lower players, their miss**t in the warmups will be the miss**t of all the match. So aiming there will help u finnish the match quicker. I hope that helped.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
slump
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 04:47:28 PM »
First off, welcome to the forums!!!

I have written an article about playing weaker players before.  It is nothing long, I am not referring you to a book.  See if this helps:  http://www.tennis4you.com/lesson-lounge/tennis4you/how-to-play/playing-worse-players.htm

My first question is, when was the last time you took 1-2 days off of tennis to just rest your brain from the game?  Sometimes just a day or two off to think about things can help a lot.

Secondly, if I am not playing well, be it that day or a slump as you are in, try to stick to the basics!  Do not aim for lines, give yourself more room for error.  If you are struggling with the easy stuff then going for the more difficult shots and placement will just get you in trouble.  Stick to basics, get your consistancy back up there and hopefully the rest will follow.

Keep us up to date.  I hope we can be of some help!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline guitarandtennis

• Tennis Player
slump
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:11:23 PM »
thanks for the help... you are right on point.

Offline guitarandtennis

• Tennis Player
slump
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 05:28:23 PM »
I hope that I am officially out of my slump.  I played today and won.  I was feeling pretty good even though my serve was completely off and thats normally my weapon.  I tried my best to just make sure I would return the opponents serve then set my self up after that.  I didn't come to the net much and I usually do that all the time so I don't know if I should use the same stradegy against the next guy which I play soon.  Thanks to those who helped me with the situation.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
slump
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:10:30 PM »
No problemo.  We all have our ups and downs.  Just remember to weather the storm, it will always get better.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
slump
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »
I think u mean "After every storm, a rainbow emerges..." ;)
Be the change that you seek.

Offline guitarandtennis

• Tennis Player
slump
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »
just to keep an update... I won to another person so I am moving back to where I should be... #1 on our team.  Just one more person to go and I actually think that I already beat my main competition.  I think that my head game is much better and I corrected my forehand and now its more consistant, powerful, and accurate.  I just started hitting the ball closer to my body rather than my arm being more extended.

Offline NJtennis11

• Tennis God
slump
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 01:54:06 PM »
What part of New Jersey are you?

Offline guitarandtennis

• Tennis Player
slump
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 04:43:42 PM »
Brick Township Area