Author Topic: blisters on my thumb...:S  (Read 1289 times)

Offline imkonadian88

• Tennis Enthusiast
blisters on my thumb...:S
« on: March 25, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
hi tennis lovers,

i was practicing my serves today for about two hours. I used about two shopping carts full of tennis balls. yes i am crazy about tennis. i would give anything to have an awesome serve, except for any body parts, because then  i won't be able to play tennis anymore :[ and that is NOT a good thing for me.

after the practice, i found that i had caused myself a blister on my serving hand's thumb, on the inside where your grip is.

is this supposed to happen? if not, how can i fix it? i am currently trying to get my momentum going in my serves so that it has more speed and power.

and yes, i practiced alone, but it was still fun.

-cathy//
move it.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 10:50:00 PM »
welcome to the boards. Probably all u need to do is change ur grip tape to a softer one. Right now, I'm using soft-shock system from wilson that has a spounge band strip infused into it so it's like holding air for me. Plus, I only have to change it like every couple months.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 07:38:22 AM »
If you are not use to doing anything like hitting that many serves in a row it is bound to happen.  I use to lift a lot of weights back in high school and college and my hands were toughened up pretty well.  But no since I have been out of college I haven;t had time to life so my hands get blisters if I play too much tennis too fast.  I use medical tape ($2.00 at Walmart) if I feel like my hand is starting to hurt and may get blisters.  The medical tape is great unless your blister is somewhere that you cannot just wrap the tape around the finger so it will stay.

Bottom line... If you are not use to doing something so many times you run the risk of getting blisters.  A softer grip might help a little, but not enough, at least for me.  If the racquet is slightly turning in your hand that grip will really rub the same area over and over again and blisters are inevitable at that point...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 08:42:46 AM »
Could be an indication your racket handle is too small.  I would suggest moving up if you also have trouble with consistancy on your ground strokes.  I never thought it was relevent since Fed, Safin and co. use realy small grips (4 3/8 or lower) but since using 5/8 my game has improved tenfold.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 12:42:35 PM »
Or u could just put a ton of overgrip to make the handle thicker. I use two grip tapes.
Be the change that you seek.