Author Topic: Sportsmanship or not  (Read 10683 times)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Sportsmanship or not
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
Quote from: "ChrisTaylor1987"

And why does Maria have to oblige with what people want to see?, she is on the court to win matches and tournaments not to be the winner of a popularity contest. The majority of players couldn't really give a damn about what the crowd expect them to do, so why should Maria do what the crowd and supporters wanted to see from her?

U are just contradicting urself here. For example, in one of the Serena threads, U would sometimes use the defense that Serena needs to play b/c her fans want to see her and blaa blaa blaa. Now all of a sudden, it's a different case just b/c it's Sharapova? The issue w/ Serena is off court, whereas Maria's is on court. And don't give me any bulls**t about Sharapova not trying to win a popularity contest when u know damn well that she is.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Sportsmanship or not
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2006, 12:36:36 AM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"

And why does Maria have to oblige with what people want to see?, she is on the court to win matches and tournaments not to be the winner of a popularity contest. The majority of players couldn't really give a damn about what the crowd expect them to do, so why should Maria do what the crowd and supporters wanted to see from her?

U are just contradicting urself here. For example, in one of the Serena threads, U would sometimes use the defense that Serena needs to play b/c her fans want to see her and blaa blaa blaa. Now all of a sudden, it's a different case just b/c it's Sharapova? The issue w/ Serena is off court, whereas Maria's is on court. And don't give me any bulls**t about Sharapova not trying to win a popularity contest when u know damn well that she is.

No she is trying to win tournaments firstly, that's the bottom line. That Serena example is really not very useful at all, as Maria being on court so her fans can at least see her play but not going over to an injured player is a totally different issue to Serena not being on the court at all, so her fans can't see her play tennis.

To all- Some people need to realise that I'm bound to defend my favourite player when she is getting bashed, defending a person and trying to impose my views about her being hated or not are two completely different aspects that need to be learnt. Arcforce if Venus was playing a full schedule and being bashed then you'd more than likely be defending her, Wilsonboy if Serena was on Tour all the time yet still be bashed you'd defend her, the same as if Fed was being bashed all the time I think we'd see a fair few people defending him. That's just the way it goes, but some of us are more passionate about our sport than other's and show our emotions more and that's something that some people need to accept, we're all not robots that act the same, we're very different people.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Sportsmanship or not
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2006, 06:11:38 AM »

No she is trying to win tournaments firstly, that's the bottom line. That Serena example is really not very useful at all, as Maria being on court so her fans can at least see her play but not going over to an injured player is a totally different issue to Serena not being on the court at all, so her fans can't see her play tennis.

To all- Some people need to realise that I'm bound to defend my favourite player when she is getting bashed, defending a person and trying to impose my views about her being hated or not are two completely different aspects that need to be learnt. Arcforce if Venus was playing a full schedule and being bashed then you'd more than likely be defending her, Wilsonboy if Serena was on Tour all the time yet still be bashed you'd defend her, the same as if Fed was being bashed all the time I think we'd see a fair few people defending him. That's just the way it goes, but some of us are more passionate about our sport than other's and show our emotions more and that's something that some people need to accept, we're all not robots that act the same, we're very different people.

It's not really the fact that they would be bashed (and trust me, Venus and Serena have been bashed large amounts of times), it's the reasons why. Sharapova has stirred up controvery off of what she did/didn't do in that match. If she were to fall flat on her face, any other player would come over to see what's up; even if they're very focused. I remember falling in a match once and my opponent came over to see if I was okay...

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
Sportsmanship or not
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2006, 06:33:26 AM »

It's not really the fact that they would be bashed (and trust me, Venus and Serena have been bashed large amounts of times), it's the reasons why. Sharapova has stirred up controvery off of what she did/didn't do in that match. If she were to fall flat on her face, any other player would come over to see what's up; even if they're very focused. I remember falling in a match once and my opponent came over to see if I was okay...

Well Maria chose not to and instead decided it would be best to do what she felt was best after the match, that's what she thought was the best thing to do. Many people will criticise her rection and other's like myself will defend her. As I said a few days back I'd have prefered Maria to have said to Golovin are you okay when she was about to serve after her ankle had been strapped, but she didn't and there's nothing that can be done about that. I study both historian and politics at school and when you study those 2 subjects you learn to argue for cases that you don't always believe in, just like politicians do, so I don't agree with everything that Maria does but because of my history and politics experience I've learnt to be able to argue both sides, hence I can try to defend Maria even if I don't fully agree with something she has done, that's just my nature.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Sportsmanship or not
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2006, 09:06:38 AM »

cosign and lock. This thread is getting into overkill.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Sportsmanship or not
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »

Well Maria chose not to and instead decided it would be best to do what she felt was best after the match, that's what she thought was the best thing to do. Many people will criticise her rection and other's like myself will defend her. As I said a few days back I'd have prefered Maria to have said to Golovin are you okay when she was about to serve after her ankle had been strapped, but she didn't and there's nothing that can be done about that. I study both historian and politics at school and when you study those 2 subjects you learn to argue for cases that you don't always believe in, just like politicians do, so I don't agree with everything that Maria does but because of my history and politics experience I've learnt to be able to argue both sides, hence I can try to defend Maria even if I don't fully agree with something she has done, that's just my nature.

Well, I think that it was still unsportsman-like of her. Even though I hate Sharapova, it's really not something that I'd expect from her. It wouldn't have upset me as much if she'd have faked her kindness... I'm just sad that Golovin had to go out like that...

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
Sportsmanship or not
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2006, 12:39:47 AM »

Well, I think that it was still unsportsman-like of her. Even though I hate Sharapova, it's really not something that I'd expect from her. It wouldn't have upset me as much if she'd have faked her kindness... I'm just sad that Golovin had to go out like that...

Yeah it was a really shame that Golovin had to go out the way she did after playing such great tennis and now after building up some really impressive form, having to try to recover and then get back to that level will be really tough for her. About Maria, well you can look at it from both ways, I'm sure offcourt Maria is a really nice person, she certainly was when I had the chance to meet her, on court sometimes you change and as does your personality. Maria chose to stay focused on the match in a tough situation and then be all kind at the end and off the court. Just shows that Maria doesn't feel the need to pose and come across as an angel to the camera's. I'll always back Maria in this type of situation, sometimes not fully agreeing with an aspect though, you only need to ask me about Maria and her pretty much non-existent clay court season to realise that.