Author Topic: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal  (Read 235378 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal
« Reply #2820 on: October 12, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »
lol
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2821 on: October 24, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »
Played with OSU on Wed, as usual we take care of the business.  I am probably more comfortable with him as my doubles partner than anyone else right now.  Been like that for a while now.

Playing some USTA tonight.  I tweaked my calf Wed at the end just hitting a few last balls.  I was going to take a week off to let the calf heal up.  I told the USTA captain I was no good to play but he called again last night and pleaded as we were short for players.  So I am playing, hopefully all will go well.  I had tweaked my calf last summer and kept playing on it.  Eventually it popped on me and I was out for a few weeks.  For now I just want to get through tonight, and score a W as well.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2822 on: October 24, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »
Played with OSU on Wed, as usual we take care of the business.  I am probably more comfortable with him as my doubles partner than anyone else right now.  Been like that for a while now.

Playing some USTA tonight.  I tweaked my calf Wed at the end just hitting a few last balls.  I was going to take a week off to let the calf heal up.  I told the USTA captain I was no good to play but he called again last night and pleaded as we were short for players.  So I am playing, hopefully all will go well.  I had tweaked my calf last summer and kept playing on it.  Eventually it popped on me and I was out for a few weeks.  For now I just want to get through tonight, and score a W as well.  :)

Hope you survived. No good being out for weeks.  :hell-no:
I have my favorite doubles partners. They are not necessarily better but they often do things well that I do not and I can contribute things that they find difficult.  All round, the result is more than the sum of the parts and it makes for a good game.
Next time you see OSU tell him it was great crossing paths with him briefly at Cincy last summer.  :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2823 on: October 25, 2010, 07:16:48 AM »
With OSU I already know what he is going to do most of the times so it helps me set up early and anticipate that much better.

We ended up winning on a default, the opponent's calf was bothering him, crazy.  We were at 4-4 with them serving.  We had a naaaaaaaaaaaasty point that got us to 0-30 on their serve and they called it quits.  OSU and I played two other guys for fun and lost 3 & 6 I believe.
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2824 on: October 25, 2010, 07:20:07 AM »
I'm assuming your niggling calf injury is ok afer last night. :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2825 on: October 25, 2010, 07:45:41 AM »
Feels ok right now.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2826 on: November 27, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
I have been playing 1-2 times per week but not really updating the journal.  I have been a little busier than normal.  We did hire a new guy in the office so I am hoping that takes some of the load off.

Jamesdster and I played a solid match last Sunday in USTA.  We won 6-2, 6-2.  The only games we lost where when one of the two opponent's served.  We never returned his serve very well, but it was not a great serve.  Not sure what happened to us when that guy served.  We never let the other guy hold.  He had a weaker serve than his partner but he was the better player.  Jamesdster and I both served and volleyed well and that made a huge difference in the match.  I Was killing overheads too.  I was hitting them as hard as I could and they all went in, felt great...

Played with VC against MC and RG wed night.  We lost that one 4 & 4.  We did not help each other much on our service games, in fact we did the opposite.  MC and RG both played solid throughout and did not give us much breathing room to make the errors we did.  They both served well and just kept the pressure on the entire match.  We had 1-3 break points every time RG served (all 4 times) and never got a single one.  That was the stat of the day.  TO let him come back down 0-40 on his serve on 3 errors by us when we are down a break is just unacceptable.

Hope to play today as OSU plays Michigan.  I am hoping people will want to stay home and need subs.  I do throw down tomorrow though with OSU, MM and Jamesdtser.  Looking forward to that!
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2827 on: November 27, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
Played today but it was nuthin to write home about.  I subbed in a league and it was basically (2) 4.5 players against (2) weak 4.0 players.  I hit all second serves and hit to their strength.  I was mainly walking to my shots, no need to really work.  We won 6-1, 6-2..
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2828 on: November 27, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
Played today but it was nuthin to write home about.  I subbed in a league and it was basically (2) 4.5 players against (2) weak 4.0 players.  I hit all second serves and hit to their strength.  I was mainly walking to my shots, no need to really work.  We won 6-1, 6-2..
I mustha missed the post where you told us you moved up to 4.0. :whistle:  Congratulations!!! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2829 on: November 27, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
Yeah yeah yeah.  You just keep avoiding me on these T4U get togethers...
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2830 on: November 28, 2010, 06:16:12 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah.  You just keep avoiding me on these T4U get togethers...
:))  Sort of like how you avoid playing me in chess, eh? :whistle:  :lol-cry: :har-har:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2831 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:01 AM »
pfft, I use to have to beg you to play!  I have not played in about a year.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2832 on: December 04, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
Played some friendly matches this last week.  OSU and I edged out Jamesdster and MM 2-6, 7-5, 10-2 last Sunday.  They were serving for it at 5-3 in the second and the next thing I know we ran away with the match, it was very weird.

OSU and I lost to VIC and MC Wed 2-6, 7-5, 10-5 I believe.  They played very well and we did not keep up.  Fun match though. 

Jamesdster and I are are probably set to play tomorrow USTA style together.  We will see, I will be pumped for that!
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2833 on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:04 AM »
VIC and I got our chance at some revenge Wed night as we faced off against RG and MC.  Last time we played them 2 weeks ago I believer we lost 4 & 4.  We had tons of break points on RG 2 weeks ago (a few in each of his service games) but never converted any one the.  Mostly solid points by them but some butchered points by us too being a problem.

They jumped out with an early break and we were serving at 2-5.  They both come to the net on set point and my partner shanks a backhand up and over their heads for a clean winner.  Whoops...  We then proceed to take the set 7-6 (5).  We were lucky to survive that.

Second set we should have been up 5-2 but only stayed on serve to 4-3.  With time running out I served the last game at 4-4.  I quickly go up 40-0 and as fast as I go up 40-0 they reel off 5 points nice points in a row for the break.  So we ended the set down a break.  Basically we split sets.  I would have rather left a set up and on serve in the second.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2834 on: December 18, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »
Played Wed with MC.  We came through a weird one against OSU and MF.  No one played great all night but we did have some great points here and there.  We all kind of played just average.  It was 3-6, 6-3, 5-3 when we had to quit due to time.

Played Thursday night in some round robin dubs.  Decent stuff.  JL, KG and RG were there.  RG took the win and I came in second. 

Tonight wifey and I got in on a mixed dubs league, so we will give that a whirl.  I am looking forward to that.  Plus grandma will watch the kids so the baby sitting is free which is a huge bonus.

All in all I am playing fairly solid right now.  The volleys have been feeling great, returns have been a little less than desired, but I think that's just part of my overall dubs game.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2835 on: December 19, 2010, 05:34:37 AM »
Mixed dubs? 
AWESOME!
Fun times ahead for you. :)

Just one more way to enjoy being with your partner and playing the game we all love. :king:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2836 on: December 19, 2010, 07:39:10 AM »
We did pretty good overall, better than I thought we would do.

We won our first match 7-4.  Then we got moved up to the big boy court.  Had to play against VIC and his wife, VIC and I play a lot together and his wife is 4.0.  My wife is probably 2.5 so we had our hands full.  We only lost 5-7.  We had a sudden death point for 6-6, his wife serving to my wife but she threw in a good unreturnable serve.  It was a good fun set.

The last set was against 2 people I did not know.  The guy just kept jumping in the middle of the net every time my wife hit the ball and he was shutting down whatever she sent near his reach.  He was not playing too nicely.  He was hitting wifey first serves, etc.  Meanwhile I hit the very first serve to his wife, it was a kicker but softer than my typical second serve, it almost hit her.  So I just dinker her serves all night while the other guy was acing my wife.  I probably should have stepped it up and threw in some heavier serves but I did not want to hurt his wife.  She was pretty small and at least 60-65.  Still a fun set, we lost that one 5-7 I think.  Could have been 4-7?
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2837 on: December 23, 2010, 02:29:37 PM »
I am going to take a week and a half off and see if I cannot get my achy calf to stop hurting. I bailed on Wed night tennis but I did play Sunday with OSU against JC & WL in a USTA match.  It was a decent match.  It was some of the worst returning I have done in a very long time, that was the huge downside.  I think I was tired from playing 4 days last week, that's a bit much for me right now being out of shape. 

OSU and I pulled through though 7-6, 6-4.  The guys we played were not huge hitters but they were consistent and crafty.  OSU served phenomenal and got out of trouble with good serves when I put him in a bad spot from volley or tripping over myself when back peddling to hit overheads.  Even if we are not spot on, OSU and I make a tough team...
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2838 on: December 23, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
The 2 of you would be nothing but mere pebbles in the path before the Almighty BabbleMonster duo.  We would have to pressure wash the court afterwards to clean up the poooo from you twits crappin' yosefs.

For some reason my posts just aren't going through? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2839 on: December 23, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »
Your posts seem to be going through just fine.  At least I am seeing them. 

Weird.  I plan on upgrading this forum software to the latest and greatest version sometime tomorrow so hopefully that will fix any problems you might be having?
Scott Baker