Author Topic: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal  (Read 238898 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis4you - Tennis Journal
« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
I would like to say we broke their rhythm in the second set, but I would say they dropped their game more than we raised ours.  Very tough players.  Surprised me quite a few times with some great hands.  The one that surprised me the most was the older guy.  VIC would just tear into a groundie and this guy looks casual as could be and move to the ball and the volley was so damn flat and hard.  Very smooth.  I owe him...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2007, 06:29:55 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I would like to say we broke their rhythm in the second set, but I would say they dropped their game more than we raised ours.  Very tough players.  Surprised me quite a few times with some great hands.  The one that surprised me the most was the older guy.  VIC would just tear into a groundie and this guy looks casual as could be and move to the ball and the volley was so damn flat and hard.  Very smooth.  I owe him...

Yeah, if you guys ever play them again......or anyone like them for that matter........I would love to see you guys be more aggressive!  When you two are hitting nasty groundies, serves, and returns, the other should be looking to poach like its your job!  Those guys have money volleys all day long without pressure (as do most of the 4.5's)......but lets see if they can do that crap when someone is all up in their grill!  The super important thing of course is to time your poaching well so they don't burn you down line.  But even if they do bust down line some then thats exactly what you're looking for!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
They both do have softer serves.  VIC was teeing off on their serves but if it was near them it came back.  I went down their line a few times but they were always there, but then again I was going down their line with a slice, they had time.  I wanted to lob so badly but I struggle lobbing off of slower serves, I like lobbing off of serves that generate some pace...
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2007, 06:41:02 PM »
They both do have softer serves.  VIC was teeing off on their serves but if it was near them it came back.  I went down their line a few times but they were always there, but then again I was going down their line with a slice, they had time.  I wanted to lob so badly but I struggle lobbing off of slower serves, I like lobbing off of serves that generate some pace...

Did you get my previous point because your reply was about going down their lines when I was trying to tell you to force them to hit down your lines!?!?!?!?!?!????????????????????????

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I just started thinking of other things.  I doubt we could have poached that far, but we should of tried some Australian and I-Formation.  Couldn't hurt...
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #345 on: March 09, 2007, 07:22:01 AM »
Well, I always swear I will never play singles again, I am not sure why I play it...

I started last night dubs well.  I was volleying VERY solid.  I was scraping up volleys with quickness when they were hit at me, I was seeing the ball well.  I might not have been winning some of the points I scrapped for but I certainly extended the points much longer.  We were up 2 breaks on Jamesdster and his partner (who we broke twice) when Jamesdster started feeling not so good.  We quit there.  I maybe hit 3-4 error and we were up 6-3 and getting ready to serve.

So then I played singles against a guy who plays top court in 4.0 dubs.  He has been to Nationals twice at 4.0.  He would be a good guy for us to have on our 4.5 team, but he doesn't seem interested.  Anyways.  he asked me if I wanted to play singles.  Crap, OK.  So I go from hitting 3-4 errors per set to 3-4 errors per game.  Ugly stuff.  I won my service games pretty easily.  I only got broke once.  

But here is where it all went down.

First game, he serves.  He double faults at break point but I apparently need a doubles partner to call out serves for me these days.  I just hit it back in the net.  he asked me if his serve was in, it obviously wasn't, but oh well, my lazy butt didn't call it and this match doesn't count.  He holds a few points later.  We both hold until 5-5.  I was serving well and volleying pretty well.  Missing a few too many here and there but I am not use to singles anymore.  He serves at 5-5 and we went to probably 12 deuce points, at least!  I had a few break points in there.  To his credit I was chip and charging on his second serves to put the pressure on him but he came up with some nice passing shots right off of the approach shot.  To my discredit, they were not great approach shots, I have zero confidence in singles.  I finally break him to go up 6-5.  I hold to 7-5.  Sweet, set.  We kept going for kicks and ended up at 8-8.  I was pretty frustrated with how I was playing.  He doesn't have a big serve but I missed sooooooo many returns.  In the end he missed a lot too.  

So anyways, I break to go up 7-5.  I win the next two points, he hits an approach wide and then trys a bad drop shot.  (Neither of us had played singles for years, what do you expect).  He wins the next two points and calls it 30-0 on his serve.  lol, who cares...  I gave it to him.  He is a super nice guy, he didn't do it on purpose.

I let some of my displeasure known, but not as bad as I use to be.  I guess it was good to get out and play singles again.  My serve was hurting him badly.  Maybe 8 aces and a lot of service winners.  Who knows...

Here is the main reason I accepted the singles challenge last night.  I told OSU I would fill in for singles now and then on the USTA night.  it takes me 3 singles matches to get my confidence back.  That was 1, I need 2 more...
Scott Baker

Offline ERHS

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »
I'll play you, if you can fly me all the way over to Ohio.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2007, 08:17:11 PM »
Quote from: "ERHS"

Where are you at?  Ah hell, it doesn't matter anyways, I do not have the money.  Although how about this.  I will pay, if I win, you pay me back.  :)~
Scott Baker

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2007, 08:28:53 PM »
You want some confidence? you can play me.

Offline ERHS

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2007, 07:17:33 AM »

Where are you at?  Ah hell, it doesn't matter anyways, I do not have the money.  Although how about this.  I will pay, if I win, you pay me back.  :)~

Alright. I'm in MD.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »

Alright. I'm in MD.

Bring it!  You can come to Ohio and lose to all of us!!!    We'll send you back to the "ER" or to "HS" with your beat-down a$$!      Now thats puttin' the ER and the HS in ERHS!!!!   :)~

Offline ERHS

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2007, 04:01:08 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

Alright. I'm in MD.

Bring it!  You can come to Ohio and lose to all of us!!!    We'll send you back to the "ER" or to "HS" with your beat-down a$$!      Now thats puttin' the ER and the HS in ERHS!!!!   :)~

MMM...... That the best you got? I'll come to Ohio. Seriously! And when I get there , I'll make sure to whoop all your asses so red, they're gonna think you became babboons. I'll make sure to give ya'll some colorful butts.
On a more serious note, who'll pay for my air fare and my hotel? ;-()

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »

Alright. I'm in MD.

MMM...... That the best you got? I'll come to Ohio. Seriously! And when I get there , I'll make sure to whoop all your asses so red, they're gonna think you became babboons. I'll make sure to give ya'll some colorful butts.

Screw air fare.....jump in a car and head on a road trip......you know for some free tennis lessons from us!!!   :)~

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »

Alright. I'm in MD.

Hotel?  If you come to Ohio will will house you, or the hospital can after we kick your a$$.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #354 on: March 11, 2007, 02:26:52 PM »
Just got back from another USTA dubs match.  We did pretty bad as a team, I think we lost 0-5 which hurts.  We had to default one court as 5 of our 11 guys were unavailable...

VIC and I played play Court 1 Dubs.  The guys we played were tough.  I would say one of them was a pretty solid 4.5 player, the other was easily 5.0.  Both really nice guys and fun to play.  And it was a good thing they were fun to play because that is all we got out of it, fun.  We got beat 4-6, 3-6.  We played a 3rd set for fun and lost it 5-7.  

The 5.0 guy hit every return and hit it back well!  He was tough.  The other guy was easier on our serves.  he hit some nice returns but he was far less consistant than the other guy.

We got to 4-4 in the first set and I was up to serve.  I missed every first serve and that cost us big.  Not cool.  VIC got broke earlier in the first set but we broke right back.  They were tough to break, they have great serves.  Anyways, we lost my ame at 4-4 and they served it out for the first set.  

Same crap in the second set on my serve @ 3-3.  But this time I was hitting first serves.  I forget if it was his return or his second shot @ 3-3 in the game, but he shanked a shot he was going big on and it lobbed up and landed about 2" inside the baseline.  We were both at the net, that one hurt.  We lost on that break.

Fun stuff, in the end they were just more consistant with their volleys and their returns.  We had some rgeat points, unfortunetly they won most of the great ones.  They fought off some nice attacks with some great hands.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2007, 07:14:23 PM »
Played Thursday night and played today.  I played well both days.  I am hitting my volleys pretty well with a little bit of pop too.  Feel good.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2007, 09:12:39 PM »
VIC and I plays USTA dubs tonight.  We played well, and I mean WELL.  I cannot think of anything we could have done better.  Our returns were on, I served pretty good, VIC served like a wild man (that is a good thing).  We won 6-2, 6-1.  We played court #1, nothing else to really say.  It was a good night for us.
Scott Baker

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #357 on: March 19, 2007, 01:38:57 AM »
VIC and I plays USTA dubs tonight.  We played well, and I mean WELL.  I cannot think of anything we could have done better.  Our returns were on, I served pretty good, VIC served like a wild man (that is a good thing).  We won 6-2, 6-1.  We played court #1, nothing else to really say.  It was a good night for us.

Good Job.
Doesn't it feel awesome when you have such matches?
I have such matches every now and then...
... in my dreams.

Oh and I would totally go on a roadtrip to play some tennis and if you promise to teach me stuff. Its about 6 hours to pittsburg around 3 more to columbus I'd say. 9 hours isn't bad. Yeah it is for a one day trip.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2007, 04:46:33 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"

Good Job.
... in my dreams.

Oh and I would totally go on a roadtrip to play some tennis and if you promise to teach me stuff. Its about 6 hours to pittsburg around 3 more to columbus I'd say. 9 hours isn't bad. Yeah it is for a one day trip.

If you are ever in town let me know, we will hit.
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #359 on: March 19, 2007, 07:57:45 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"

Good Job.
... in my dreams.

If you are ever in town let me know, we will hit.

Well played Scotty!  And, Pawan, we would welcome you to the CO (Columbus)!