Author Topic: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal  (Read 231981 times)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
Tennis4you - Tennis Journal
« Reply #400 on: April 27, 2007, 04:18:51 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
lol, I kinda slid to the ball.  I seem to slide on hard court well.  Funny thing is, I slide too far on clay and it kills me because I am still sliding when I need to start moving the other way.

Can't you pop up out of the slide on clay when you need to go the other way?  Guess it depends on how fast you are still sliding!   ||-|

It's really the timing at the start of the slide that's key here, because you want to time your slide so that you stop as you're stroking the ball.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #401 on: April 27, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
lol, I kinda slid to the ball.  I seem to slide on hard court well.  Funny thing is, I slide too far on clay and it kills me because I am still sliding when I need to start moving the other way.

Can't you pop up out of the slide on clay when you need to go the other way?  Guess it depends on how fast you are still sliding!   ||-|

It's really the timing at the start of the slide that's key here, because you want to time your slide so that you stop as you're stroking the ball.

Indeed, sounds like Scott needs to work on his slide timing but he is such a speed-demon that his slides are longer due to higher velocity!  Makes for tough calculations in that little head of his!(cheap-shot)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2007, 04:30:19 PM »

Indeed, sounds like Scott needs to work on his slide timing but he is such a speed-demon that his slides are longer due to higher velocity!  Makes for tough calculations in that little head of his!(cheap-shot)

Sweet, I love it!  Scooter needs to go back to school and take advanced Calculus, 'cause remedial Algebra just isn't cutting it for his slides on clay!   :)~
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #403 on: April 27, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »

Sweet, I love it!  Scooter needs to go back to school and take advanced Calculus, 'cause remedial Algebra just isn't cutting it for his slides on clay!   :)~

Hey! He had to get through geometry at the very least. Otherwise what kind of housed could he design? They'd be falling down left and right.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #404 on: April 27, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »

And, we that have had advanced Calculus don't even slide!?   :;:-|    So much for the calculations!   ..-)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #405 on: April 29, 2007, 09:16:01 PM »
Well, VIC and I played USTA again tonight.  We were on court 1 again which always pumps me up.  But at this level most of the time you can expect all 3 courts of dubs to be tough and even toucher players on court 2 than court 1.

VIC started pretty well.  He was cracking returns as usual.  In the first set I struggled seeing the ball again.  I do not know if it is too much work, too much stress and then compounded by the fact I am already extremely high strung, who knows.  I couldn't see the friggin ball.  I hit 2 returns in the court in their first 4 service games and they did not have huge serves.  I was missing volleys like mad, I plain sucked.  We were down 2-5 and I broke the racquet.  OSU can spare me the holier than thou speech on the broken racquet.  I missed pretty much everything that came to me.  Luckily VIC is a patient and positive man.

The second set came along way too quickly but I settled in and started seeing the ball pretty well.  We jumped on them quickly and were up 4-0.  We ended up serving out the set @ 6-2.

We jumped on them again early in the 3rd set and broke to go up 2-1.  They were serving at 3-5 in the 3rd and we broke for the win.  It was nice to come back and get on track.  I would of preferred to do it with both racquets intact though.  It had been a while since I had some that.  Not a cheap habit to get into, luckily I buy them used.  :)

One point in the second set they lobbed me and I had to chase it down at the baseline.  I was not facing the court and had to hit it while facing the other way while the ball was over my head.  I did not hit it very hard but it found a way to sneak inbetween both guys coming to the net.  They must have thought the other guy was taking it.  It was pretty sweet.

Put another notch in the bed post for a win for VIC and I.  VIC is a beast on the court.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #406 on: April 30, 2007, 07:56:34 AM »
I need to throw this out there too after last night.  Well, 2 things.  For some reason my left knee hurts like crazy today.  TO the point of limping.  I was cracking soem seriously nice kick serves last night with a very sweet first serve percentage in the 4th set (I will explain the 4th set in a minute).  Usually when I am getting that much kick I am using my left leg too much for the push off of the ground.  Shame on me I guess...

After VIC and I made out comeback I went over and played some dubs with DW against the famous Jeffro and the new guy Bryan.  We had about 15 minutes to play some dubs.  Jeffro and Bryan only needed about 12 minutes to take it 6-0.  We might have played a little loose but those guys just threw down and threw down hard.  I was hitting like 100% first serves to Jeffro and he was hitting back 100% crushing returns.  He about knocked the racquet out of my hands a few times.  But hey, to save some face (ha ha, yeah right) I won the last game 1-6   :)
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #407 on: April 30, 2007, 08:30:26 AM »
Well, VIC and I played USTA again tonight.  We were on court 1 again which always pumps me up.  But at this level most of the time you can expect all 3 courts of dubs to be tough and even toucher players on court 2 than court 1.

VIC started pretty well.  He was cracking returns as usual.  In the first set I struggled seeing the ball again.  I do not know if it is too much work, too much stress and then compounded by the fact I am already extremely high strung, who knows.  I couldn't see the friggin ball.  I hit 2 returns in the court in their first 4 service games and they did not have huge serves.  I was missing volleys like mad, I plain sucked.  We were down 2-5 and I broke the racquet.  OSU can spare me the holier than thou speech on the broken racquet.  I missed pretty much everything that came to me.  Luckily VIC is a patient and positive man.

The second set came along way too quickly but I settled in and started seeing the ball pretty well.  We jumped on them quickly and were up 4-0.  We ended up serving out the set @ 6-2.

We jumped on them again early in the 3rd set and broke to go up 2-1.  They were serving at 3-5 in the 3rd and we broke for the win.  It was nice to come back and get on track.  I would of preferred to do it with both racquets intact though.  It had been a while since I had some that.  Not a cheap habit to get into, luckily I buy them used.  :)

One point in the second set they lobbed me and I had to chase it down at the baseline.  I was not facing the court and had to hit it while facing the other way while the ball was over my head.  I did not hit it very hard but it found a way to sneak inbetween both guys coming to the net.  They must have thought the other guy was taking it.  It was pretty sweet.

Put another notch in the bed post for a win for VIC and I.  VIC is a beast on the court.

Maybe it is too much pee-wee league tennis messing up your timing!   :)~   Ouch, I am cruel....and, good at it too!   :(

You played Saturday right?    Maybe that explains the knee.......coming to the net hard has been killing my knees lately!   :(

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #408 on: April 30, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »

Maybe it is too much pee-wee league tennis messing up your timing!   :)~   Ouch, I am cruel....and, good at it too!   :(

You played Saturday right?    Maybe that explains the knee.......coming to the net hard has been killing my knees lately!   :(

I did play a good three sets Saturday.  I am sure that is not helping the knees.
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #409 on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:22 AM »

I did play a good three sets Saturday.  I am sure that is not helping the knees.

Good as in played well or good as in complete?     How come no update on the Sat. tennis?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2007, 10:42:09 AM »

Good as in played well or good as in complete?     How come no update on the Sat. tennis?

It was good from everyone all around.  Too busy for an update.  We lost 6-1, 6-7 (5), 4-6.  We were all on serve from the second set on and Todd double faulted twice in a row at 30-30 to give them the game.  The served it out from there.  Fun stuff, we all served well.
Scott Baker

Offline Jamesdster

• Tennis God
« Reply #411 on: April 30, 2007, 01:48:03 PM »

It was good from everyone all around.  Too busy for an update.  We lost 6-1, 6-7 (5), 4-6.  We were all on serve from the second set on and Todd double faulted twice in a row at 30-30 to give them the game.  The served it out from there.  Fun stuff, we all served well.

Both Scott's team and mine won the first set 6-1 then a few minutes later I saw my man chucking the racket into the curtain   :whistle: .   I thought...uh oh..... :|
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammible and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.  - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #412 on: April 30, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
Quote from: "Jamesdster"

Both Scott's team and mine won the first set 6-1 then a few minutes later I saw my man chucking the racket into the curtain   :whistle: .   I thought...uh oh..... :|

Never a good sign, do you think the racket called the RSPCTR (Royal Society for Protection of Cruelty to Tennis Rackets)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #413 on: April 30, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »
Who chucked the racquet?   ||-|

Offline Jamesdster

• Tennis God
« Reply #414 on: April 30, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »

My main man Scott.  He missed a couple of shots and became quite upset.  I'm glad I don't get like that  :whistle:
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammible and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.  - Mitch Hedberg

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #415 on: April 30, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »

My main man Scott.  He missed a couple of shots and became quite upset.  I'm glad I don't get like that  :whistle:

Wait, wait........so he was chucking racquets on Saturday and Sunday?   :no-no:

Dude needs a vacation!   ;)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #416 on: April 30, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »

Gee, you think?
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #417 on: April 30, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »

Gee, you think?

Meeeeooooooowwwwwwwww!    'swipe-swipe' (cat emoticon)   :depressed:

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #418 on: April 30, 2007, 02:43:42 PM »

Gee, you think?

Lol, we need to give Scott a shopping list of emoticons:
Sarcastic emoticon
Cat emoticon
More suggestions greatly received emoticon

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #419 on: April 30, 2007, 02:47:17 PM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Gee, you think?

Lol, we need to give Scott a shopping list of emoticons:
Sarcastic emoticon
Cat emoticonMore suggestions greatly received emoticon

It has to have the cat paws doing the swipe-swipe motion!    Meowwww!   :H