Author Topic: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal  (Read 241182 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal
« Reply #2900 on: February 01, 2011, 08:35:38 AM »
I can certainly understand going to the weaker player when things get tight but for the entire match was kinda stupid.  To carry that into a 3rd set for fun was just insulting. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ocdavep

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2901 on: February 01, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »
right. the match is already over. hit for fun to me implies we are going to do so...

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2902 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
OSU and I played dubs last night against the new 4.5 team in the league.  They just threw (2) 4.0 players at us and we took care of business.  We took it a little too casual at first but buckled down after almost being down 1-4 in the first set.  At 1-3 we reeled off 11 of of the next 12 games for a 6-3, 6-1 win.  I was pretty tired and sore from the day before so I was not on fire.  Not tested either though.

The day before I had to play a weak 4.5 player and a solid 4.0 player in a league.  My partner is probably on average a 3.5 player who played extremely bad, he was 3.0 at best.  My opponents went to his off of all of my serves, all my returns, etc.  It was pretty embarrassing for my opponents if you ask me.  I do not think they needed to hit the ball at my opponent for every shot to win, but they did anyways.  Then after our 2 & 2 beat down we played a 3rd set for fun and they continued to do it.  It was worse that mixed dubs.  I will not throw down any names in here (no one we know) but it was bad.  They played smart by going to the weaker player but it was painfully dumb tennis.  If they would have hit all those shots to a better player like that we would have won 0 & 0.  Massive loss of respect for my opponents that day.  Mainly the 4.5 player as the 4.0 was just in high school and just did what the 4.5 player told him to do.
I'm sure that they are quite proud of themselves.
And now you know their true character.
What goes around comes around.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2903 on: February 01, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
OSU and I played dubs last night against the new 4.5 team in the league.  They just threw (2) 4.0 players at us and we took care of business.  We took it a little too casual at first but buckled down after almost being down 1-4 in the first set.  At 1-3 we reeled off 11 of of the next 12 games for a 6-3, 6-1 win.  I was pretty tired and sore from the day before so I was not on fire.  Not tested either though.

The day before I had to play a weak 4.5 player and a solid 4.0 player in a league.  My partner is probably on average a 3.5 player who played extremely bad, he was 3.0 at best.  My opponents went to his off of all of my serves, all my returns, etc.  It was pretty embarrassing for my opponents if you ask me.  I do not think they needed to hit the ball at my opponent for every shot to win, but they did anyways.  Then after our 2 & 2 beat down we played a 3rd set for fun and they continued to do it.  It was worse that mixed dubs.  I will not throw down any names in here (no one we know) but it was bad.  They played smart by going to the weaker player but it was painfully dumb tennis.  If they would have hit all those shots to a better player like that we would have won 0 & 0.  Massive loss of respect for my opponents that day.  Mainly the 4.5 player as the 4.0 was just in high school and just did what the 4.5 player told him to do.

Well, I did clock the 4.5 guy with an overhead, but that was an accident and luckily he turned around.
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2904 on: February 01, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »

Well, I did clock the 4.5 guy with an overhead, but that was an accident and luckily he turned around.
That's the spirit!

I have no problem lighting up jackholes like that. :)>>>>
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2905 on: February 04, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
Played Wed night.  MC and I took on OSU and VIC.  MC played really bad last week, worst I have ever seen him play so I was curious to see how he would do this week.  Whatever he forgot to bring last Wed he brought this week and then some.  He tore it up proper.  Couple that with the fact that VIC missed dinner and we won pretty easily.  We took it 6-0, 6-3.  I volleyed really well which felt great.  We had some pretty sick points. 

I lobbed VIC on a half volley and OSU ran back to get it.  He hit a tweeker cross court.  MC moved in that direction, I think he would have been there but I am not sure.  OSU's ball clipped the net (barely) and then guided out by a foot.  It was a 1/4 from being an amazing shot.  Although I was playing against him, it would have been sweet to see him pull it off...

We played a third set for fun.  I think they won it 7-5.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2906 on: February 15, 2011, 07:47:17 PM »
OSU and I played USTA Sunday night, it was pretty bad tennis for both of us.  My first serve percentage was about 30% and I was missing too much.  We squeaked out the first set 7-5.  I tried serving for it up 5-4 but got broke after about 7-8 deuces.  OSU served it out at love.  We got down a break in the second, got it back and lost it again.  We lost the second set 4-6.  The third set was a 10 point tb.  We were down a mini-break the entire time and finally stole the last 3 points to win it 10-8. 

I missed my first 6 shots in the tb and only returned one serve int he tb.  It was rough stuff, they did not have big serves.  I was struggling. 

The second to last point my calf started hurting pretty bad.  It was been about 3 months now since it started hurting, maybe longer.  I am going to take 3 weeks off and see if that helps.  I have taken 10 days off 3 times and it never does the trick.
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2907 on: February 15, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
Diagnose and rehab that beyotch Bud!
It's only gonna get worse from here on out. :(
Whatever you can do to identify and treat your physical weaknesses now will pay huge dividends as you age.  Word. ://

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2908 on: February 16, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
Yeah, I wish I would have done this a few months ago, I hope I have not made it too much worse by continuing to play on it.  Feeling pretty good today, I could feel it the last 2 days.  From what I read online it said to rest it a a few days and then start stretching and doing calf raise stuff.  I just read one online source though, I will be digging into the internet to see what the majority says tonight.  I am willing to do whatever.  Want this healed by summer.  Wifey is going to be needing me on that court with her!!!
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2909 on: February 16, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »
Do it. :)>>>>
You won't be sorry. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2910 on: February 17, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
It will probably be worth it to wait. Nobody wants to miss summer on the tennis courts  :hell-no: . Hope you are soon 100% again.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2911 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »
The biggest motivator for me is to get out and hit with wifey.  We will be doing that several times a week in addition to my competitive tennis so that will be taxing on the calf if it is not healed.  It will get way worse in the summer if I cannot get over the hump.  I will do what I need to do to heal it.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2912 on: February 19, 2011, 08:13:15 AM »
Been about a week since I have played tennis, kinda.  I hit with wifey last night.  Mostly fed her tennis balls.  I did very little moving, no running. 

I talked to my physical therapist neighbor last night about the calf.  He was curious why the (3) times I took 10 days off I saw no real improvement.  He has me doing some calf raises every 2 hours yesterday and today and then we will chat tomorrow to see how I feel.  Calf is a little more achy from the calf raises, but I am down to try.  Curious to see if we can hear this puppy!!!

He did say I could walk as much as I wanted right now, just avoid running.  That was until we meet tomorrow.  I am down to try anything!  I just want back on the court!
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2913 on: February 19, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »
Good to read you are both  :)  back on the court. More and more I do very little moving (as you will see) but I run if I have to and something usually clicks in to tell me if I am overdoing it. Sometimes I think it is a lot of PSYCHOtherapy that goes on. Before I went to Australia for the AO, I was bothered by the old hamstring problem. I nursed it with the usual exercises. But it was when I went away, had no exercise apart from walking to the courts and climbing stadium stairs, that it seemed to go away completely when I was not even thinking about it.

A member of my Thursday group has been out for the whole winter season with a tendon injury. He was always a favorite partner of mine because he did all the running. Now that we are having to renew for winter 2011-2012, the question is coming up is to whether or not he will continue. I can see the group disintegrating and it is good that I have three other groups that keep going.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2914 on: February 19, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »
Always stinks when you loser a good partner.  If OSU disappeared on me I would have to find others I can play that comfortably with.  Jamesdster and VIC would be my new victims.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2915 on: February 19, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
Hit with wifey again today.  Far less windy than yesterday bout 15-20 degrees colder which made it kinda cold.  We only hit for 30 minutes because the kids were on the playground next to us and they were cold.  Our oldest (unwisely) did not bring a coat so we bolted early.  Still, good to get out.  The next few days are going to get colder, so it will be a week before we can sneak out again.
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2916 on: February 20, 2011, 05:44:41 AM »
We had very strong winds yesterday; steady 25 gusting to 50 mph. The National Christmas Tree in the Ellipse was knocked over. Nice day temperature wise but outdoor tennis would have been impossible so it is as well that my weekend group has not come together. The cold hit overnight. It is now 31 degrees outside!  My Monday group hopes to play outdoors tomorow morning but it looks now like rain might be moving in. In this sort of weather you just take your tennis when you can.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2917 on: February 20, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »
31 eh?  The same thing happened to us.  It's 28 now but going to be 43 degrees today with a chance of rain.  It was gusts of 25-30 on Friday but yesterday with only about 10 mph.  And you are right, grab the good days when you can.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2918 on: February 23, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
3 Weeks... 

10 Days...

Whats the difference?  My initial intent was to take 3 weeks off but we need a 4th tonight and I do not wish to look for a sub because I want to play.  It's been 10 days...  Here goes nuthin!
Scott Baker

Offline Shanytc

• Tennis Player
  • Chase those yellow tennis balls!
« Reply #2919 on: February 23, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »
are you guys in australia? 31 degress 28.. it's winter! :P
- Shanytc -