Author Topic: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal  (Read 230237 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal
« Reply #2920 on: February 23, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »
I am in Ohio  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2921 on: February 23, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
One of the guys who I called yesterday to sub for me called me 2 hours before my tennis today to see if I still need a sub.  I gave him my tennis.  That will buy me that last extra week off for the calf, see if it helps.
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2922 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
are you guys in australia? 31 degress 28.. it's winter! :P

Here we use the quaint old Fahrenheit temperature scale with  32 degrees = freezing water.

By the way, Scott, my partner who has been out with the strained tendon is adventurously coming back slowly tomorrow, Thursday, night.
Shall let you know how it goes.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2923 on: February 24, 2011, 06:57:49 AM »
One of the guys who I called yesterday to sub for me called me 2 hours before my tennis today to see if I still need a sub.  I gave him my tennis.  That will buy me that last extra week off for the calf, see if it helps.
Don't forgets da Rehab! :head-bash:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2924 on: February 24, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
Yeah, I figured you would weigh in on that. 

Still doing the calf raises my neighbor has me doing, I can still feel the calf.  As of next Wed it doesn't matter anymore.  Tennis continues healthy or not.
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2925 on: February 25, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
Good general info- 

http://www.drdegroot.com/newPages/achillesinjuries.htm

http://www.physioroom.com/images/anatomy/calf_sprain_1.gif

Another perspective- 
http://injuryrehabadvice.com/videos/foot_ankle/calf_strain/index.php
Potential soft tissue and nerve damage.
Active rest using pain as your guide.
Ice.  (how many times do I have to say it?)
Strengthening and stretching.

Get 'R Done Mister!!! :)>>>>  I don't want you joining me on the DL. :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2926 on: February 25, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »
Thanks yo.  The calf has been hurting a little more the last 2 days and I am almost 2 weeks off of tennis.  I am putting the calf raises on hold today.  I would like to talk to a doctor.  I do not talk to my neighbor much and I do not want to bug him about the injury.

I just want to play tennis.
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2927 on: February 26, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
Thanks yo.  The calf has been hurting a little more the last 2 days and I am almost 2 weeks off of tennis.  I am putting the calf raises on hold today.  I would like to talk to a doctor.  I do not talk to my neighbor much and I do not want to bug him about the injury.

I just want to play tennis.
I'm a 'full speed ahead' type of guy, but I can't stess enough how important it is for you to learn how to deal with these nagging injuries in a way that will allow you to play tennis into your '90s.  Obviously I did not have this mindset 5-10 years ago when I was on court 4+ hours a day 3-7 days a week.  While I'm dispensing unasked for advice another 'hot' topic (pun intended) is protection from the sun while on court during the outdoor season.  Just ask the Aussies, they are hip to this already.  We return you now to your regularly scheduled program.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2928 on: February 26, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
I always try to use sun block but there are times I forget.  It's a good reminder right before it gets nice outside, time to get some new spf 50...
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2929 on: February 26, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
I always try to use sun block but there are times I forget.  It's a good reminder right before it gets nice outside, time to get some new spf 50...
One of me fair-skinned, Aussie Sis-in-Laws spends 12+ hours a day outdoors and has been stressing this for years.  The best protection is clothing, followed by lotion.

Have heeded her urgings and purchased a wide brim hat for my outdoor work/gardening/play this spring-summer.  Not much help at the moment as the snow continues to pile up here with another 10 inches yesterday.

Tough for a competitive player to play tenny with a wide brimmed hat though.  :farmer:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2930 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »

Hear it from one of them. :lol-cry:

I need it mostly at the summer tournaments like Legg Mason and Cincy. At the AO I was inside or in shadow much of the time. At the tournaments I have a big brimmed hat; when playing a regular cap with a large brim is fine. I use spf 50 and it really works. As Scott suggests, if you forget, you know it, several hours later.

It was not always like this. We never used it as kids in Australia. As I confess to my dermatolgist every year or so;
"sins of my youth". :crying:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:43:03 PM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2931 on: February 26, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »
Yup yup, I burned on occasion as a Yute, but nothing like these days.  Now that I don't play tennis, I notice on the boat.  Mostly the tops of the ears and my eyes suffer badly from hours of casting and bending of the elbow.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2932 on: February 26, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »
Awww man, on the boat you get cooked and then some from that stinking reflection! 

I forget sun block at the last T4U get together, that had me kinda nervous.  I keep sun block in the tennis bag unless the kids sneak it out... 
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2933 on: February 27, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »
I have been icing the last few days, it has made the calf feel substantially better, for now.  Feel no pain today but not walking much as I sit here and work.  I will continue to ice (good call MT) and see how it goes.  I was planning on returning to the court Wed, that would be the 2 1/2 week mark.  But since I got off on a delayed start with the ice and I did all those calf raises that made it really ache, I think I will postpone the comeback at least a week or so.  I am already 2 weeks rusty, an extra week or two will not kill me.  I just want to get past this.  I have a lot of running on the court i want to do this summer, want to do it with a healthy calf!!!
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2934 on: February 27, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
It's amazing what regular icing can do.
Small wonder that some form of ice bath is standard for most pros after training and competition.

Hang in there buddy, I'm sure you're starting to get the shakes from withdrawal. :shakey:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline ocdavep

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2935 on: February 27, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
Good thing you're actually getting yourself back to 100% rather than letting this come back and attack you every few months! Now hurry up and get healthy so we can go break some strings!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2936 on: February 28, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
Good thing you're actually getting yourself back to 100% rather than letting this come back and attack you every few months! Now hurry up and get healthy so we can go break some strings!
More wise counsel!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2937 on: February 28, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
Still icing.  I hit the ice in bed and then passed out last night, I figured no better time.  :)

Still has an overall tightness, but no pain to walk today.  Not sure when I will feel comfortable starting to walk on the treadmill and then start running on the treadmill.  I could see doing some decent walking next week and see how I feel after.  I would probably want to walk for at least 4-5 days before I try jogging. 

Still have not talked to my neighbor yet to get his thoughts.  After all those calf raises, not sure I want to start doing them again just yet.  That might be next week if the walking feels good. 

OSU is going to crap himself when he finds out I probably need more time off.  I told his yesterday I am bailing for this Wed (which was my initial return date).

At least it is cold outside!
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2938 on: February 28, 2011, 08:09:16 AM »
Still icing.  I hit the ice in bed and then passed out last night, I figured no better time.  :)

Still has an overall tightness, but no pain to walk today.  Not sure when I will feel comfortable starting to walk on the treadmill and then start running on the treadmill.  I could see doing some decent walking next week and see how I feel after.  I would probably want to walk for at least 4-5 days before I try jogging. 

Still have not talked to my neighbor yet to get his thoughts.  After all those calf raises, not sure I want to start doing them again just yet.  That might be next week if the walking feels good. 

OSU is going to crap himself when he finds out I probably need more time off.  I told his yesterday I am bailing for this Wed (which was my initial return date).

At least it is cold outside!
Active rest using pain as your guide.
Start slowly, increase activity gradually using pain as your guide.  At the first sign of pain stop immediately and ice then drop down a step on your active rest scale.  The target is several sessions of pain free full sprints and lateral bursts BEFORE returning to the court.  Don't forget to ice even if there is no pain.  It's a long slow road but follow the lead of the pros.  Sometimes it takes them 6 months to a year to recover from injury.  The other choice is to keep playing while it hurts and your tennis career may well be over for good before you hit 50. :)~
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2939 on: February 28, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
I want to play tennis far past 50!!!  Good call on icing even if it does not hurt.  I will stay on that ice.  I have never been much of an ice person, but I have always healed up fairly quickly in the past.  Not no mo'.
Scott Baker