Author Topic: Tennis4you - Tennis Journal  (Read 224001 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis4you - Tennis Journal
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2006, 09:13:20 PM »
I had the pleasure, no, the honor, no, the spendor to once again play with the Notorius VIC tonight.  We had to face off against OSU Buckeye and another of our league mates.  We lost the first set 4-6.  There were a lot of breaks in the first set.  I think we broke twice and got broken 3 times.  Pretty bad.  There were some good points and some bad.  But still a fun set.

We took charge in the second set and broke while up 5-2 to seal the set 6-2.  We did not get broken in the second set.  OSU Buckeye served a ball, comes to the net, punches the volley deep to my backhand.  I hit a pretty good dipper cross court with a top spin backhand.  OSU lunges for the ball and hits a dropper (or as he says "da droppa").  This bastard (yeah, I said it) hits the drop shot and then he had the nerve to hit it with enough backspin that it bounces back over the net onto his side.  As soon as I hit the shot and saw him down low I thought he might hit the dropper so I rushed in.  Needless to say I was nowhere near it, ever.

We then stayed on serve until 4-4.  We had OSU at 0-40 on his serve but he pulled through and held serve to go to 4-4.  I was down 15-40 in my service game and dug out of that hole and we were up 5-4.  We broke for the match, 6-4.  VIC was hitting some pretty sweet returns.  

I am pretty tired, I am hoping to bail on tomorrow's tennis and rest.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2006, 10:39:59 PM »
I thought you sliced most of your backhands, Scott?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2006, 05:56:06 AM »
I have been hitting more and more topspin (one handed) backhands.  I can hit it pretty well as long as the ball does not get over my shoulder.  I need to slice the higher ones.  And being as short as I am they get high on me quick.  The last few years I think doubles has forced me to improve on my one hander.  I used it in singles some when people came to the net, but it has improved 10 fold in the last 2-3 years.  I can really "T" off on it now.  I think it is more consistant than my forehand.  But again, only on shots that are nto over my shoulder.  I tore one down the line hard core last night past OSU.  I forget the comment he made, but it was one sweet ass backhand.
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2006, 08:58:42 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I have been hitting more and more topspin (one handed) backhands.  I can hit it pretty well as long as the ball does not get over my shoulder.  I need to slice the higher ones.  And being as short as I am they get high on me quick.  The last few years I think doubles has forced me to improve on my one hander.  I used it in singles some when people came to the net, but it has improved 10 fold in the last 2-3 years.  I can really "T" off on it now.  I think it is more consistant than my forehand.  But again, only on shots that are nto over my shoulder.  I tore one down the line hard core last night past OSU.  I forget the comment he made, but it was one sweet ass backhand.

I didn't think I made much of a comment to you other than nice shot, because it cut me pretty deep!  Thing is, on that point my partner hit a shot that I thought for sure you were just going to hit back to his side with the deep roll.  I wanted to poach it and make you pay and instead you hit the perfect shot with perfect controlled pace...a truly nasty shot down the line, and why it hurt so much.  Kudos!  
And in other news, are you getting slower?  I think I hit 2 or 3 droppers that you couldn't quite get to, which is hard to do!   :)~

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2006, 09:02:19 AM »
BTW, I had been meaning to compliment how well you have been using your 1-hand backhand!  It seems to me you have been hitting it much more in control and placing it right where you want it!  Keep that s**te up! :))

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #245 on: December 07, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »
I am digging the one hander.  I tried to hit one off of one of your first serves last night but it went down the middle and DW pretty much took care of it before it got back to you.

You hit two droppers on me last night.  One was the dropper from the post above, Chang himself would have no shot, that was plain sick.

I was very pissed at myself for not chasing down the other.  I hesitated, then ran, then slowed down for some reason and sped back up.  It was all messed up.  I was only 4-5 feet from it when it bounced the second time.  I could have been there had I just went.  What I would of done with the ball once I got to it is another story, always tough to hit a good shot from that position.  But I should have been there.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2006, 08:24:28 PM »
Played USTA again tonight.  One of the guys we had to play was 4.0, and probably not a very strong one.  We played pretty relaxed, we would of had to play pretty badly to lose.  We ended up winning 6-3, 6-2.  We played another set for fun and won 6-2.  I didn't play very well but didn't really need to.  My partner and I have a problem focusing in matches like that.  If it would have gotten close I think we could of stepped it up.

My knee hurts today, I am not sure why.  I forgot my knee brace when we played on Wed and I just used one that wasn't nearly as good.  My knee felt fine during that match and it was several days ago, so maybe that was the problem.  I have a few more days to rest it before my next match.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »
I played 3 times since I last posted in the Journal.  They were all pretty uneventful matches.  I didn;t play well at all the first two but I cleaned it up nicely last night.  Which is a good thing because tonight I play USTA again with the Notorius VIC.
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #248 on: December 18, 2006, 03:34:49 PM »
And, how did that go for ya?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2006, 03:43:59 PM »
It has been a week since I have touched a racquet and it sucks.  Looks like I will be hitting the courts tomorrow.  Bout time!
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #250 on: December 27, 2006, 08:03:27 PM »
Played dubs with OSU Buckeye against the 2 guys who beat us in straight sets last week.  We had a rough start.  I dumped 2 volleys in OSU's 1st or second service game that cost us a break.  The return of serve was smacked right at me both times and this guys hits with a ton of spin.  Between getting out of the way and judging the spin I hit one 6" deep and the other into the net.  That sucks bad, I was a horrible net man in the first set.  We lost the first set 4-6.  We were on serve at 4-5 but OSU got smacked down at love?

We played better in the second set and they played worse.  We jumped up 5-1 before they held for 5-2.  We then sealed the deal 6-2 on OSU's serve.

Third set was weird.  We again jumped out in front 4-1.  They get back to 4-3 but we were serving.  OSU holds, they hold and then I held.  I was going to just throw in kick serves for my last game but OSU told me to attack the serve so I did.  I think I hit 2 unreturnable first serves and OSU took care of anything that came over that game...  

We needed revenge for lats week.  Jeffro came out and hit for a little bit afterwards.  Yes, the great Jeffro is back.  He brought his camera and took some pics of our match, I fear those might hit this forum tomorrow or in the near future.  I told him if it was a picture with me missing my shot I will just delete those.  :)

I get to hit with dmastous tomorrow.  We hit once this summer while he is in town.  Jeffro will be joining us for a bit too as he works his way back onto the courts.  Should be fun!
Scott Baker

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2006, 11:55:03 PM »
is jeffro hurt, or is he hurtin' cuz of the baby?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #252 on: December 28, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
is jeffro hurt, or is he hurtin' cuz of the baby?

Both!?!?  He was hurt for a while and was taking time off and he has been helping the wifey with the new kid!  I guess he is ready to ease his way back into some tennis now!   ://

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #253 on: December 28, 2006, 11:03:22 AM »
That's it?  No thoughts on last nights match?
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #254 on: December 28, 2006, 11:04:11 AM »
Played dubs with OSU Buckeye against the 2 guys who beat us in straight sets last week.  We had a rough start.  I dumped 2 volleys in OSU's 1st or second service game that cost us a break.  The return of serve was smacked right at me both times and this guys hits with a ton of spin.  Between getting out of the way and judging the spin I hit one 6" deep and the other into the net.  That sucks bad, I was a horrible net man in the first set.  We lost the first set 4-6.  We were on serve at 4-5 but OSU got smacked down at love?

We played better in the second set and they played worse.  We jumped up 5-1 before they held for 5-2.  We then sealed the deal 6-2 on OSU's serve.

Third set was weird.  We again jumped out in front 4-1.  They get back to 4-3 but we were serving.  OSU holds, they hold and then I held.  I was going to just throw in kick serves for my last game but OSU told me to attack the serve so I did.  I think I hit 2 unreturnable first serves and OSU took care of anything that came over that game...  

We needed revenge for lats week.  Jeffro came out and hit for a little bit afterwards.  Yes, the great Jeffro is back.  He brought his camera and took some pics of our match, I fear those might hit this forum tomorrow or in the near future. I told him if it was a picture with me missing my shot I will just delete those.  :)

I get to hit with dmastous tomorrow.  We hit once this summer while he is in town.  Jeffro will be joining us for a bit too as he works his way back onto the courts.  Should be fun!

I can't wait!  Those pics were sweet!  He has a new sweet camera where you hold down the button and it takes continuous pictures.  Looking at the pics, you could remember the points as if you were watching video, since he was able to capture 4 pics per point during some of the points.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #255 on: December 28, 2006, 11:05:01 AM »
That's it?  No thoughts on last nights match?

I will comment in my journal later!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #256 on: December 28, 2006, 11:12:21 AM »
Freebird plays Ross Wilson tonight.  lol, awesome!
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #257 on: December 28, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »
Freebird plays Ross Wilson tonight.  lol, awesome!

Yeah, I stopped in and watched some of that tourney, and Freebird's match.  That tourney is plain sickness!  There are all kinds of College duos and high school prodigys!  Needless to say, there was some serious doubles being played last night!  I felt like I was watching the Bryan bros.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #258 on: December 28, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
U lucky hoe.  I wish I was there last night.  Oh well...
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2006, 07:15:36 PM »
dmastous and I got together today since he was in town, well, 40 minutes away or so visiting family...  We hit at the local club for about 90 minutes before our time was up.  Jeffro joined in the fun for the first hour.  We just practiced but it was good fun and exercise.  I could see the improvement in dmastous' game from last time we hit.  I think he said he has been getting out on the court lately than he had in the past.  Good fun.  

For the rest of you tennis junkies.  If you are ever in Columbus, Ohio and want to hit, let me know.
Scott Baker