Author Topic: thephoenixforce - Tennis Journal  (Read 4285 times)

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
thephoenixforce - Tennis Journal
« on: April 10, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »
Well, yesteday i played my best friend and lost 4,1 (it got dark)

anyway, i was happy with how i served, i hit a few good aces, but i could not hit a backhand to save my life! they kept popping up, and it was really annoying, but, my forehands werent bad, but i was mad about my inability to hit a winner, and the only shot i was hitting really well were the drop shots

so over all, i wasnt happy with how i played at all

"The Podcast [X-cast] sounds really cool!" - Brett Ratner

Ehh, I win battles, not wars.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 04:51:56 PM »
Dark conditions suck.  Wind is something you can deal with, but not being able to see the ball is just plain tough.  

You said you were not happy with not being able to hit a winner.  Were you missing deep, wide, into the net, or was your opponent just running everything down?

As for your backhand, if I struggle with a shot I try to stick to the basics and try not to hit anything fancy until I feel like I have better control of the shot.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 04:53:53 PM »
i kept hitting them into the net

grr

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 04:57:48 PM »
Keep your eye on that ball.  If you lift your head up the face of the racquet usually goes up with it, trust me, I know this all too well.  But if can cause you to net a lot of shots.  So can getting on your back foot, something else I know a lot of unfortunetly...  Get under that ball, hit some good topspin and keep that weight moving forward if you can.  (If my league mates read that they will laugh at me, I have some bad habits in that category)
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:05:54 PM »
I agree with Scott. My main thing when I'm hitting out is pulling my head up out of my shots. Remember to stay planted (don't jump when you hit, I do that sometimes too) and keep your head down until the shot is completely over. It'll do wonders for shots that go long.

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 06:10:38 PM »
ok, thanks

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:12:03 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
I agree with Scott. My main thing when I'm hitting out is pulling my head up out of my shots. Remember to stay planted (don't jump when you hit, I do that sometimes too) and keep your head down until the shot is completely over. It'll do wonders for shots that go long.

I think that that was also one of the problems with my forehand...
Be the change that you seek.

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »
I think i should add my stats

hmm, lets see

Basic Info:

Age: For me to know and other people to hopefully never find out
Height: 5'2"

Hand: Right

Backhand: Oh, ive messed with it so much lately i dont even know

Strengths: Dropshot, Variety, Serving, Volleys

Weaknesses: Groundstrokes, espec backhand, plus im short, so it is easy to get things past me

Level: probably 3.5-4.5 depending on the day

Best/favorite Stroke: Serve (recently, after much boring practice, it has become quite deadly)

Style: Love to get up to the net to volley, when playing singles i play alot of drop shots, when playing doubles i put them away down the alleys (quite possibly my favorite shot ever)

Needs to work on: Groundstrokes and overall consistency

Thanks to SerenaSlam06 for the Basic Info uhh thing

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 12:17:32 PM »
Well, i played with my friend yesterday and i was playing awful! especially for my footwork, it just seemed like i was getting to the shot a half a second late and it threw off all of my timing. Plus, i couldnt hit a backhand to save my life. And my forehands were either sailing long or into the net. I just couldnt keep the ball in play yesterday. I just dont know what caused it, well maybe the footwork and that i was reaching to get to my shots and so i wasnt hitting them as well as i should have been able to
what do you think?

we didnt play any actual points yesterday cause it was hot so i wasnt able to use my one weapon (the serve).

also, random side note, i forgot water yesterday, so that made playing in the 85 degree (highest temp since the middle of september) weather very fun

so, overall, not happy with how i played at all

TPF out

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 01:29:50 PM »
Quote from: "thephoenixforce"
Well, i played with my friend yesterday and i was playing awful! especially for my footwork, it just seemed like i was getting to the shot a half a second late and it threw off all of my timing. Plus, i couldnt hit a backhand to save my life. And my forehands were either sailing long or into the net. I just couldnt keep the ball in play yesterday. I just dont know what caused it, well maybe the footwork and that i was reaching to get to my shots and so i wasnt hitting them as well as i should have been able to
what do you think?

we didnt play any actual points yesterday cause it was hot so i wasnt able to use my one weapon (the serve).

also, random side note, i forgot water yesterday, so that made playing in the 85 degree (highest temp since the middle of september) weather very fun

TPF out

If you are missing forehands make sure you are watching the ball.  

3.5 - 4.5 eh?  That is quite a span...  The difference between the two is night and day.  A 4.5 player should be able to jog around the court and never have to run and beat a 3.5 player 6-0, 6-1.  The 1 game the 4.5 lost woul dbe a mercy game.

5'-2" eh?  I am a whopping 5'-4", it has not held me back yet.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »
what do you think?

TPF out

I know what ur talkin about w/ the backhand. I USED to be like that. But what I found was that I almost never turned my body enough to hit a propper backhand. The key is, to look at it like a forhand, but flip-flopped. And also, remember to bend ur knees. As far as footwork goes, it really comes down to always keep them moving. After u hit the ball, u should be bouncing around on ur toes so that when it's time to move, it's all instincts. ;-()
Be the change that you seek.

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 05:31:48 PM »
yeah i know but i had one of those days

you know where nothing goes right

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 06:48:34 PM »
today, i played with my mother
my, she is getting up there in years but she can still hit the ball around the court
anyway, my serve was massively off during the first set

i won 6-4,6-2

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 01:08:19 AM »
today, i played with my mother
my, she is getting up there in years but she can still hit the ball around the court
anyway, my serve was massively off during the first set

i won 6-4,6-2

Good win against your mum, you had to show her who was the boss out on the court :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 08:10:35 PM »
yeah

i played again today and i won but my team didnt

i won 7-5, 6-3 in a hard fought match im too tired for details

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 08:52:19 PM »
today, i played again and i won 6-0,7-5

i was hitting deadly returns but i couldnt serve and my coach was being an ass telling me stuff i already know and yelling at me about it

so...

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 12:33:39 AM »
Nice win. When on court just try to take in what your coach is saying, but when you are away from the court, tell him that his advice wasn't very useful as you knew what he was telling you and that maybe he should look at other aspects of your game, in order for you to improve and for him to get you the best he can.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 08:08:55 AM »
well, i played my mom again yesterday and won 6-2,6-2 i was pretty happy with how i played, my forehands were good and so were my backhands. Also, my 1st serves were really good but for the first set my 2nds wouldnt go in. And then the second set, i lost the first game (my serve, bad second serve) won the second, lost the 3rd (same reason) and won the next 5

after that 3rd game i realized that my 1st serves were going in better because they were going faster and had better spin, so i just starting hitting the same serve twice in a row and then i kicked ass

wow, that was really fun

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 12:40:33 AM »
ask your coach to teach you the kick serve it is great for a second serve it prevents attacks and is extremely consistent
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil